Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 05:54 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,906,621 times

Advertisements

Garage
Garage
Must be big enough to fit a full sized truck +
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2023, 05:58 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Floor plan and ergonomics of kitchen and bathroom design. Some floor plans make arranging furniture nearly impossible. I’ve seen some kitchens and bathrooms that look like they were designed by someone who never used a kitchen or bathroom. It’s like they thought “here’s a sink and a stove so that’s a kitchen and here’s a sink and a toilet so that’s a bathroom.” I also look at entryways for ease of moving large items in and out the home.

Look at the neighborhood in the day time and then drive by after dark, especially on a Friday or Saturday night. I’ve been to places that looked peaceful and quiet in the daytime but looked like an episode of Cops after dark.

Old 06-24-2023, 06:38 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,487,156 times
close to a shopping center for your day to day needs,like supermarket,walgreen/CVS,drycleaning,fast food carry out,gas station.
No crimen, homeless bums.

Old 06-24-2023, 07:39 AM

2,024 posts, read 1,316,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
Quiet, respectful, tidy/clean neighbors who upkeep their property is #1 for me. I don't know how you would evaluate the quiet/respectful aspect when you come to look at the house though.

A bit of nature around the property, even just a small garden with a tree would be nice. I can't afford acreage.

Walking paths that allow walking somewhere. Many neighborhoods are built off busy main roads and there isn't a safe way to walk from the house to a park or town. Having parks nearby is pointless if you always have to get in the car and drive to them.
That sounds like my list. I prefer to live in the city or suburbs.
First is a neighborhood of people who keep their place relatively tidy, but I'm not bothered by weedy lawns or even the return to prairie yards. But I am bothered by peeling paint, junk in the yard, or eight cars parked across the yard.
I'm retired and I just gotta have access from my front door to a few miles of walking paths and sidewalks. And it would be nice if those paths to go by some non-chain places to eat.
I almost forgot - the best is when many of my neighbors are also out walking, especially if they have their flooders on lease.

Last edited by Thulsa; 06-24-2023 at 08:02 AM..

Old 06-24-2023, 09:25 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Nearby restaurants and grocery stores near enough with well lit roads where I can drive at night.

Neighborhood with very limited or no children.

No stairs to get in the front door. No stairs inside the house to reach the kitchen, family room, master bedroom, a full bathroom (no tub required) AND an office or guest bedroom.

Old 06-24-2023, 10:09 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Location, location, location. Everything else can be fixed.

Qualify that: price also, because you can fix everything else, but it usually takes money to do it.

Old 06-24-2023, 10:13 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times
Privacy and quiet
Views
Convenience to shopping, medical care, etc.
Home features and size

I generally settle for 3 out of the 4; our first house wasn't private or quiet, the second was not convenient, and our current home is...kind of funky. But the views were great for each!

Old 06-24-2023, 10:29 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,158,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
This is a thread where there absolutely are no wrong answers as long as you are being honest with yourself.

If someone comes in and tries to rain on your parade, please refer them to this starting post and this comment: "When someone shares something that is of value to them and you don't agree, please don't try to put them down to inflate your own values. Accept that we are all different and at different stages in the life journey. Thank you."

I have lived in any number of places, and had a variety of experiences. I started to detail those, but my examples started to distract from the question.

What is it in the setting of a home that makes it valuable to you? I'm not talking about amenities that are something you can buy to make a home more comfortable or nice. I am more interested in what you value as surroundings. It might be restaurants, closeness to work, night-life, family, - anything.

If you had your druthers, what would you want surrounding your home?
If I had my druthers, perfect world, etc, my home would be close to water. Honestly, I think living in a swampy environment would be amazing. I'd have a fishing dock, and a porch facing the water, and that's where I'd spend all my time.

Old 06-24-2023, 10:47 AM

2,024 posts, read 1,316,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
If I had my druthers, perfect world, etc, my home would be close to water. Honestly, I think living in a swampy environment would be amazing. I'd have a fishing dock, and a porch facing the water, and that's where I'd spend all my time.

That's kinda like my dream too

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XZubL4mZ5n0

Old 06-24-2023, 11:27 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
Location, view, orientation of house (back cannot face west!), outdoor privacy space, lux master bath, good counter space in kitchen, good garage space, away from traffic noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House