Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 06:34 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
That reminds me I forgot a very important one - NO HOA!
That was our very top priority when we were looking a few years ago.

Since we are in Florida, my husband wanted up to date building (new codes).

Recognizing that any neighborhood can have one-off issues, we wanted to be somewhere we could walk our dogs at night and not feel vulnerable.

We didn't want to be too far from work or retail.

Schools didn't matter because we don't have kids.

We did want three or four bedrooms to have guest space, office space, and a craft room for me. And a garage that we mostly use for storage

Someday, maybe, lots of land for animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2023, 09:26 AM

9,131 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Different buying requirements for buying at different points in our lives.

Early homes needed good internal traffic flow since we entertained with very large parties and open houses!

Later homes' floor plans didn't matter much as our entertaining stopped.

Very flexible realizing that no house will satisfy everyone.

Old 06-26-2023, 11:05 AM

4,205 posts, read 4,457,265 times
Probably been mentioned but it will depend on where one is in the life cycle along with lifestyle.

For me about 25 years ago when I moved for a job, I had location as priority (midpoint between work and airport) since I would be traveling a lot, and didn't care so much about the living quarters other than it was in a safer location and convenient to parks and shopping.

Most recent purchase was again location but with consideration to aging in place. Again, close to parks and shopping (I can walk even though I have car). Amenities of most importance available.

If I was buying a single family home I would look for same variables:
Location (to most everyday activities, demographics of neighborhood, safety response, traffic access issues, away from nuisance type areas of activity or noise, proximity to family)
Condition of residence (estimate of baseline work I would have to put into it to meet my criteria) a manageable amount of property to maintain.

If I had children of school age then local education system quality/options gets added to the above.

Old 06-26-2023, 11:20 AM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1 View Post
VERY true about neighbors. You can fix a roof or a creaky floor boards but not idiot neighbors.
True but it's hard to control who your neighbors will be and how they will act. If they do something illegal, you can get the cops involved but that frequently makes relations worse and may not be worth it.

I like living on my acreage (13) out in the country so I don't need to worry much about what my neighbors do or don't do.

What I wanted and got was an old house on a paved road, but with enough land to do at least a little shooting. Mostly just .22 rimfire. Plenty of room to add a good garage, some sheds for wood and tractors, other implements.

Old 06-26-2023, 11:44 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Space
Garage (didn't realize how important that was till I had one)
Good Neighbors
Trees

I have all of that, landed on one acre, next to my Dad who has 9 but he is 94. We/he has done everything to make sure it's an acre I can care for, except pruning large trees. Since 2008 we have downed about 15 trees in the back. 15 miles to downtown and 12 to groceries and hospital.

Old 06-26-2023, 04:51 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
This is a thread where there absolutely are no wrong answers as long as you are being honest with yourself.

If someone comes in and tries to rain on your parade, please refer them to this starting post and this comment: "When someone shares something that is of value to them and you don't agree, please don't try to put them down to inflate your own values. Accept that we are all different and at different stages in the life journey. Thank you."

I have lived in any number of places, and had a variety of experiences. I started to detail those, but my examples started to distract from the question.

What is it in the setting of a home that makes it valuable to you? I'm not talking about amenities that are something you can buy to make a home more comfortable or nice. I am more interested in what you value as surroundings. It might be restaurants, closeness to work, night-life, family, - anything.

If you had your druthers, what would you want surrounding your home?

I want enough space around my house. In that, it's not packed in tightly with the other houses in the neighborhood. I don't appreciate neighbors saying "Gesundteit" when I sneeze.

Old 06-26-2023, 05:43 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
This is a thread where there absolutely are no wrong answers as long as you are being honest with yourself.

If someone comes in and tries to rain on your parade, please refer them to this starting post and this comment: "When someone shares something that is of value to them and you don't agree, please don't try to put them down to inflate your own values. Accept that we are all different and at different stages in the life journey. Thank you."

I have lived in any number of places, and had a variety of experiences. I started to detail those, but my examples started to distract from the question.

What is it in the setting of a home that makes it valuable to you? I'm not talking about amenities that are something you can buy to make a home more comfortable or nice. I am more interested in what you value as surroundings. It might be restaurants, closeness to work, night-life, family, - anything.

Empty beaches, with 100 yds of sugar sand, and 6-8 foot waves that are hollow. Oh, and 75F water temp.

Nice and refreshing, but not so warm as to support a hurricane.

I guess I'll just have to put up with my current 33 minute walk to the beach, and 65F water with 2-3' knee slappers that are crumbly...

Old 06-28-2023, 01:58 PM

156 posts, read 165,671 times
Backyard
The cosmetics - Evaluate what needs repairs
Nice view

Old 06-29-2023, 02:58 PM

1,905 posts, read 897,492 times
Quote:

I'm late to the party, but we want to live on or near a body of water. We finally bought a home on a very small, shallow sluice of a lake, that is just deep enough that we can get our little deck boat back to our property, which came with a tiny dock. The house was built in 1985 so it's pretty dated, but it had what we wanted: the lake.

Last edited by clevergirl67; 06-29-2023 at 03:10 PM..

Old 06-29-2023, 03:03 PM

1,905 posts, read 897,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Well everyone is pretty much listing things I look for. I also don’t want to be on a busy or noisy street. I amazed how many build 5k plus square foot homes on a busy road here in Georgia. I never saw that back in California.

Agreed! I live here and I wonder if these people have kids or dogs? I would be terrified to own a house on a busy road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House