Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2023, 05:38 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times

Advertisements

This is a thread where there absolutely are no wrong answers as long as you are being honest with yourself.

If someone comes in and tries to rain on your parade, please refer them to this starting post and this comment: "When someone shares something that is of value to them and you don't agree, please don't try to put them down to inflate your own values. Accept that we are all different and at different stages in the life journey. Thank you."

I have lived in any number of places, and had a variety of experiences. I started to detail those, but my examples started to distract from the question.

What is it in the setting of a home that makes it valuable to you? I'm not talking about amenities that are something you can buy to make a home more comfortable or nice. I am more interested in what you value as surroundings. It might be restaurants, closeness to work, night-life, family, - anything.

If you had your druthers, what would you want surrounding your home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2023, 05:42 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Land and a barn for animals. When we bought our place, our realtor always thought we were joking when we said we wanted to look at the barns first.

(It's part of what made us want to go into the business... and specialize in farm properties. )

Old 06-23-2023, 06:06 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
In the immediate neighborhood, well kept up homes with no RV or boat parking allowed. In the general vicinity - a growing suburban area with a good grocery store, Walmart and a nice selection of restaurants. We moved a few years ago to a truly outlying suburb and I am so tired of having to drive 10 miles or more if I need something besides the grocery store, gas or fast food.

Old 06-23-2023, 09:00 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Location, location, location!

Work, shopping, health care, schools…the order would must likely be dictated to generational status.

Old 06-23-2023, 09:17 PM

61,651 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Location, floor plan and condition. Other than that, nothing really. I have a car
Work might change, restaurants open and close, nightlife - I want me peace and quiet .. l am not going to keep moving just because of that.

Old 06-23-2023, 09:25 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,022,421 times
A peaceful setting, a nice view, decent neighbors, low crime rate.

Old 06-23-2023, 09:42 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,384,627 times
In this order:

Condition
Floor Plan/functionality

Old 06-23-2023, 09:53 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Location.
Wide open space, acreage.
View, prefer water.
Future $$$ gain.

Old 06-23-2023, 10:37 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
This is a thread where there absolutely are no wrong answers as long as you are being honest with yourself.

If someone comes in and tries to rain on your parade, please refer them to this starting post and this comment: "When someone shares something that is of value to them and you don't agree, please don't try to put them down to inflate your own values. Accept that we are all different and at different stages in the life journey. Thank you."

I have lived in any number of places, and had a variety of experiences. I started to detail those, but my examples started to distract from the question.

What is it in the setting of a home that makes it valuable to you? I'm not talking about amenities that are something you can buy to make a home more comfortable or nice. I am more interested in what you value as surroundings. It might be restaurants, closeness to work, night-life, family, - anything.

If you had your druthers, what would you want surrounding your home?
800 acres....

Ok, since that's not going to happen (again) I'd be happy with a safe neighborhood.

Old 06-24-2023, 05:29 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,413 times
Quiet, respectful, tidy/clean neighbors who upkeep their property is #1 for me. I don't know how you would evaluate the quiet/respectful aspect when you come to look at the house though.

A bit of nature around the property, even just a small garden with a tree would be nice. I can't afford acreage.

Walking paths that allow walking somewhere. Many neighborhoods are built off busy main roads and there isn't a safe way to walk from the house to a park or town. Having parks nearby is pointless if you always have to get in the car and drive to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House