Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 07:40 AM

741 posts, read 1,750,319 times

Advertisements

I am trying to sand and stain the door.

It has been raining on and off every week for few weeks. Please advise how should I plan to work around this job in the midst of the rain.

Can I try the staining on the day there is a forecast of 43% scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon or should I have contiguous 2 days where it is less than 25% chance of rain... or 1 day where it is less than 25% chance of rain.

Please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2023, 07:50 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
also need to consider the humidity

Old 07-15-2023, 09:13 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
On occasions when I used stain and rain followed a few hours later I saw no impact.

Old 07-15-2023, 10:00 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Mask off the door from the elements. Go in and out another way. Shouldn't take too long for the stain to dry.

Old 07-15-2023, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
I am trying to sand and stain the door.

It has been raining on and off every week for few weeks. Please advise how should I plan to work around this job in the midst of the rain.

Can I try the staining on the day there is a forecast of 43% scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon or should I have contiguous 2 days where it is less than 25% chance of rain... or 1 day where it is less than 25% chance of rain.

Please advise.
Reason I am asking is the home is colonial style and there is no cover in front of the front stairs/door.

Old 07-15-2023, 10:37 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
If I were staining an exterior door I would take the door off the hinges and do that operation on sawhorses in my garage or shop. I’d put some plywood or OSB up in its place. I’d use another way to get in the house.

However I live in a semi-rural area and not concerned about security so much.

If you can’t remove and have to stain in place is there any way to protect the exterior facing portion of the door with a tarp? Like is the doorway protected in an entryway or have a roof over it? If not you could attach some 2x4’s above the door a bit and run them at a 45deg angle to the ground and then attach a tarp or plastic drop cloth over that to make a tent. It would look like a lean-to

Old 07-15-2023, 12:05 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
The real answer- you picked the wrong time of year to do it!

Old 07-15-2023, 02:19 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
If I were staining an exterior door I would take the door off the hinges and do that operation on sawhorses in my garage or shop. I’d put some plywood or OSB up in its place. I’d use another way to get in the house.

However I live in a semi-rural area and not concerned about security so much.

If you can’t remove and have to stain in place is there any way to protect the exterior facing portion of the door with a tarp? Like is the doorway protected in an entryway or have a roof over it? If not you could attach some 2x4’s above the door a bit and run them at a 45deg angle to the ground and then attach a tarp or plastic drop cloth over that to make a tent. It would look like a lean-to
This. I just had the exterior of my house painted, including the front door. It's been one of the rainiest summers in the past 15 years. Every week there's been a dry day but that's about it. We still got the job done, it just took longer. My door has some sheltering structure overhead, but it still gets wet due to the prevailing wind direction during storms.

Agree that your best bet might be to attach a temporary 2X4 to any sort of sill or the siding over the door, even to the soffit above. Attach a tarp to the 2X4 long enough to drape over the door. It would keep the prepped surface dry until it can be stained, and protect the new stain until it is dry enough to touch. Don't fasten the tarp down snugly around the sides. The new surface will dry faster if air flows across it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-15-2023 at 03:42 PM..

Old 07-16-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The real answer- you picked the wrong time of year to do it!
When do you think is the right time to do this job... Fall?? Spring??
I live in mid west.. so hard to get sunny days...

Old 07-16-2023, 03:05 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
When do you think is the right time to do this job... Fall?? Spring??
I live in mid west.. so hard to get sunny days...
Look at your area's meteorological records. There are climate websites you can type in the name of your city/area and it will bring up a graph or chart listing the meteorological averages (rainfall, cloud cover, temperatures, humidity, etc.) by month or season. It won't be perfect...the real world doesn't stick to averages. There is probably a season that tends to get the least amount of rain. No one here can tell you what season that might be. Be aware that different paint/stain products can have temperature ranges within which they are best applied. Outside those ranges it can be too cold or too hot. They might dry too fast or too slow to produce the desired result.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-16-2023 at 03:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House