Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 01:03 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times

Advertisements

Too overwhelming for a small room. Using mirrors might be a good idea for more light and to make a room seem bigger, but just one large mirror will do the opposite - it will be out of place and make the room seem too small.

Consider 2 or 3 smaller, strategically placed mirrors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2023, 01:11 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,070,474 times
It's too big/heavy.
It'll bring your whole room down with it's heaviness.

If your space is open and airy, it'll change the whole dynamics of what's going on, or what you're trying to achieve.

jmo

Old 07-23-2023, 01:20 PM

12,834 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
Ironically, the living room is actually pretty small! It is an open floor plan. My delimma is that there is not enough sunlight that radiates through the living room because of all of the trees. By placing this mirror by the wall, I'm hoping for the sunlight to bounce off the mirror to create more light. And since the room is quite small, the mirror will give the illusion that that the living room is bigger. I will try to provide a photo of living room shortly.

No tv in the living room. There is a tv in nearly every other room, so decided to do without one in the living room. As for the mirror, It's far too heavy to mount on to the wall.

HA! you're right, I do like oversized decor!
Hard to tell without a diagram, but if the sunlight isn't getting into the room to start with, the mirror won't create more light. A proper strategically placed and angled mirror might reflect more light into a dark corner so as mentioned by kab0906 several smaller strategically placed mirrors might do the trick.

Old 07-23-2023, 02:01 PM

329 posts, read 262,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I like it. It has a very clean modern look.

I wouldn't have a wall in my house big enough for that mirror, but if you like it and have a place to put it, then go ahead and buy it.
Well it will definitely fill in the wall I am looking to have it placed at with a good amount of empty space on both sides.

I am going to check it out tomorrow morning.

Old 07-23-2023, 02:03 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
I get a strong Fab Fifties vibe from the mirror. It would be wonderful atop one of those big, horizontal Roman Brick fireplace structures from that era. And it would be great resting on a long-&-low built-in credenza. On the floor, it would make sense, beneath a bank of high windows, or beneath a flight of skeletal stairs.

My only reservations, would have to do with logistics (getting it into your home), and liability (if it fell on somebody...).

And I can see it, still on the floor, with a row of four or five bright abstract expressionist paintings hanging above it - those, hung angling-out, with their tops farthest from the wall.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:50 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
It will definitely brighten your room and bounce light.
Post a picture when you get it situated in your LR.

Are you going to put anything on that wall or dedicate it to the mirror?

Old 07-23-2023, 08:01 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Ironically, the living room is actually pretty small! It is an open floor plan. My delimma is that there is not enough sunlight that radiates through the living room because of all of the trees. By placing this mirror by the wall, I'm hoping for the sunlight to bounce off the mirror to create more light. And since the room is quite small, the mirror will give the illusion that that the living room is bigger. I will try to provide a photo of living room shortly.

No tv in the living room. There is a tv in nearly every other room, so decided to do without one in the living room. As for the mirror, It's far too heavy to mount on to the wall.

HA! you're right, I do like oversized decor!
Well, it just might work for what you have in mind!

However, I would be concerned for the weight - it is HUGE, and the frame is IRON. I have a few large-ish mirrors that are nowhere near that size; framed in wood, and even those are INCREDIBLY heavy! Are you sure you want to deal with something like that? You could always do mirror panels on one wall to open up the room and reflect light.

Old 07-24-2023, 05:07 AM

2,104 posts, read 3,008,476 times
Don't sit underneath it.

Old 07-24-2023, 05:42 AM

9,434 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Nope.

Old 07-24-2023, 10:04 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Well the plan is to build a short and long table specifically designed to put the mirror on top of so it will be taller.

That sounds even more hideous that just hanging the mirror by itself. The table would have to be even larger than the mirror and built with very thick materials to be strong enough and proportionate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House