Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 08:59 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times

Advertisements

Nowhere.

I mean, I'd have a "home base" which would probably be right where I am now due to being central to the places I would travel and the fact that I like the house and the neighborhood. The house would get a major renovation, though.

But I'd spend 90% of my time living in hotels, condos, campgrounds, and rental cabins while I traveled around to rodeos, equestrian events, and cowboy music and poetry gatherings. I'd probably come home for Christmas (unless my daughter settles someplace else), the local rodeos, and when I need to change out my wardrobe or vehicle for a different season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2023, 09:43 AM

2,340 posts, read 612,736 times
I'd stay where I am and just have my house remodeled. We want larger Showers - no tub - Expand the living room and kitchen - I'd hire a landscaper to put in flowers in front of the house and set up more gardening places in the backyard. Fenced off so the dogs don't eat the tomatoes LOL. We might build a ADU and hire a live-in housekeeper do deal with dogs and cats when we want to travel. I'd pay off our beach house that we currently rent out AIRBNB - and set it up with someone else to manage it.

Old 07-31-2023, 11:53 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,187,428 times
On my own island - with 4 seasons and with the view of the mountains, the sea or a vast private lake or both in a small place - I don’t like dealing with the help

Old 07-31-2023, 12:31 PM

17,612 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaChris View Post
I'd stay where I am and just have my house remodeled. We want larger Showers - no tub - Expand the living room and kitchen - I'd hire a landscaper to put in flowers in front of the house and set up more gardening places in the backyard. Fenced off so the dogs don't eat the tomatoes LOL. We might build a ADU and hire a live-in housekeeper do deal with dogs and cats when we want to travel. I'd pay off our beach house that we currently rent out AIRBNB - and set it up with someone else to manage it.
My remodel ideas focus on efficiency and leave the design to my wife. We would complete gut the home interior first. Replace all the electrical (currently aluminum wires) and plumbing. Interior walls are all wood paneling so those would be replaced with drywall with good insulation behind all the walls, including the interior walls. Remove the fireplace and chimney. Living room has lovely four wood beams across the ceiling. They’re there just for decorative use. We would get rid of them. They are dust magnets and their rough texture makes it difficult to completely clean. They also restrict good air circulation from the AC vents. Since our home already has natural gas we would keep the gas stove, water heater, and central heat. We would also have a natural gas electric whole home generator installed with automatic transfer switches and service contract. Roofing would be replaced with metal roof. Combination heater, exhaust fan, and ceiling light would be installed in bathroom along with electrical outlets. This being hurricane country I would look into metal roll down shades to cover and protect the outside windows from potential storm damage. They would also act as protection from summer heat. Another option is a set of swing out metal shutters. They hinge above the window and the bottom swings away and locks in place, when swung away and locked in place, the louvers shade the window from the sun but also allow us to look outside like Venetian blinds in open position. When swung to closed position they offer storm protection as well as improved heat protection. In the attic I want a larger outdoor antenna wired to a 3 way splitter and each line goes down the wall to a cable wall socket for antenna tv connection. I would consider under sink tankless water heaters for sink use only.the gas water heater would be used for laundry and bathing. The central air would include an air purification system that includes UV lights, ionizers, and other technology.

Old 07-31-2023, 01:22 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,187,543 times
Summer: Northern Minnesota on a good lake with plenty of acreage to keep people away. A smallish rustic cabin, but must have running heated water

Winter: Florida Keys, if I could kick everyone off so I could have the place to myself.

Old 07-31-2023, 01:28 PM

6,012 posts, read 2,836,906 times
I would build a larger than average house, in a place that experiences four distinct seasons. However, I would rather use my new found wealth to help others. I'd probably pay off my parent's mortgage, possibly even other family member's mortgages. But, most important, I would donate a good chunk to various charities. Tunnel 2 Towers and St. Jude come to mind...

Old 07-31-2023, 01:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I would stay in the same city (Sammamish WA) but would sell our house in the hills and buy a bigger/newer one on Lake Sammamish, such as the one below:

https://margoallan.com/properties/29...-98074-2139871

Old 07-31-2023, 03:42 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would stay in the same city (Sammamish WA) but would sell our house in the hills and buy a bigger/newer one on Lake Sammamish, such as the one below:

https://margoallan.com/properties/29...-98074-2139871
Beautiful house with great views. I don't think I would care for all the steps but that's just me and my aching knees.

Old 07-31-2023, 03:51 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,066,963 times
Exactly where I am now.

Old 07-31-2023, 05:32 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Santa Barbara, CA
Ocean, great weather...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House