Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 09:40 AM

983 posts, read 545,175 times

Advertisements

I would buld a nice cabin on my mountain property, and fix up my current house exactly like I want and continue to live here, take breaks at my cabin. I would have enough money to pay off my daughter's house and buy one for the other daughter. Then I would use the rest to travel and help my cousin move back from Australia, maybe buy her a house too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2023, 02:06 PM

992 posts, read 544,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Carlsbad?

You mean Karlovy Vary?

Edit~ I'd stay put, where I am.
No Carlsbad CA. We go about 3-4 times per year for short vacays but we just dont have the $$ to buy a place there.

Old 08-18-2023, 02:20 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,795,746 times
My same house but I'd have a housekeeper, groundskeeper, cook, etc.

Old 08-18-2023, 11:41 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,901,726 times
Definitely in my present house, neighborhood and city but I would summer in New England and maybe travel a bit more.

Old 08-19-2023, 12:55 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Santa Barbara, CA
Ocean, great weather...
At one point while I was living in LA/OC, I was never home on the weekends.

I spent every weekend in Santa Barbara.

Yeah, the weather is great.

Old 08-19-2023, 02:24 AM

There's a hedge fund billionaire (can't remember his name) who, years ago, decided to do what I would call 'luxury minimalism'.

He had five homes around the world that were all perfectly decorated and had closets full of clothes. He also had a jet. He decided he just didn't want to have to think about owning any of the homes, worrying about them, etc. He wanted to simplify.

So he took his art collection (spread throughout the homes) out of the homes. and put the art in appropriate professional storage.

He also took all of his clothes out the homes.

He then did the relatively minor redecorating needed to 'correct' for the art no longer in each location.

He then sold all of the residences, furniture included.

He picked the clothes he most wanted to keep that would fill up all of the closets in his jet, and then gave away/donated the rest of his clothes.

He then built a building near an airport to properly house all of his art.

Since then, he just lives in five star hotels.

I'd probably do that.

If someone said no....you have to buy places....then....

Two places in Nevada......one being a townhouse in a particular development in Incline Village within walking distance of the lake (Tahoe), and a house in MacDonald Highlands in Henderson on the Dragon Ridge Country Club golf course.

Two places in Florida.....one somewhere on the water with a dock in Pinellas County, and another somewhere along the A1A south of Palm Beach, but north of Delray Beach.

One in Texas.....somewhere on the west side of the Houston metro (my house is in the northern part of the metro in Montgomery County, but I'm basically never there, just check it)

One in Tennessee...in the Chattanooga metro.....Alpine Heights...or somewhere way over on the east side, just or a bit east of Hamilton Place Mall.

Overseas......Two in Italy...a condo in my friend's building in Rapallo on the Ligurian Sea, and a condo in another friend's building (same family) in Milan....one (a condo) in Copenhagen, and one in London near Hampstead Heath (other friends live near Hampstead Heath).

Old 08-19-2023, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I'd be where I already living and turn my life into the Waltons.

All my kids, their wives and husbands, all my grand kids, would live on our land in their own homes. I don't think it would be 'exactly' like the Waltons, but you get the idea.
You sound like my grandfather .

My grandfather, a lifelong Republican, was friends with JFK and Joe Sr., and had been a guest at the Kennedy compound in Hyannis Port.

He bought the first of his kids a house in the town I grew up in. And the same with another on the same block. Then, he and my grandmother decided they wanted to move there.....so my grandfather knocked on the front doors of all the adjacent houses and tried to convince the owners to sell to him (he wanted to create a compound)...no luck. Probably better in the long run because of what they found. They found a house about a mile and a half away. My grandmother walked into the house and looked out the floor to ceiling windows at that great backyard....envisioning present and future grandchildren (my parents were together, but not yet married) swinging on the swings, playing in the sandbox, swimming in the pool, pulling things out of the pool house, running along paths and up and down stairs, climbing trees, etc. She turned to the realtor and said "We'll take it". She didn't even look at anything else in the house before saying that. And everything she envisioned came true. Additionally, before i was born, they bought a house for us in the same town.

Old 08-19-2023, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
On the high dune on some beach in North Carolina in a house with a covered porch facing the ocean, would have to shop around a little to decide on the right property and ideal beach.
Love the Outer Banks....especially from Nags Head to Corolla, but it would be too isolated for my taste to live there full time.

Old 08-19-2023, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
A Parisian Haussmann apartment, 4-5 bedrooms, with tall windows and high ceiling, preferably on the 3rd floor and up with the view of the Eiffel Tower and la Seine. No bigger than 3000 sqft, balcony, all white walls, minimalist kitchen, old world wall molding, antique furniture, parquet floor and extreme privacy. In 16th arrondissement and a private courtyard in a tucked in Haussmann building.

A quiet secluded beach house in Puglia Italy, an intimate, human-scale villa with all white walls, French blue or olive green shutters windows, one acre of land to ensure privacy but NEVER overly luxurious and nouveau-riche shininess.

An old world aristocratic apartment in Milan with everything from 17th to 19th century. Think The Talented Mr. Ripley movie.

No modern “luxury” McMansions and over-the-top ostentatious display of wealth.
That would describe my friend's building in Milan that I mentioned in an earlier post.

Other members of the family live in tall, modern buildings in Milan, but I prefer that old world building.

Old 08-19-2023, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I like where I am right now. But possibly, I might try to buy out the neighbor with the barking dogs and then I could get rid of their gopher sanctuary and their knap weed farm.
LOL . That might be the best post on the thread ^^^^^.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House