Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2023, 08:12 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times

Advertisements

I added a slop sink in my last house when we moved the washer to the carport. Loved it.

But it wound up getting used for gardening stuff, with dirt and rocks accumulating in the drain screen, so we added a second sink ten feet away in the yard. That one wasn't plumbed, just used the hose; it drained into a patch of gravel below. Kept dirt and clay (I do pottery) out of the drains.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 08:23 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
If I didn't have one in the house, I would definitely expect to have one in the garage at least. There are many things I clean that I don't want anywhere near my kitchen sink and are far too big for the bathroom sink. Things like the mop bucket, where are you going to dump that? I guess you could use the bathtub, but then I'd have to clean the tub. Or filling or rinsing out the garden sprayer. My DH soaks his grungy, stinky workout clothes there. I clean the BBQ grates, or the grates from the gas stovetop there, etc. I would feel cheated if I didn't have one in a house I purchased. To me, it's a necessity. We even have a second one in my DH's workshop for his greasy automotive hands, and cleaning garden tools, or cleaning off muddy shoes, etc. The workshop one drains into a large bucket so we don't get mud and grass into the pipes.

Old 08-10-2023, 08:36 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Understanding colloquialisms…

I grew up knowing your “slop sink” as a utility sink. And a “slop sink” was what most people call a mop sink.

Anyway- would always want a slop/utility sink. I prefer one in a base cabinet (storage) over a freestanding.

Old 08-10-2023, 08:46 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWords View Post
Renovating my home and bathroom near laundry room. I was considering removing my slop sink in my laundry room. Is this a bad idea? Would I regret it? I rarely use it now, there is a bathroom adjacent to it. A cabinet would go in it's place. So why might I possibly regret getting rid of the slop sink?

It serves no purpose to me. In fact, when we were shopping for homes, if the laundry room had one of those sinks, I passed on the house.

Last edited by clevergirl67; 08-10-2023 at 08:55 AM..

Old 08-10-2023, 08:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
If you don't need it and are not planning to sell soon, go ahead and yank it out. We like ours but never turn on the water, because I have a drip system timer connected to it, with tubing running through the wall to the garden. We also use it to put a wet mop, or hang wet clothing above it to drip, like a jacket coming in from the rain. BTW I never heard it called a "slop sink", for us it's a "utility sink."

Old 08-10-2023, 09:46 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
We have a deep sink in a cabinet in the laudry. It does come in handy. SO added a commercial sink with drain board to the garage. It is in use daily!

Old 08-10-2023, 10:05 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

I grew up knowing your “slop sink” as a utility sink. And a “slop sink” was what most people call a mop sink.

Anyway- would always want a slop/utility sink. I prefer one in a base cabinet (storage) over a freestanding.
^^^ This!

Slop sinks (mop sinks) are heavy duty cast sinks, usually with a metal protective rail on the edges, set so the edges are no more than two feet from the floor. Traditional main use was emptying mop water and cleaning 12 and 16 oz cloth mop heads. Any place where floors require mopping regularly have them. Every theatre I have been in has at least one.

A sink near a clothes washer is called (wait for it...) a laundry sink!
A home laundry sink is often heavy duty plastic or fiberglass and mounted so the lip is at normal counter height. If freestanding, the front lip is typically narrow and not meant to stand the level of abuse a slop sink gets.

A utility sink could be any sink in a mudroom or garage or shop or shed, mounted at the height and placed where it is useful to the task. It could be a repurposed kitchen sink, slop sink, or laundry sink.

Old 08-10-2023, 10:07 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

We've always called it a laundry sink. I prefer utility, though; it's a better description of the purpose.

Never heard it called slop sink or mop sink before this thread.

Old 08-10-2023, 10:21 AM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Is OP's slop sink at floor level? I've only seen those in schools or hospitals. Don't know if they still use them. As for utility or laundry room sinks - I consider them a must. I wouldn't buy a house without one.

Old 08-10-2023, 10:28 AM

7,486 posts, read 3,219,325 times
I would not eliminate plumbing. If it's an aesthetic issue put a nicer one in. That's my gut reaction. Whenever I have had one I found myriad uses for it. I think you end up using a bathtub when you don't have one and also dump mop water down the toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House