Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 09:19 PM

276 posts, read 988,443 times

Advertisements

Renovating my home and bathroom near laundry room. I was considering removing my slop sink in my laundry room. Is this a bad idea? Would I regret it? I rarely use it now, there is a bathroom adjacent to it. A cabinet would go in it's place. So why might I possibly regret getting rid of the slop sink?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2023, 10:05 PM

19,751 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWords View Post
Renovating my home and bathroom near laundry room. I was considering removing my slop sink in my laundry room. Is this a bad idea? Would I regret it? I rarely use it now, there is a bathroom adjacent to it. A cabinet would go in it's place. So why might I possibly regret getting rid of the slop sink?
I wish I had a basin sink in the laundry. And in the garage.... and in the shop....

You do you. Whatever makes you happy.

Old 08-10-2023, 03:57 AM

4,843 posts, read 3,272,992 times
Quote:

We had one in a semi-custom new construction house that was sized and located in such a way that I think it was an 'afterthought'... like somebody forgot it was kind of 'expected' in that development. Didn't use it often, but it was awfully handy when we did.

Old 08-10-2023, 05:03 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
I use the large sink in our laundry room frequently:
To rinse muddy/grassy outdoor shoes before returning them to the garage.
To clean paint brushes.
To soak stained clothing before putting in the laundry.
To clean large or bulky items I don't want to mess up the kitchen sink with such as grill grates, the refrigerator bins, shelving, etc.
To set indoor plants to drain after watering.

Old 08-10-2023, 05:08 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
When I was growing up we always washed the dog in the laundry room sink. It was much easier than using the bathtub, plus my Mom would never have allowed that anyway. I use my slop sink now primarily for rinsing out paint brushes or rags from cleaning; it's handy for emptying the small wet vac or wet mops as well.

Old 08-10-2023, 05:27 AM

22,590 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
I was considering removing my slop sink in my laundry room. Is this a bad idea? Would I regret it?
I think it is a bad idea. I DO use mine and would want to have one in any home I buy.

Whether you would regret it or not is something only YOU can answer.
Do you have one in your garage? Where would you wash painting supplies, scrub muddy hiking boots, etc?... all the dirty, messy stuff?

Quote:
A cabinet would go in it's place.
How about a sink in the cabinet?

Old 08-10-2023, 06:03 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I use the large sink in our laundry room frequently:
To rinse muddy/grassy outdoor shoes before returning them to the garage.
To clean paint brushes.
To soak stained clothing before putting in the laundry.
To clean large or bulky items I don't want to mess up the kitchen sink with such as grill grates, the refrigerator bins, shelving, etc.
To set indoor plants to drain after watering.

Yep.

And to hand wash certain clothes.
To set wet swimwear to drip dry.
To scrub large, non food related items, such as garage or yard tools.
To set my mop in to dry after mopping the floors.

Basically anything not food related that needs a good cleaning goes in the laundry sink. Now, I don't have one of those cheap white plastic ones. I have a cabinet with a proper sink.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:13 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,025,823 times
I hate not having a slop sink in my laundry room. I never before lived in a house that didn't have one, and after nine years, it still bugs me to no end to have to put my mop water down the toilet and to have to rinse off gross things in my kitchen sink.

If I rubbed a lamp and a genie came out, a slop sink would be my first wish.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:16 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,903,941 times
Our house did not have in in our laundry room so I put one in. Who wants "Nasty Stuff" in their kitchen sink!

Old 08-10-2023, 07:21 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I wouldn’t really like a “set tub” in my laundry room, but in the laundry room of my last house there was a nicer looking deep sink that we could use to wash the dog, or clean paint brushes. I think you should keep a sink, if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House