Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2023, 07:32 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,517,847 times

Advertisements

A couple of months ago, our microwave started acting up. I'd use it for something, and it would work like it's supposed to. Then, when I would close the door after taking the food out, it would go completely dark and unresponsive. There would be no clock displayed, and the 'buttons', if that's what you call them would be unresponsive.

After a minute or two, the microwave would start up again and behave as if it had just been installed. After I set the clock, the microwave would be ready to use again, and after a single use, it would behave the same as described above. Lather, rinse, repeat.

A few weeks later it went back to working completely normally. It stopped going dark after each use, and so for a few weeks it was working completely normally without any problems whatsoever.

A few days ago, it went totally dark and inert, and will not boot itself.

So my question is, does this sound like a blown fuse? It's important to me to know this because this is an OTR microwave, and if I can fix it by removing the front panel and replacing the fuse, that would be a lot simpler than buying a new one.

Bonus question, what kind of fuse would I need? It's a Samsung model SMH8165ST. I would really like to have a replacement fuse in hand before I start taking it apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 08:13 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
There are security screws on microwaves for a reason. Bluntly, they are NOT user repairable unless you are at the level of handling ultra-high voltage safely AND understand exactly what you are doing and why.

If you don't manage to kill yourself, think of how hard it is to put a fire out in an appliance that is built-in, has a vent to the outside, and lives in an environment where there can be grease buildup.

A new one is under $300 usually. If you are going to the effort of removing the existing one for service, do yourself a favor and replace it entirely. That is a safer task, usually comes with a warranty, and is less likely to cause problems down the road.

I've worked with flyback circuits and high voltage in CRT monitors and old televisions, and even with that knowledge would be replacing rather than attempting a repair on these.

Old 08-15-2023, 09:26 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,871 times
That model seem to still be sold. Perhaps it's still under warranty. Write down the model number & serial number. Find a 800 number for Samsung and call them

The 2 or 3 over the range microwaves that I have installed have a power plug in in the cabinet above. could the power plug be falling out making the power intermittent?

Old 08-16-2023, 03:48 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Bonus question, what kind of fuse would I need?
The kind the qualified technician installs.
Quote:
...before I start taking it apart.
Learn what a capacitor is and how to work around them.

Old 08-16-2023, 07:10 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,736,569 times
I don't want to mess with a microwave. A few weeks ago I opened the door and it came back on. After a couple more attempts with the same results I ordered a new nicer bigger one from Walmart for $179 and they delivered it that afternoon. The old one went to the dump.

I've never liked the ones mounted over the range. I'm short.

Old 08-16-2023, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I don't want to mess with a microwave. A few weeks ago I opened the door and it came back on. After a couple more attempts with the same results I ordered a new nicer bigger one from Walmart for $179 and they delivered it that afternoon. The old one went to the dump.

I've never liked the ones mounted over the range. I'm short.
Were your old and new microwave ovens over-the-range, and if so did you or someone else in your home install it?

Old 08-16-2023, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
That model seem to still be sold. Perhaps it's still under warranty.
That was our first thought, but unfortunately it's about 13 years old according to the manufacture date listed inside.

Old 08-16-2023, 11:17 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
What fuse? The MW should be on a circuit breaker with a dedicated line.

Old 08-16-2023, 11:35 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Older homes often do not have a dedicated circuit for a microwave.

Old 08-17-2023, 03:10 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
INTERNAL fuse. The cause is just as likely to be one of the interlock switches on the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House