Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 10:37 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,997,118 times

Advertisements

Someone local recently asked a similar question on a community board & was told to contact the police for a list of "crime scene" cleaners, even though it wasn't a crime scene, but someone fell & passed away.

Unsure if it were a guess, but I just wanted to mention it.

I also know there are machines called ionizers. I've never seen one, but perhaps one can be rented from a home improvement store? They're sometimes used in apartments to remove smoke or cooking smells that are strong & left behind when a tenant moves out. I know someone who was a property manager who said sometimes they'd leave one on for 24 hours.

If you can't find the info you need, let me know & I'll ask my apt mngr. I'm sure people have passed away in units & been found weeks later when rent was due.

Best of luck to your neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2023, 07:33 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
It’s going to take two different companies to ameliorate the mess. The crime scene guys have the means to remove the offending issues. Which could mean they are cutting out carpet, possibly removing floors down to subfloor, drywall, that’s what they do. Removal. And then you’re going to have to hire a contractor to replace all stuff the the crime scene people took out. The crime scene people don’t fix, they remove.

It’s interesting the things you find out when you’re friends with a person who writes murder mysteries, invite you to go to things where they have people to come in and talk about this stuff.

Old 08-26-2023, 09:04 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
^^^ SERVPRO now does both.

https://www.servpro.com/?utm_source=...iAAEgLz3_D_BwE

Old 08-26-2023, 11:42 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I know a fellow who worked for Servpro and did it. Yes, they do. The cost is significant but absolutely worth it. Training, bunny suits, chemicals, ozone, tear-outs, you don't want to know.

Old 08-26-2023, 06:39 PM

18,466 posts, read 31,624,300 times
The small of death of so very bad that the scent is in-describle, simply indescribelabe, but if you have never smelled it, if you do and dont know, youd know. (f that makes sense)

I had to verify my long lost uncle in his apartment a few summers ago, it was in August, 110 degrees, humid yadda, yadda, the stench was so bad from the elevator all the way to his floor (5).

the apartment smell was so bad, I remember the rookie police officer vomiting out the window, yes, it was that bad.

I'm sure the apartment has long since been fully gutted, etc...
but, another poster mentioned it seeping into floorboards etc, something that isn't easy to clean. I guess the floors would have to be ripped up, etc.

----
my father passed away in my childhood bedroom, natural causes, when we sold the house 2 years later as my mother then died as well (hospital) we did not disclose to anyone that he died in the bedroom. I'd think you wouldn't have to, unless it is a murder that was publicised, or something to that effect.

and another poster stated there are companies that remedy this type of situation, so that's a good thing. I wonder what you would call a company that does that? if there is a term for it?
I don't feel like googling now....

Old 08-26-2023, 07:13 PM

20,028 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Rancid body fluids seep into the woodwork, carpet, paint etc.
“Rancid Body Fluids”

Now that, is an awesome name for a band!

Old 08-26-2023, 07:22 PM

2,027 posts, read 3,347,151 times
I bought a really stinky house before. It was animal smells, but it was baddddd. (pets and mice)

We pulled up all the carpets, and my guy rented a floor sander and sanded all the sub-floors. Then covered them with several coats of some type of sealant before we put our flooring down over it.

And before we moved in, we hired a janitorial service that used some type of ozone cleaning. It was good by the time we moved in. Don't know if this helps.

Old 08-27-2023, 07:09 AM

17,294 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
“Rancid Body Fluids”

Now that, is an awesome name for a band!
Rancid is already a band (not very good in my opinion)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsAG3ygxFVM

Old 08-27-2023, 07:14 AM

17,294 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I bought a really stinky house before. It was animal smells, but it was baddddd. (pets and mice)

We pulled up all the carpets, and my guy rented a floor sander and sanded all the sub-floors. Then covered them with several coats of some type of sealant before we put our flooring down over it.

And before we moved in, we hired a janitorial service that used some type of ozone cleaning. It was good by the time we moved in. Don't know if this helps.
I bought one too........concrete floors/covered in carpet. Gutted it and every night after we were done working/ I'd bleach the floors with straight bleach. A month later it didn't stink anymore.

Also keep in mind, dead body or not an older persons apartment will likely stink anyway.

Old 08-27-2023, 09:57 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
At least in Texas, deaths from natural causes do not have to be disclosed.

There are companies that take care of this issue. It's not all that rare.
There was requirement on the RE disclosure contract we signed before selling our house 2 yrs ago that asking about ANY deaths in the house—
Our son had cancer and was living with us the year before we sold
If he had died at home we would have had to disclose it on the form

Some people are just superstitious about buying home where someone has died
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House