Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 10:00 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I bought one too........concrete floors/covered in carpet. Gutted it and every night after we were done working/ I'd bleach the floors with straight bleach. A month later it didn't stink anymore.

Also keep in mind, dead body or not an older persons apartment will likely stink anyway.
Charcoal in open bins all through the house
Seal the concrete floors
Repaint to seal the drywall

We had house in our neighborhood in TX where the owner died and cat was trapped in garage and died

Big factor in why no one wanted to buy it
Finally someone in neighborhood bought for his married son and got a very good deal
Took lot of work to make it habitable but they made it into lovely home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2023, 02:28 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
There was requirement on the RE disclosure contract we signed before selling our house 2 yrs ago that asking about ANY deaths in the house—
Our son had cancer and was living with us the year before we sold
If he had died at home we would have had to disclose it on the form

Some people are just superstitious about buying home where someone has died
My mom had cancer, and her dying wish was to die in peace at home. I am so glad that it was able to be done, and she died in her bedroom and in her house. One of the few good things I can say about it all.

In our discussion about selling my mom's home, my realtor has confirmed what Rabbit posted.

She also brought up the very real aversion that some may have to homes where people died in them, even if the death was natural.

Even if I am not required to, I have elected to disclose that someone has died in the home (naturally). i believe in full transparency and that a buyer has a right to make a decision. I'd rather lose a few buyers who may be superstitious than to do a wool over the eyes thing.

Many people will understand that dying at home is not uncommon and is often preferred (but many times it is not possible).

Old 08-27-2023, 07:31 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Rancid is already a band (not very good in my opinion)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsAG3ygxFVM
They sound quite good, actually. Thanks for sharing

Old 08-27-2023, 07:38 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Would "POOPH" work?

Old 08-27-2023, 07:39 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
I bought one too........concrete floors/covered in carpet. Gutted it and every night after we were done working/ I'd bleach the floors with straight bleach. A month later it didn't stink anymore.

Also keep in mind, dead body or not an older persons apartment will likely stink anyway.
Not necessarily true. All depends on the person's hygiene. I have seen young people who stink, even their breath smells terribly, and I have seen old people who dress nice and neat, and their breath smell nice and clean. If you are young and date enough times, you will find a a few young stinkers along the way

It is the same with pets and other animals, in that, "just because the cat is old" it doesn't mean that it smells bad. Stinkers come in all ages, shapes, and colors.

Old 08-27-2023, 09:54 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Not necessarily true. All depends on the person's hygiene. I have seen young people who stink, even their breath smells terribly, and I have seen old people who dress nice and neat, and their breath smell nice and clean. If you are young and date enough times, you will find a a few young stinkers along the way

It is the same with pets and other animals, in that, "just because the cat is old" it doesn't mean that it smells bad. Stinkers come in all ages, shapes, and colors.
Exactly. My 75 year old mom absolutely did not keep a rank smelling home and she didn't stink either. I loved her to pieces, but she was very vain and very attuned to the maintenance of her home. It would behoove many young people to take a page out of her "old lady" book when it comes to condition of the home and personal hygiene.

Old 08-27-2023, 10:38 PM

6,854 posts, read 4,853,645 times
Google says 31 percent of people die at home. I've lived in more than one home where someone has died. It's no big deal. Ghosts do not exist.

Old 08-30-2023, 07:33 PM

7,772 posts, read 6,379,741 times
The previous owner of my condo I later learned died at the age of 102. I have no idea where she died and never thought about it. I have been here 9 years now and no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House