Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 11:30 PM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,701 posts, read 2,532,679 times

Advertisements

I swear I've seen something like this in HD or Lowe's, but I can't think of which department or what to call it to even search for it.

I need something akin to a wide-mouth funnel (or some kind of upside-down e-collar looking contraption, for you dog owners) that I can place beneath my bird feeders and catch discarded sunflower seed hulls. Depending on the piece, I may be able to split in half and mount to the pole itself or, if it's something that could sit atop a shorter post in the ground, that would work too.

Maybe something in the A/C ducting department? I know it's not going to catch 100% of the hulls, because birds are messy as heck, but even a 50% reduction would be better than nothing. I'm trying to think outside the box to solve this problem. Sunflower hearts are too expensive; they're $65 for 35 lbs versus $20 for a similar size bag of regular black oil sunflower seeds.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 11:56 PM

17,626 posts, read 17,696,894 times
What about an engine oil or transmission fluid funnel used for fluid changes at a shop?
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-11302-F...A2DZ2V7B8TRIYM

Did a search for wide mouth funnels and this popped up

https://www.amazon.com/American-Wate...49429620&psc=1

Old 09-06-2023, 12:05 AM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
I swear I've seen something like this in HD or Lowe's, but I can't think of which department or what to call it to even search for it.

I need something akin to a wide-mouth funnel (or some kind of upside-down e-collar looking contraption, for you dog owners) that I can place beneath my bird feeders and catch discarded sunflower seed hulls. Depending on the piece, I may be able to split in half and mount to the pole itself or, if it's something that could sit atop a shorter post in the ground, that would work too.

Maybe something in the A/C ducting department? I know it's not going to catch 100% of the hulls, because birds are messy as heck, but even a 50% reduction would be better than nothing. I'm trying to think outside the box to solve this problem. Sunflower hearts are too expensive; they're $65 for 35 lbs versus $20 for a similar size bag of regular black oil sunflower seeds.

Ideas?
What diameter? If it's a tree one time I took two sheets of plywood and cut semi circles on the two pieces and attached that below the feeders. However that was to discourage cats from getting to the birds. It did catch a lot of seed and hulls and made for a perch for birds awaiting their turn.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:20 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,083,322 times
It's called a squirrel guard. You can probably find one where they sell the feeders.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:33 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,371,820 times
Like these ? tractor funnels

Old 09-06-2023, 07:08 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,963,646 times
Quote:
Sunflower hearts are too expensive; they're $65 for 35 lbs versus $20 for a similar size bag of regular black oil sunflower seeds.
We have switched to the No Waste versions, such as the one below.

https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Delight-.../dp/B003Z0DPPY

Yes, it does cost more, but you are also not buying a half a bag of sunflower shells. It is nice not to have to blow off the deck to clear all of the shells.

Old 09-06-2023, 07:36 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
If the ultimate goal here is to Save Money…

Remove the feeder, and stop buying feed!
This ain’t rocket science!!!

Old 09-06-2023, 07:39 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,209,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If the ultimate goal here is to Save Money…

Remove the feeder, and stop buying feed!
This ain’t rocket science!!!
LOL...but the birds are nice to watch.

OP - have you considered planting sunflowers in the spring? Buy the end of the season you have sunflower heads that you can just hang up and the birds will feed directly from them.

Old 09-06-2023, 09:20 AM

23,649 posts, read 12,561,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
LOL...but the birds are nice to watch.

OP - have you considered planting sunflowers in the spring? Buy the end of the season you have sunflower heads that you can just hang up and the birds will feed directly from them.
Yep. There're all kinds of plants that look good in the garden and produce seeds the birds like to eat. Imo, it's more enjoyable watching them flit around the garden gathering seeds than it is to watch them at a bird feeder.

"The Best Plants for Birds That Produce Lots of Seeds to Feed Them"
https://www.bhg.com/gardening/design...nts-for-birds/

Old 09-06-2023, 11:56 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:

Ideas?
Where is the feeder now and what is under it? (deck, mulch, grass, pavement)

Take a picture of what you have so we can see what you're up against, I truly think my best idea would be trying to find a solution OTHER than trying to collect and handle all the husks.

Can it be moved somewhere that is either easier to sweep or vacuum under, OR - even better - the seed husks can stay and not bother you? What if you planted a big shrub under the feeder, or moved the feeder so it is over a big shrub that the husks would fall down into and disappear as mulch? What if the feeder were in a grassy area where normal mowing would pick up and disperse the husks in the grass? What if it were over a paved area where you could vacuum, sweep or hose the husks into a flower bed or mulch area?

Can you perhaps switch to another kind of feeder that doesn't cause the husks to drop? We use a flat platform feeder, and most of the husks stay in it. When we go to refill it, which we do daily, there are a LOT of empty husks in there (which we dump on the ground, and our chickens disperse them so they're not a problem). That may not work for you, but there has to be some solution that would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House