Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2023, 02:28 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,319,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I wouldn't want the kitchen to be visible from any other room in the house. I see kitchens as ugly & noisy work & storage areas, filled w/ machinery & wood boxes.

I dunno. I think my new kitchen is pretty nice. It's certainly not noisy, filled with machines, or wood boxes. And even in this 1932 house, it's visible from the entry. It used to be dark and kind of ugly, true. But now it's a place where people gather while entertaining inside and out. And I actually like sitting in it for breakfast and lunch. It feels a lot more cheerful.

Quote:
No cars...I hate attached garages. I'd want a detached garage around back out of sight, w/ a covered walkway to the main home.

I can see that on an old Victorian type house, but as a car guy I want my cars easily accessible. I have no problem with a well integrated garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2023, 07:20 PM

1,100 posts, read 431,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
I can see that on an old Victorian type house, but as a car guy I want my cars easily accessible. I have no problem with a well integrated garage.
Same. It's freezing to get to a detached garage (or raining).

Old 10-19-2023, 11:29 AM

17,362 posts, read 16,505,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
I dunno. I think my new kitchen is pretty nice. It's certainly not noisy, filled with machines, or wood boxes. And even in this 1932 house, it's visible from the entry. It used to be dark and kind of ugly, true. But now it's a place where people gather while entertaining inside and out. And I actually like sitting in it for breakfast and lunch. It feels a lot more cheerful.

Your new kitchen is gorgeous. What a transformation! Hard to believe that's the same room!

Old 10-19-2023, 07:37 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Your new kitchen is gorgeous. What a transformation! Hard to believe that's the same room!
That is what a cat in a window will do! What a difference!

Old 10-20-2023, 09:16 AM

9,852 posts, read 7,722,163 times
No grey or beige walls. No stainless steel appliances. No fancy, formal furniture.

We like our home to be comfy and fun.

Old 10-21-2023, 09:31 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
"What would I never want?"

Easy.

S
M
O
K
E!

Old 10-21-2023, 09:12 PM

426 posts, read 958,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Oh I missed one; I never want a giant TV over the fireplace. Or anywhere, to be honest. Can't get on board with the TV-as-altar thing. Anytime I see a house with those giant screens I just keep remembering Fahrenheit 451.
The in-wall incinerator would be cool, though.

Old 10-27-2023, 08:56 AM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvibrant View Post
dangerous creatures, turmoil, drugs, huge variety of alcohol, guns, tobacco and cannabis products and the products which resemble them
More for me!

Old 10-27-2023, 10:43 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
A dining room. I do not entertain and if I did a simple kitchen bar would suffice. A dining room is just wasted space.

An uncovered wood deck. I don't like to sit in the sun and decks are expensive to replace when they rot away. I would rather have a covered porch and maybe a cement patio for BBQ.

A bar. I am not an alcoholic and as mentioned above I do not entertain.

A living room AND family room. One room would suffice.

Large bedroom. I generally just sleep in my bedroom so why would I need a huge space? If I am going to participate in an orgy I guess everyone would just have to squeeze in. (just kidding)

Asphalt shingles. I prefer a metal roof. They last longer and nothing beats the sound of rain on a metal roof.

A second floor. As I get older I do not want to deal with stairs. I have no problem with climbing stairs BUT they are an unnecessary hazard.

Old 10-27-2023, 02:31 PM

1,100 posts, read 431,310 times
Michael Imperioli (Christopher on Sopranos) had a home tour and bragged that his wfe was a designer. I'm sure everything in there cost a fortune but it's hideous, the whole place. IMO. Anyone else want to chime in??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmHAvgEBnsk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House