Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 06:31 AM

6,832 posts, read 4,287,044 times

Advertisements

9/11 showed that firefighters will take a long time to go up 30 floors even. If you're on the 80th and there's a big fire, you're going to be trapped and trapped for a long time. I mean obviously if a commercial airliner flew right into it, those 'pencil' buildings would have everything above impact come apart pretty instantly given that plane would be like a scythe going right through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2023, 06:36 AM

2,098 posts, read 1,027,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I'm sure some buildings have gennies like that. Must use a lot of fuel powering 100 stories of apartments. Maybe they throttle usage for each unit during events like that.
Nonsense.

Old 12-21-2023, 09:57 AM

23,265 posts, read 29,113,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
9/11 showed that firefighters will take a long time to go up 30 floors even. If you're on the 80th and there's a big fire, you're going to be trapped and trapped for a long time. I mean obviously if a commercial airliner flew right into it, those 'pencil' buildings would have everything above impact come apart pretty instantly given that plane would be like a scythe going right through it.
I can't imagine being a window washer in one of those buildings and I'm sure the windows are washed regularly, particularly the building in post 33.

Old 12-21-2023, 10:47 AM

18,484 posts, read 31,691,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
"Nothing to do"?

Ha!

Ask someone who lives in the country if there's "nothing to do". Yeah, if "something to do" can only consist of consuming expensive entertainment created by other people.

And you know, there are people who live in the country who participate in this strange ritual called "cooking your own dinner". No restaurants needed.

I can't see how miles of buildings and people all crammed up together offers "more to look at" than fields and forests.

I agree with you.

Half of all the things in NYC there are to do I don't even do anymore.
Brooklyn has what I need, and since I'm old now, I don't do the club scene anymore, and country life does sound better to me.

Old 12-21-2023, 10:49 AM

18,484 posts, read 31,691,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Thats called city life. And it's a lot better than country life where there is nothing to look at and nothing to do and no good jobs. By the time you drive to your closest chain restaurant in the country you could walk to 100 in NYC.

there is plenty to look at in the country

Old 12-21-2023, 01:46 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,959,915 times
Quote:
"Nothing to do"?

Ha!

Ask someone who lives in the country if there's "nothing to do". Yeah, if "something to do" can only consist of consuming expensive entertainment created by other people.

And you know, there are people who live in the country who participate in this strange ritual called "cooking your own dinner". No restaurants needed.

I can't see how miles of buildings and people all crammed up together offers "more to look at" than fields and forests.
I grew up in the outskirts of the city and the country is fun until you're in your teens. Then it gets old and almost everyone and anyone does anything they can to move away to a city after high school and never return. The only ones who stayed really had their lives go downhill. Its really sad.

Also, you don't have to live in a super tall tower in NYC. There are suburbs and boroughs. Every major city in the country has suburbs where you can have a house with a backyard and easily drive to nearby places for food and entertainment.

And there are parks, trees, fields, etc all within driving distance from most major cities, and most suburbs have all these things. My backyard has a wooded area and there are paved running trails through wooded areas and nature preserves in my suburb. If I want to go for a run or walk outside I don't want to be forced to do this on a road with cars. And again, there are no career opportunities if you want to actually make something of yourself in the country.

Last edited by Berteau; 12-21-2023 at 02:23 PM..

Old 12-21-2023, 04:11 PM

10,053 posts, read 18,115,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
If I had to live 40 to 100+ stories above the street, I'd have a parachute and a few bricks to break the window with.

I remember seeing the bodies hit the pavement during 9/11 and "bouncing" 6 feet high. Talk about a splash of blood and "stuff..."

I have pics (and 1 slo-mo video of a dude hitting the sidewalk at terminal velocity.)

It would be a quick way to banned camp if I posted them.
Norty, your posts often make me scratch my head wondering what you were thinking when you posted, but this is one of the worst. What a horrendous post. Why do we need to hear about you seeing bodies hitting pavements and "bouncing"? What a really, really horrendously insensitive post -- THOSE WERE FREAKIN' HUMAN BEINGS WHO DIED BECAUSE OF A TERRORIST ATTACK, not because of ANYTHING they had done to deserve this horrible fate -- their deaths were not for your amusement.

And why on EARTH would you keep videos of what I think was the worst day in U.S. history? (Actually, I take that back ... I was in Ann Arbor, Michigan on 9/11 and recorded news shows for several days -- but the difference is, I have TRIED to look at them on anniversaries of 9/11 but I simply cannot, it was too horrendous and the videos are so freakin' painful. But you make them sound like these innocent humans' death were your entertainment. So I hope I have misunderstood something because otherwise, what you have posted is just so, so revolting.)

=====

Anyway ...

I can't even watch movies that feature people walking around the roofs of tall buildings (as in Manhattan) ... I get woozy! I live in a 2-story house on 1.29 acres in the boonies of New Hampshire and I love it here.

I think it would be fun to live in Manhattan for a year, just to do lots of "stuff" I can't DO in the boonies of New Hampshire, like see Broadway shows etc ... but I would have to have lots and lots of money, and frankly I'd rather spend my money on other things.

Old 12-21-2023, 10:47 PM

6,832 posts, read 4,287,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I can't imagine being a window washer in one of those buildings and I'm sure the windows are washed regularly, particularly the building in post 33.

I don't think it's that significant for them. If you fall a 100 floors you're dead, if you fall 10 floors you're dead. They gotta trust their equipment no matter what building it is.

My personal rule is simply that I refuse to live above the level where a fire department tower ladder can reach.

Old 12-21-2023, 10:56 PM

11,656 posts, read 12,740,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
^^It's been reduced to a "fiasco" at this point? What a disgraceful comment.
What the heck are you talking about? I lost people in those towers. I was also a witness. I'll call that day what I want to call it. I'm still in mourning. This thread is not about 9/11. It's not about living in NYC and it's definitely not about living in a skyscraper. It's a legitimate question about interest about posters' desirability to live in the relatively new "skinny" buildings in Manhattan. Most of the problems that posters in this thread brought up would be the same in other tall buildings and could be found in Boston, Atlanta, Houston or any city that has skyscrapers. This thread is about the new architectural style for residential use that has become popular in Manhattan. This architectural style can be found in other cities throughout the world.

Old 12-22-2023, 04:40 AM

2,098 posts, read 1,027,795 times
Quote:

Just as closed minded as the person you're responding to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House