Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2023, 07:43 AM

6,578 posts, read 7,182,356 times

Advertisements

What happens when a new pencil building is built two blocks from a current pencil and now Central Park can’t be seen! I remember watching million dollar listing NYC and watching places go from a great view to zero view overnight. I can’t imagine how much value and demand dropped like a brick to pretty much zero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2023, 08:28 AM

30,486 posts, read 21,369,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
What happens when a new pencil building is built two blocks from a current pencil and now Central Park can’t be seen! I remember watching million dollar listing NYC and watching places go from a great view to zero view overnight. I can’t imagine how much value and demand dropped like a brick to pretty much zero.
They need a big cane with winds over 140mph over 600ft high and see how they do.

Old 12-23-2023, 11:00 AM

30,693 posts, read 18,319,995 times
I'm afraid of extreme heights, so even if I did it would have to be below the 20th floor or so (preferably below the 15th). That said, I don't like how those buildings look aesthetically, so would probably pass for that reason

Old 12-23-2023, 11:29 AM

32,683 posts, read 48,207,062 times
If I had to live in one of those skinny buildings, or any other skyscraper, skinny or fat, I'd want the top floor, no matter how high. When living in an apartment building, it is always best to never have anyone living over your head.

Until those things start tumbling to the ground in high winds, which hasn't happened yet, I wouldn't worry about them falling down. What something looks like doesn't raise to the same level of proof as engineering.

Old 12-23-2023, 12:39 PM

30,693 posts, read 18,319,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If I had to live in one of those skinny buildings, or any other skyscraper, skinny or fat, I'd want the top floor, no matter how high. When living in an apartment building, it is always best to never have anyone living over your head.

Until those things start tumbling to the ground in high winds, which hasn't happened yet, I wouldn't worry about them falling down. What something looks like doesn't raise to the same level of proof as engineering.
If your concern is noise, I've found that this especially isn't a problem with the super luxurious buildings. One of our friends owns a $3.5 million 2/2 in such a building in Manhattan. The noise insulation protection is so good that you can't even hear the outside, and it's close to a highway and the bustle of the city. I was more than impressed.

Old 12-23-2023, 04:27 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,959,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
They have to pay the buildings owners something call “sky rights.” So they actually compensate other buildings for blocked views.

Old 12-23-2023, 05:26 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,332,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
If your concern is noise, I've found that this especially isn't a problem with the super luxurious buildings. One of our friends owns a $3.5 million 2/2 in such a building in Manhattan. The noise insulation protection is so good that you can't even hear the outside, and it's close to a highway and the bustle of the city. I was more than impressed.
I always wondered how loud or quiet it is for these expensive condos/apartments. I wish a lot of regular apartments had better noise insulation. I guess it costs a lot to build it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
They have to pay the buildings owners something call “sky rights.” So they actually compensate other buildings for blocked views.
I never heard of this. I wonder what happens if the peoples' who's views were blocked disagree and want their views instead of money before the new building is built.

Old 12-23-2023, 08:52 PM

16,579 posts, read 10,686,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I never heard of this. I wonder what happens if the peoples' who's views were blocked disagree and want their views instead of money before the new building is built.
In signing a ton of papers to put down a deposit on a new-build house, I noticed that one of the things they said was that whatever view the property might possess was not guaranteed and formed no part of the transaction. The property in question has a nice view of a lake (that's a big reason why we picked the lot that we did), and the master plan for the development shows nothing being built that would block that view. But even so, it's not guaranteed. I wonder if people who buy units in high-rise buildings have a similar thing in their contracts?

Old 12-23-2023, 10:33 PM

6,578 posts, read 7,182,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
In signing a ton of papers to put down a deposit on a new-build house, I noticed that one of the things they said was that whatever view the property might possess was not guaranteed and formed no part of the transaction. The property in question has a nice view of a lake (that's a big reason why we picked the lot that we did), and the master plan for the development shows nothing being built that would block that view. But even so, it's not guaranteed. I wonder if people who buy units in high-rise buildings have a similar thing in their contracts?
I just saw on the show where a nice condo had a nice view on 15th floor, but now a building 100 ft away was being constructed blocking entire view. Ummm…their apartment now lost all its visual benefits, will never return. How do you ever sell it going forward? Here, wonderful views of neighbors…..awesome, I love and want that!!! Said nobody

Old 12-24-2023, 02:20 AM

23,265 posts, read 29,113,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I read the book 740 Park Avenue some time ago, where you need $100 million in assets just to be considered a resident in that building. The building was built in the 30's and it has thick 15 inch walls and triple paned windows. In the lower floors of the building you buy an extra co-op or 2 for your maids, chauffeur, or cook.

In the high rise I lived in in Minneapolis, on the 38th floor, it was built around 1970, and back then, unlike today, there was poured concrete walls between the units, quiet as a morgue. I have yet to see a high rise condo under construction, anywhere, with pour concrete walls between the units. But they must be using some other material today to deflect
noise from neighbors.

Way back when there were mansions on 5th Avenue and developers were eager to buy them and built multi-story apt. buildings, the owners were most fearful of noise if they were to relocate into one of these buildings, so the developers built them so there'd be little or complaints over noise. Mary Astor had a 54 room mansion, to get her to sell, they promised to duplicate her 54 room mansion on the top of one of the buildings, a gigantic pied a terre.

What's helped quieting down NYC was Bloomberg's campaign to make NYC the quietest big city in the country, with police sirens banned (Fire trucks and ambulances exempted), no more car alarms, $350 fines for honking your horn in a residential area (I saw those signs when I was in quiet NYC in 2007) no loud stereo's blaring from cars and city workers armed with decimeters going around to make sure your A/C unit wasn't emitting too many decibels of sound.

Last edited by tijlover; 12-24-2023 at 02:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House