Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which option is best?
Portable 2 28.57%
Window 5 71.43%
other, please specify 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 06:34 PM

18 posts, read 337,478 times

Advertisements

I have around roughly a 400 sq foot (floor measurement) apt w/13' cielings w/bedroom and living room having 10' windows - 2 in bed, 4 in living area apt. Which would be better for this space, mainly looking for living area and bedroom, i could deal w/in the bathroom as it's right off the bedroom and i could block off the kitchenette. Only time i'm in there anyways is to cook or clean. So which would be the better option? I also have 2 cieling fans one in each said room and w/them on high and the windows completely shaded it's still 85 degrees inside. Also i"m on the 1st floor of a quad-plex (?? not sure if correct term) w/the sun pouring in (why i fell in love w/the place). and some tips on keeping it saving energy while keeping it cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 09:56 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,157,730 times
If you are renting, best check with your landlord. Yo need to make sure your electirc panel can handle the load, especially if it is an old building, still on fuses not breakers.
Also depends on whether your windows would support a window unit or not. ALso with a portable unit you will need to be able to have a place to vent it, kind of like a dryer vent set up.
You could also consider a thru the wall unit, like hotels have. but you woud have to cut a hole.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:32 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,093,784 times
I just bought a Haier portable to try, haven't used it yet.

I used to cool a whole high-ceilinged house of about 900 sf with 3 rather expensive but well built, Energy Star window units that only came on when the temp rose too much (instead of cycling every 3 minutes whether or not the temp was exceeded). Put 'em on the shady side of your apartment if possible. My electric bill was $20-$40 higher each month over the summer months keeping the temps down to 68-70 degrees max. Yeah, I like it cool

The question is, will your windows take window units, and as the other poster says, is this allowed by your landlord?

I'd keep the windows shaded.

Consumer Research site claims that window units are generally superior to portables (can really freeze a room rather than just make it less hot, or "comfortable"). Also good portables are more expensive compared to good window units, with Energy Star rated portables being mega expensive.

I paid about $400 per unit for my high-quality A/C window units; honestly can't remember if they were 8,000 or 12,000 BTU each. Walmart has the Haier units much cheaper than this, but I don't know anything about them.

Just paid $249 for a Haier 7,000 BTU portable which seems to get good reviews. Time will tell.
It's not Energy Star rated though, but I only need it temporarily so it wasn't worth buying a better one.

I'd advise you to buy an Energy Star rated unit no matter what you buy. Over time it'll save a lot on electric bills.

Last edited by Boomerang; 06-06-2008 at 10:41 PM..

Old 06-07-2008, 03:42 AM

18 posts, read 337,478 times
My landlord said either or would do, but if portables need some way to vent then window would be my best option then... so next question is, would it be better to get 1 unit or 2 unit? I tend to like it cool in the summer mo to get away from the heat... i work nights so night time will be at a higher temp to where it don't kick in all the time or might turn 'em off and just run the cieling fans while i'm at work... then during the time i'm home i'd be freezing my rear off as thats how i like it in the summer time for the most part ... so 1 or 2 units is my question... I have 2 windows in the living room on the shady side and my bedroom is on the sunny side. I was planning on putting it my living room sunny side window if i did 1. If it's better to do 2, one would go to the window closest to my bedroom and the other on the shady side of the living room to create a cross breeze of sorts in the process... i'd get full apt this way too...
another concern of mine, is there any real good way to secure them to make sure burglars couldn't take 'em out to get in? as i'm on the 1st floor and the neighborhood is somewhat shady? the ones my grandma had were all on the 2nd floor so no need to worry, just duct tape. Yes the electrical is upgraded in for the age of the building (about a yr old?)

Old 06-07-2008, 10:09 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,077,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephkg84 View Post
My landlord said either or would do, but if portables need some way to vent then window would be my best option then... so next question is, would it be better to get 1 unit or 2 unit? I tend to like it cool in the summer mo to get away from the heat... i work nights so night time will be at a higher temp to where it don't kick in all the time or might turn 'em off and just run the cieling fans while i'm at work... then during the time i'm home i'd be freezing my rear off as thats how i like it in the summer time for the most part ... so 1 or 2 units is my question... I have 2 windows in the living room on the shady side and my bedroom is on the sunny side. I was planning on putting it my living room sunny side window if i did 1. If it's better to do 2, one would go to the window closest to my bedroom and the other on the shady side of the living room to create a cross breeze of sorts in the process... i'd get full apt this way too...
another concern of mine, is there any real good way to secure them to make sure burglars couldn't take 'em out to get in? as i'm on the 1st floor and the neighborhood is somewhat shady? the ones my grandma had were all on the 2nd floor so no need to worry, just duct tape. Yes the electrical is upgraded in for the age of the building (about a yr old?)
The new portables vent thru/ the windows, and use "sliders" on each side. You would need to do something like braces to keep the window from being opened if the windows can be accessed easily from the outside. You may have to get innovative to find some type of metal brace that will work, and figure out how to screw it into the window sill and window itself. You need to go look at the portables and get info about venting them and visually check that out in relation to your window if you go w/ the portable OR the window unit. There are special braces that can be found for the OUTSIDE part of the unit that sticks to the exterior, as well. After all, people can steal your A/C unit PLUS break in your house, LOL. So go to a hardware store or to a big box store - ask questions and see what people suggest. Also, google it and see what info you can find online about "securing window a/c unit." You are not the first person to have to deal w/ this so I bet there is info out there . . .

Old 06-07-2008, 05:26 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,093,784 times
Followup on the new 7000 BTU Haier portable w/remote control:
so far, it is working like a dream cooling off and dehumidifying my entire 4-room apartment. BUT.......it's not screaming hot yet, just very muggy.

Imagine this apartment as a square, the A/C unit is vented out a window which is roughly in the middle of one side.

I'm not on a lower level so theft prevention is not an issue.
The window kit doesn't fit my windows. The two panels together (they telescope to fit various size window openings) can't be made small enough to fit inside my windows while leaving the exhaust hole exposed. Really weird, because my windows are a standard size. I cut some cardboard to fit temporarily. Not handy, but I really don't want to cut the hard plastic panel to fit the windows in this house because I'll be moving soon anyway. I'll put some better insulating material around the cardboard to help keep the heat out.

The unit is very quiet. Way quieter than my window units, and double way quieter than fans. Another plus: it can be used strictly as a dehumidifier as well. So - 2 appliances for the price of 1.

Although I will have to fiddle with the window kit if I want to move the unit to my bedroom at night when it gets extremely hot & humid later in the summer, it'll be a breeze compared to trying to move a window unit.

So I'm pretty well sold at this point. Portables are cool in more ways than one!

Old 04-30-2010, 10:15 AM

5 posts, read 14,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephkg84 View Post
I have around roughly a 400 sq foot (floor measurement) apt w/13' cielings w/bedroom and living room having 10' windows - 2 in bed, 4 in living area apt. Which would be better for this space, mainly looking for living area and bedroom, i could deal w/in the bathroom as it's right off the bedroom and i could block off the kitchenette. Only time i'm in there anyways is to cook or clean. So which would be the better option? I also have 2 cieling fans one in each said room and w/them on high and the windows completely shaded it's still 85 degrees inside. Also i"m on the 1st floor of a quad-plex (?? not sure if correct term) w/the sun pouring in (why i fell in love w/the place). and some tips on keeping it saving energy while keeping it cool.
I am wonder if this unit can also be use as dehumidifier!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House