Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 03:00 PM

193 posts, read 1,027,837 times

Advertisements

We have found we can save over 1000 dollars installing our own granite. My husband is very handy but has never done this before. He wants to try and I am worried it is more than he can handle. My husband has done everything in the kitchen from putting in new cabinets, new flooring and taking down and building new walls and he is very good. The granite makes me nervous though. Anyone have any words of wisdom on how to do this or should we just pay someone to do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 04:12 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
It's very very heavy and it requires two or more to handle it because of the weight. If the area is very small, it's possible that if it's small, that two men could manage just fine.

It's also very easily broken. One crack and you need a new piece.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:48 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Depends on what type of granite. Granite tile can be installed fairly easily without much help but a slab of granite is VERY difficult to install unless you know exactly what you're doing. Granite is very heavy and needs at least 2-3 people to lift and move, it also chips and breaks easily. I'd recommend getting professionals for this unless you're willing to learn your lesson the hard way...

Old 08-09-2007, 04:59 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Depends on what type of granite. Granite tile can be installed fairly easily without much help but a slab of granite is VERY difficult to install unless you know exactly what you're doing. Granite is very heavy and needs at least 2-3 people to lift and move, it also chips and breaks easily. I'd recommend getting professionals for this unless you're willing to learn your lesson the hard way...
Exactly right.

I have even seen professionals crack a slab countertop during installation. An expensive mistake as they had to pay a premium to find a matching slab before reworking and reinstalling.

Different granite slabs have different density and weight... a thick piece of solid black granite is very heavy with a moderate sized countertop sometimes requiring four people to maneuver.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:45 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Been there done that - replaced the countertop, repaired the floor.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:08 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,008,012 times
I tried to install the ready made laminate countertop in my kitchen back in 2003. I ended up with a nice sized hole in the sheetrock and the walls were not exactly plumb which left gaps. So then I tried to trim a little off here and there to make it work. To make a long story shorter, I threw away the ruined laminate countertop and resorted to travertine tile. I was so much happier with the tile. I can't imagine what would have happened if we tried to do that with a granite slab. (Lol Threestep)

Old 08-10-2007, 11:42 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
I tried to install the ready made laminate countertop in my kitchen back in 2003. I ended up with a nice sized hole in the sheetrock and the walls were not exactly plumb which left gaps. So then I tried to trim a little off here and there to make it work. To make a long story shorter, I threw away the ruined laminate countertop and resorted to travertine tile. I was so much happier with the tile. I can't imagine what would have happened if we tried to do that with a granite slab. (Lol Threestep)
The main problem was finding a match for the rest of the kitchen and a reputable company willing to deal with a single counter top. Six weeks later and a shade lighter we were in business. The bar section is raised so the difference is not that obvious. But I see it every day!

Great for baking, otherwise never again. Well, I had to have it:>(

Old 08-10-2007, 11:53 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
If you don't have to worry about cutouts and just installing the slab itself -- have your husband get some help carrying the slab - installation is not difficult as long as it is one piece. If it requries a seam also not a biggie as long as it is level.

Enjoy!

Old 08-12-2007, 03:56 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,087 times
Before I retired, I owned a business that constructed custom outdoor kitchens. We did counter tops in many materials -- ceramic tile, granite tile, stone, brick, etc. There were three materials we would not touch -- solid surface (such as Corian) which requires special training, poured concrete, which requires specialized knowledge of concrete mixtures, etc., and granite or other 1-piece stone tops (we used granite, slate, soapstone, marble, jerusalem stone and others). We called in the experts that specialized in those stones. We couldn't cut the shapes, cut the cut-outs or apply the edges -- the tools are too expensive for low-volume use. Since we couldn't prepare the material, it was more cost-effective to have the stone folks do the installation, as well. It is far too difficult for even the talented amateur, in my opinion.

Here's one of the granite topped cabinets we built--
Attached Thumbnails
How hard is it to install your own granite countertops?-baese012.jpg  

Old 08-15-2007, 11:35 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
I re-did my whole kitchen 2 years ago - walls, ceiling, cabinets, counter, appliances and even all the electrical because I wanted to change fridge and stove locations.

I have 2 L-shaped counters on opposite sides and I have granite on two levels - counter height with a 30" inch stool height eating zone.

Each L shaped side and the upper areas are single slab granite pieces. THREE big, bulky, muscular men brought them and installed and they were out of breath between the front door and the kitchen (not far).

Best part - after they laid the biggest L side, they had to take it off and back to the shop and cut a whole new piece with a new sink opening and do it all over again. WHY? when they measured the space, they didn't realize the wall wasn't totally even and after the bottom cabinets were down, the granite fell short about 1 inch from the backsplash and the end of the counter.

You should really get a company to do this part for you so that if anything comes out wrong they just have to do it right and you don't spend extra for your own mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House