Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:48 PM

625 posts, read 4,571,432 times

Advertisements

It has the white, fluffy blow in insulation...it's 14 years old if that matters...just wasn't sure how insulating that is versus other types and if it's worth changing it out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 09:41 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
I doubt if you would need to replace it. The bigger question is how much do you have.

My guess is that it is loose fiberglas. If it is gray and not itchy and looks like ground up newspapers, it is cellulose. Vermiculite was used years ago sometimes, but that is not common, and not used just 14 years ago.

Either way it should be fine. Measure how thick it is. you do not say where you are, but with todays heating and cooling costs, I'd want about an R-50....but I suppose it depends where you are.

You can blow either cellulose or fiberglas on top of what you have. I prefer cellulose...it has a higher R value per inch then fiberglas, and a class A fire rating.

Frank D.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:40 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,388 times
We had added to our insulation last year (reblown). Cost was only about $400.00. It made a huge difference in our monthly bill. Insulation does settle, especially as long as it has been in your home (which mine was just as old).

Old 06-11-2008, 09:48 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Fluffy white is likely fiberglass. As Frank said, what matters is how deep it is. The depth you need is really based on what part of the country you are in. You want a minimum of about 12" and this is where "more is better".

As a slight thread drift, you want to make sure that the bathroom exhaust vents are not buried in the insulation and they are actually vented out.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:32 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
By your other posts I'll assume that you are in Nashville. Your zone requires a rating of R-38, which is approximately 16" in depth. That is the minimum requirement. You could go with a higher rating, but use alot of caution- you can over do it; and that can cause sweating of walls and ceiling.
I'd stick with f/glass- no need to mix materials. And I don't recommend cellulose; especially on top of f/glass. It will compress the f/glass even more (giving you a less than optimal "R" rating). Also, cellulose has been tested countless times on it's fire rating- the results are not good. It's estimated that it can loose as much as 28% of it's fire retardency in the first two-year period. Some samples have failed a fire safety test only 6 months after installation.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:37 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
Barkingspider,
good point!
also, make sure your soffit vents, (if you have them, (you should)), do not get covered.
you can have soffitt vent protectors installed. There is probably a better name, but my mind is not working right now, and I got to get back to some house projects of my own......
What I am talking about are plastic or foam pieces, about 14" wide by a few feet that get stapled between your rafters onto the sheathing to hold back any insulation from covering your soffitt vents .........

Adding insulation is a great way to cut utility bills, especially in your attic.

Frank D.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:39 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
I doubt if you would need to replace it. The bigger question is how much do you have.

My guess is that it is loose fiberglas. If it is gray and not itchy and looks like ground up newspapers, it is cellulose. Vermiculite was used years ago sometimes, but that is not common, and not used just 14 years ago.

Either way it should be fine. Measure how thick it is. you do not say where you are, but with todays heating and cooling costs, I'd want about an R-50....but I suppose it depends where you are.

You can blow either cellulose or fiberglas on top of what you have. I prefer cellulose...it has a higher R value per inch then fiberglas, and a class A fire rating.

Frank D.
If you are going to be working in your attic frequently or otherwise spending a fair amount of time breathing up there, cellulose probably has some upside. Otherwise, I would recommend against. Cellulose absorbs water and actually has a nutritional value so it makes an excellent growth medium for mold and bacteria, among other things. Fiberglass does not absorb water, does not burn (unless your whole house is burning down) and does not rot. Keep in mind that any treatments that the cellulose has received are fleeting. You can't just spray newspaper with a chemical and make it non-combustible and indigestible forever.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Insulation - more is better so long as it does not block the attic vents.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:32 PM

625 posts, read 4,571,432 times
ok, thanks everyone!

Old 06-12-2008, 06:40 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
great info. i was just wondering about this stuff too! we have been in our house 20 years and added more insulation after we were here a few years. but since it has been awhile, i think i will send husband to attack with a ruler!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House