Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:50 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times

Advertisements

The Guardian with propane as a fuel supply is a good setup.

Last winter when the big storms hit Western Washington, power was out for almost two weeks. It was a problem getting gasoline or diesel to run the generators because the gas stations had no power to pump it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 03:04 PM

23 posts, read 229,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
I'm a professional firefighter.
When things get bad up here outside of Buffalo, I'm called in, and my house and family must fend for themselves.

I installed an Guardian whole house automatic generator. It runs on a 500 gallon propane tank. When the power goes off, it turns on by itself, even if no one is home. It has an automatic transfer switch. It is safe.

No dangerous stockpiles of gas. No wife trying to get it hooked up and running. No chance of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Frank D.
Hi Frank,
I was thinking of installing a whole house gen. may I ask how much it cost to buy and install, also, how long will a 500 gal. tank last? I know it depends on the load you use but lets say to run the fridge, hot H2O heater, lights and maybe a window ac unit. I live in Stuart Fl and we were hit with 3 hurricains directly and I was miserable in the Fl heat, we were without power 4-5 weeks, I thought I would die!!!! Only positive thing was we could flush the toilets because the city water stayed on. Any info would help, I asked questions at Home Depot and nobody can give a str8 answer about anything. Thanks, Bill

Old 06-19-2008, 09:05 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
dear Bill,
Sorry I took this long to reply......just noticed it.
If I remember correctly, it cost me about $3,000 for the unit......they may have gone up some since.

you can buy a guardian unit online at some good prices. it depends on how big a unit you want.....10khw or 13 kwh , 15kwh, etc,etc. I'd have to go to their website to see the latest models.

I can tell you that it was easy to install myself. The instructions were very good, and if you are comfortable working with electrical, gas lines, etc, it was simple.

As to how long a 500 gallon tank would last, I'm not sure, but if I remember correctly, it was well over a week......depends on what other things are using the propane at the same time. If my boiler was also heating the house, it would not last as long. I do not believe the generator engine uses that much propane. Your propane company should be able to tell you that info. If not, Guardian or a authorized installer may know.

We lost power for about 5 hours Tuesday night.....it is kinda cool to be the only house in the neighborhood with lights on.

Frank D.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Just for grins Google Lister CS Diesel. These are very old tech hand started diesel engines that are as reliable as it is possible for a machine to be. If I lived in a place where long (24 hr+) electrical outages were likely (hurricanes, floods, major earthquakes, very severe storms etc) I would have one of these in an instant. If I ever build or buy a place off the grid I would heat and power the house with a Lister type engine. BTW – these engines run better on straight veggie oil than on #2 diesel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House