Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:19 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times

Advertisements

I purchased an outdoor swing that was painted white. The person that I purchased it from told me that it could withstand rain and sun and would keep it's finish for many years. It has begun to chip and peel and the wood is rotting.

Now the guy that I purchased the swing from says that I should have purchased the stained (instead of painted) swing that is brazillian cherry because it can hold up under any outdoor conditions. Other people have told me that the only material that will last is teak.

Opinions? Facts? Suggestions?

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 05:04 AM

124 posts, read 666,089 times
Twelve years ago my husband built a swing for me out of cedar. We used a weather protecting agent on it, and it is still nearly as nice as the day he finished building it. We get horrible weather -- sub-zero temperatures in the winter and 95+ days with high humidity in summer and we don't even cover the swing.

A couple of years ago we thought it was looking a bit tired and we coated it with solid-color deck stain to match the deck and house. Stain doesn't chip off like paint, it wears away. The swing still looks great.

How much did you pay for it? What type of wood is it made of?

Old 06-20-2008, 08:26 AM

We paid about $350 for it. The guy at the flea market (scam artist) told us it was brazillian cherry but then he told us it "could" have been maple, instead. He took back the first one and gave us a new one, saying it "could" have been a mistake at the factory (being marked cherry instead of maple). However, he won't take back the 2nd one. I have considered just taking the swing back to him at the flea market and just sitting with it until he exchanges it. I'm sure THAT would be good for his business!!!

Vicki

Old 06-20-2008, 08:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
You expect a vendor at a flea market to warrentee anything? Good luck. Paint the swing you have with a good oil base primer and top coat. Be certain to get paint inside the bolt/rope holes.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
You expect a vendor at a flea market to warrentee anything? Good luck. Paint the swing you have with a good oil base primer and top coat. Be certain to get paint inside the bolt/rope holes.
He wasn't a vendor just selling ONE SWING. He is in the inside building and is there every weekend with many swings, rockers, tables, etc. The swing came with a warranty, in writing. However, the problem is that the swing is not made of the material he first said it was. Now he is saying the 2nd swing could have been "incorrectly labeled" as well.

Vicki

Old 06-20-2008, 09:26 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,809 times
Teak or Cedar is the way to go. We have always had teak benches/swings ourselves. (Remember teak is used in all boats on their platforms or on their decks). They weather grey (can be pressure washed to come back to original color) but also can be left alone. You can also use a teak oil to seal it, but it really attracts more dirt and such. (we have a ski boat and had a 42' troller years ago that was all teak,.. hated to clean it every year.. but you don't have to)

Old 06-20-2008, 09:34 AM

1,830 posts, read 5,348,750 times
If the swing isn't made of the wood he claimed, you are entitled to your money back. He's had 2 chances and obviously isn't trustworthy.
You can take the swing back and stand there ruining his business until he gives you your money, or you can sue him in small claims court, or you can live with an overpriced swing.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:42 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
Teak has been the standard for outdoor furniture for many years but it is expensive. It will never be sold painted.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:49 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,544,623 times
Teak is very expensive.

You can pretty well with one of the "cheap" $150 dollar swings from Lowe's/HD. As suggested - just stain or polyurethane it to protect the wood.

Even Teak needs to be oiled now and again to keep the wood from prematurely drying out and splitting.

Painting anything that is outside is a recipe for disaster. Usually will need to repaint every year, if you're lucky - every two years.

good luck!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:40 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,990 times
First off the guy was wrong when he said " brazillian cherry"...the con he was trying to put past you is what is known as brazillian walnut...it's real name is IPE. If it was really made of IPE it would have cost you even more, however IPE holds up even better than teak...but it is big bucks and very diffucult to work with. For example...it's so hard you can't drive a standard nail into it !

All and it in my opinion, {excluding the yuppie factor) it dosen't really matter bacause at about the time the swing set is starting to fall apart your kids will be of the age that they don'r use it anymore and you'll be wanting to get rid of it anyway. That's one of the advantages of the junk woods & metal sets...they rust, fall apart,are easy to take apart/cut up and junk. IMO.

BTW....Additionally you should have known that be it either IPE,Teak,Cedar,Redwood, or Cypress it would Never have been painted.... and as a "Real Estate Agent" you should be able to identify common construction material types as well as landscape plantings etc...
Most agents can't which makes me question how much their advice is actually worth. Just take that as intended...friendly advice.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House