Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 07:46 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,093,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Actually it was a repair cost. The only things they directly replaced were perishable items. For everything else, they just paid for a cleaning and gave me the original item back. I don't know if it was just because this was a renter's policy, or if this is standard procedure if the property isn't actually destroyed.
No, it doesn't have anything to do with being a renter's policy. The company has the option to repair or replace the item. If clothing can be cleaned and the stains and smell removed, they will do that. There are many restoration companies out there that do wonderful work and you would never know it was in a fire. It is still called 'replacement cost' coverage even though they repaired it--basically 'replacing' the damaged item with one that was restored even if it was the same item.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 08:00 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,209,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. 01 Snake View Post
All I can say is tell that to all the people that pay upfront and never ever get the work. A good contractor should not ask you to pay them before they do the work.

Just telling you what I know to be true. If they want the material cost, ask them for the invoice and give them that. But, really a roof takes a day or two at the most. So it is not like they are waiting months to get paid.

You should never pay for the job before it is completed.

I agree there are lots of good contractors out there. There are also a lot of not so great people out there. Just protect yourself.
Agreed!!! Good contractors, if they do not have the cash, have credit lines with their suppliers. I would question why they do not. Bad credit? Inexperience?

Old 06-29-2008, 10:18 PM

337 posts, read 823,363 times
Over the last 10 years I have seen some of the craftiest con artist that prey on people in bad (catastrophic) situations and there really is no end to what people will do.

I am always amazed at how good these scams get. I just ask myself, if you are that smart, why not be a illegitimate part of society?

Old 06-30-2008, 07:24 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,209,384 times
Asking for proof of liability is a good start. Then CALL the company and check.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,235 times
I've been in this business for some time. I've been a consultant for public, government and commercial roof systems.
I would not work by estimate, I will only work on your house if its for insurance proceeds. Most of the "good" roofing companies out there will only work for insurance proceeds. If you find a guy thats willing to give "estimates" that person is missing a few screws..

Don't be scared of the guy that doesn't give estimates. Its not a scam. Its the way most storm damage companies do business.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:05 PM

468 posts, read 1,533,269 times
This past Spring I had my roof, gutters, and fascia boards replaced due to hail damage.

I called three roofing companies. Each one was local. Each one said that they would work directly with the insurance company if I wanted them to. And, the difference in price, between all three of them, was just a few hundred bucks.

Each company had their own little "tweaks" when it came to customer service. But, the work that would be performed remained almost identical between them.

I picked the one that I thought had a friendlier attitude without being too pushy. The warranty of the shingles remained the same. But, the guy I picked gave me a better workmanship warranty than the other two did. Stuff like that.

And, all this time I had already received the initial check from the insurance company with more to follow for the withheld depreciation once the work had been completed.

The first two companies both wanted to see how much the insurance company was willing to pay. The guy I chose asked if I had received a check yet, but didn't want to look at it. He just said that a good insurance company would pay an initial check on the spot. And, he wanted to know which insurance company I had. When I told him which insurance company I used that's when he offered to work with them on my behalf if I wanted him to.

Go ahead and get three quotes. Ask lots of "service after the sale" types of questions. And, go with your gut instinct. My bet is that the quotes will be very close to each other in price.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:23 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,519,768 times
The insurance compnaies have a local program o thsie computers that will give a very accutrate cost on replacing your roof to specs they describe in their print out. TYou do not want to cheat on it or the next maybe on you if not done right. Hopeully your state has a inspention for such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House