Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 10:46 AM

10 posts, read 31,154 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of getting a downstairs master bedroom in my home.

It ocurred to me that means I'd have to leave BOTH ac units running at night to keep both our bedroom and the kids upstairs cool as well.

Am I wrong or is the whole purpose of 'dual zone' ac so you can cool just downstairs during the day and just upstairs during the night?

Will having bedrooms on both floors end up doubling my electric bill!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 10:50 AM

746 posts, read 2,247,642 times
I will try my hardest to never have a downstairs master again, unless it's a ranch For laundry, for AC, for heat, for convenience ... and, if you have a 2 story LR or foyer, it's nearly impossible to place the vents such that you aren't wasting tons of energy heating/cooling all that empty space - regardless of using the fan. It's a fad I hope we don't fall into the next time we buy a new home!!!

Old 06-26-2008, 12:00 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
I will try my hardest to never have a downstairs master again, unless it's a ranch For laundry, for AC, for heat, for convenience ... and, if you have a 2 story LR or foyer, it's nearly impossible to place the vents such that you aren't wasting tons of energy heating/cooling all that empty space - regardless of using the fan. It's a fad I hope we don't fall into the next time we buy a new home!!!
I feel just the opposite. We have our master downstairs and I wouldn't want it any other way. I'd be running up and down the stairs 3X as often as I currently do. Although I really do need the exercise.

We have a dual zone AC. One zone upstairs and one zone downstairs. Master is on the ground floor, all other bedrooms on the 2nd floor. We run both zones the same. See this thread regarding whether any of this will save any money.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...hermostat.html

Old 06-26-2008, 06:36 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I feel just the opposite. We have our master downstairs and I wouldn't want it any other way.
It's certainly better. I get a lot of exercise...

Old 06-26-2008, 06:40 PM

83 posts, read 335,669 times
I agree completely about downstairs Masters, and we have 2 kids. Yes, we get some exercise, but in terms of energy usage, its not an issue at all. Even during this past month, on a 2100 sq. foot home with dual zones, my energy portion of the bill was only $150. That was with the straight week of 100's.

I do agree that the 2 story LR is the biggest waste, mainly because we used to have one until we had construction and made 2 rooms from 1. They are actually the biggest waste during the winter..all that heat ends up in the ceiling 18 feet above you.

Different strokes for different folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House