Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 12:28 PM

272 posts, read 1,002,662 times

Advertisements

Ihave a ?, I put out moth balls around my pool to keep moles from digging under my pool, I saw two black birds picking up the moth balls, and rubbing them under there wings. has anybody ever seen this and why would they do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 02:27 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,591 times
My first thought was to wonder if they were Grackles...some of the goofiest birds on this earth. When I stopped laughing at the mental picture of them using mothballs for "underwing B.O." I did a little Googling...looks like it is common behaviour.

Davis: Mothballs may help birds run off pests : Columnists : Knoxville News Sentinel

Just do a search for Blackbirds and Mothballs...

Old 06-27-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAm View Post
Ihave a ?, I put out moth balls around my pool to keep moles from digging under my pool, I saw two black birds picking up the moth balls, and rubbing them under there wings. has anybody ever seen this and why would they do this?
Thanks for that info, I never seen anything like that before.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:17 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Just had to say . . . loved this post! I have seen a lot of crazy stuff w/ birds (and ohhhhh, how I DESPISE Grackles!!!!). But this thing w/ the mothballs . . . who knew??? Hee Hee Hee

Old 06-28-2008, 10:31 AM

Ok, I have another ?, How do you keep the birds from eating your grass seed, I used to shoot the little *****, but my neighbors dont like hot lead flying around, I tried those fake owls,but they just laugh at them, Im thinking of geting the old shot gun out as a last resort. My neighbors cat used to help, but he retired, and sits on the back porch, drinking scotch and sodas.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAm View Post
Ok, I have another ?, How do you keep the birds from eating your grass seed, I used to shoot the little *****, but my neighbors dont like hot lead flying around, I tried those fake owls,but they just laugh at them, Im thinking of geting the old shot gun out as a last resort. My neighbors cat used to help, but he retired, and sits on the back porch, drinking scotch and sodas.
Keeping birds away is a problem w/ seed . . . I have put up "noise makers" before, trying to keep Grackles away. Take pie pans, string several together like windchimes so they will make noise in the breeze - hand in trees. I even had a neighbor attach a string to the "noise makers" so she could pull it and jiggle it when the birds were around. She was having a BIG PROBLEM, LOL!!!!

I enjoy birdwatching and so don't want anything to actually harm the birds (except for blackbirds and grackles, wh/ I would LOVE to shoot). Intermittent water from a sprinkler also can help, but we are in a drought so that won't work at this time . . . Other than dogs and cats and children and various noise to keep the birds away . . . I don't have a solution.

I used to raise shelties and they loved to run after birds, so if you don't have a cat or a dog . . . maybe you should get one!!!

Old 06-29-2008, 01:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Once grackles start using treees as nesting places in the spring it is a very big problem to get rif of them. They will ignore all scare tactics in the end. This usually happens once a tree become very large and mature.The only solution is to make sure the tree of thsi type are not near the house that I have seen. Many peole cut down trees like thsi for that reason.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,977 times
Where can I buy noise maker products for commerical property surrounding with trees.
Thanks

Old 02-25-2011, 12:11 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Once grackles start using treees as nesting places in the spring it is a very big problem to get rif of them. They will ignore all scare tactics in the end. This usually happens once a tree become very large and mature.The only solution is to make sure the tree of thsi type are not near the house that I have seen. Many peole cut down trees like thsi for that reason.

Try to attract some hawks, bald eagles or other birds of prey. Wont they eat the Grackles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House