U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 10:40 AM

7 posts, read 80,293 times

Advertisements

Are the 200 series windows good and reliable? Do they stand up to weather?

I'd rather spend $ on those than the $$$ for the 400 series- but only want to make that decision after I've heard from others who know the windows and have experienced them themselves/

Thanks!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 07:31 PM

177 posts, read 841,388 times
I am in the building materials sales now, but I built houses for 20 yrs. The 200 is a builders
series window in even sizes. And as good as 400 just not all the bells.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:32 AM

9,483 posts, read 11,237,756 times
Andersen&#174 Online

The 200 series is fine, more affordable, but not as energy efficient. The 400 series offers more selection of product, as well.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:46 AM

Default How is the 200 not as energy efficient?

I live on the water- and the window faces south- so it gets alot of sun directly on it. and it gets alot of breeze.

Most importantly, I want it not to leak. The current window leaks air and water when you spray it with a hose. It's a glider and I like the look of the glider alot but wonder if the design contributes to the leakage issue.

Any additional advice is appreciated!!!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:47 AM

Can you tell me how it's not as energy efficient? Do gliding windows leak energy? or is the glass cheaper?

I live on the water- and the window faces south- so it gets alot of sun directly on it. and it gets alot of breeze.

Most importantly, I want it not to leak. The current window leaks air and water when you spray it with a hose. It's a glider and I like the look of the glider alot but wonder if the design contributes to the leakage issue.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:22 PM

2,952 posts, read 12,491,341 times
Having just installed hurricane impact windows (not related to your posting), I have come to learn a bit about various manufacturers. The first thing I would have checked is the actual installation of the window. If there isn't a problem with the actual installation and it's with the window itself - that's another issue entirely.

Every single manufacturer has a weakness. Keep on researching. Also re energy efficiency - compare the thickness of the glass in both products and the type of coating that is used on each. If there is no discernable difference then you'll have your answer.

Good luck.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:40 AM

9 posts, read 42,808 times
The 200 series are the same materials and construction as the 400 series, there are just fewer options. Unless you have to have the Terratone cladding or some other feature that is only found in the 400 series, then the 200 should do just fine for you.

A new windows will not leak, but installation can be a big factor. If the areas around the window is not sealed properly by the installer, then you will have problems.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,764 times
What is the difference in price for the 100 series and 400 series?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or