Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 04:45 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,417,031 times

Advertisements

My bathroom doors creeps closed and I'm wondering what can I do to stop it??? I thought it might be due to the ac but it happens when its not on. Do I tighten a screw in one of the hinges?? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 05:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
My bathroom doors creeps closed and I'm wondering what can I do to stop it??? I thought it might be due to the ac but it happens when its not on. Do I tighten a screw in one of the hinges?? TIA
Most often the door is no longer "Plumb"... you can check it with a level to see how far off from square it is and reset the hinges to bring it back to plumb.

It is fairly common in older homes that have settled a little over the years.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:09 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times
Oh, don't even get me started on this issue - hubby is anal, LOL He has worked on the downstairs bathroom door to no end, it still creeps, but I can't take it anymore (his banging, swearing, etc. ) - I say let it creep. (I'm looking on EBay and flea markets, etc for a cool art deco door stop that'll fit the theme).

Old 07-10-2008, 09:43 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,456,406 times
Simple fix.
Take off the screws from the bottom hinge.
Place a piece of cardboard cut to size in between hinge and door frame. and rescrew.

If it's due to A/C there may not be enough of a undercut under the door. If the cardboard doesn't fix it reply back and I'll have the A/C solve for you.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:48 PM

If you think you can't make the card board sized to be hidden for eye sore....then buy wooden shims. Cut majority of the fat section off and use skinner section and two of them top and bottom and rescrew hinge to frame.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:00 AM

604 posts, read 4,621,119 times
our new house has this problem on the laundry room doors which is the path to the garage so I keep it open all the time. I had a bootle of fabric softner trying to hold it open. I asked the construction man and he told me to take out the "pin", lay it down on the cement, whack a few times with hammer until it had barely bent, put it back in the hinge. It worked for one of mine but not that darn laundry room (he told me not to spray wd40 which I did all over before) Installed a magnetic door stopper thing that has one piece on the bottom of the door and one piece on the baseboard. Works like a dream.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:21 AM

All because the carpenters were to slack to use a level.

New construction should not have this problem. Buildings that settle can initiate the problem. I can't believe he "told" you to do it.....I would never call them again.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:52 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,949,730 times
EASY FIX....

After all the advice to get it plumb, etc. etc. I found the answer to my problems a couple of years ago...

Remove the hinge pins one at a time and bend them every so slightly which will create friction. It may take one or all three but it will allow the door to stay where you put it.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:00 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
My grandfather used to make subtle adjustments to doorframes by placing a piece of 2X4 over the doorframe in the spot that needed adjustment and giving it a few "gentle" whacks with a 6 lb. hammer. Done and done, grandpa.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
EASY FIX....

After all the advice to get it plumb, etc. etc. I found the answer to my problems a couple of years ago...

Remove the hinge pins one at a time and bend them every so slightly which will create friction. It may take one or all three but it will allow the door to stay where you put it.

Not trying to be an azz......

take a look at that fix. You are taking a cyl. and a picn that fits in it and bending it....once bent you then put that back into this used to be round cylinder...The pin doesn't increase in size but the cyl in fit's in will. After a certain period of time and warping of the cyl you will either need a bigger pin or to just change out the whole hinge.

Watch this old house his fix isn't bending the pin...it's placing a shim in one or more of the hingest to put tension on the whole hinge so if it does warp anything it all warps together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House