Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 09:47 PM

421 posts, read 3,224,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The wall segments you point to in blue are almost definitely load-bearing. Looks like they left a doubled 2 x 10 beam to support things and put in an end column to support it. Chances are it isn't going anywhere unless there is a second story or southern CA gets an unusually heavy snowfall. Depending on a lot of factors, the red Xd walls could act as buttresses, especially in an earthquake. You definitely need a structural engineer to make that determination.
WAAHHHH WAAHHH sniff sob ...I didn't understand everything you said but it sounded you said NO WAY! FEGETABOUTIT!

OK this is my last hope of opening up the galley kitchen...can I cut out big squares out of the walls with red X's (from the top of the range behind the wall almost to the ceiling) or would that affect the way it holds up the walls?

Let this be a warning to everyone..don't listen to a realtor who says they've seen "this style of house redone hundreds of different ways" including the way I suggested..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 09:15 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Almost any design issue can be solved if you throw enough money at it.

I'll assume that the ceiling configuration is the same in the kitchen as in the other rooms.

See that big load bearing beam at the top? A qualified contractor can come in with jack posts and temporary beams on either side of that, cut the beam out, do the same in the kitchen, remove the wall, and replace the two short beams with a single steel beam or a larger laminated beam to span the entire distance. There will need to be some serious permanent columns (probably steel box columns to keep the size down) at the ends of that beam, and there even might need to be support pads under those columns, but it can be done. I would focus on the beam as a design element and either draw attention to it by using a wood veneer, or some other technique.

At that point, the Xd walls and that short wall can be removed entirely. To be safe, the walls that the columns are integrated into may need to be opened up, and possibly braced. There is just not enough information to tell, and only an on-site inspection can give that answer.

You'll have issues with electric wires having to be rerouted - both from the missing walls, and somehow around the columns. (Maybe a chase underneath or in back of cabinetry?)
Hopefully there is no plumbing in the walls you remove. After all the demo and repair of the walls, the floor will have to be fixed, which will be another major cost.

You'll absolutely need permits for this type of work, and my wild guess is that with all the different costs - materials, labor, engineering study and sign-off to get the permit, etc. - you are looking at a minimum of $15K in California. However, it'll resolve the problem with the un-permitted work, which might come back to haunt you when you sell.

The holes in the walls that you suggested as an alternative are generally called pass-throughs, and frankly, in this situation, they wouldn't look good at all. You might do the work unpermitted, and as long as proper headers are used, you might not run into problems, but if you do, your insurance adjuster is going to look at you and laugh when you ask for money.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:42 AM

Wow Harry Chickpea, you sure know a lot for a legume

Seriously though, thank you very, very much for the great explanation I've learned a lot.

Since spending over 15k just to move the wall is out of the question, I guess I'll have to get used to the idea of running back and forth in the galley kitchen like a rat, even though I swore I'd never get a galley kitchen.

I'm going to go and write out "Never, Ever Assume Anything" 500 times on the blackboard...

Old 07-21-2008, 11:18 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
Wow Harry Chickpea, you sure know a lot for a legume

Seriously though, thank you very, very much for the great explanation I've learned a lot.

Since spending over 15k just to move the wall is out of the question, I guess I'll have to get used to the idea of running back and forth in the galley kitchen like a rat, even though I swore I'd never get a galley kitchen.

I'm going to go and write out "Never, Ever Assume Anything" 500 times on the blackboard...
Let's see the rest of the house, maybe you could move the kitchen.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:15 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Let's see the rest of the house, maybe you could move the kitchen.
Yes...let's see a picture of that wall from inside the kitchen. You might be able to put a breakfast bar supported by columns on each side. Hard to say without seeing the kitchen view of the wall.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:55 PM

Ok you got it! Just cover your children's eyes because its VERY ugly!

The picture on the right is just to show that blank area on the bearing wall that is cut out of the left picture. I have no idea what is supposed to go there since the space for the fridge is definitely on the other wall .. Any ideas?

BTW, notice all the missing knobs and even the lousy 85 cent electrical covers!! The seller is taking every single thing that he can including the recessed lights in the kitchen! Too bad he isn't taking out the ugly tile, although he did break quite a few

I'm closing in a few weeks and I can't wait to see what he'll take by then. Maybe the garage!

This picture is the space next to the kitchen. Its a really weird space and I have no idea what to do with it. Its "behind" the door as you come in so it feels very awkward. I can't imagine hanging out in the area. Its too bad since the house is only 1400 feet so I hate to waste the space.

The last pic is the space to the left of the kitchen away from the garage. I think its a good space for a dining room table but I'm open if you can think of a way to add it to the kitchen!

Old 07-21-2008, 08:08 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
I'm having a hard time conceptualizing this. Wish I were there...I redesigned my kitchen and the contractor just followed. Of course, certain things can't be done like when load bearing walls are concerned or plumbing pipes that cannot be moved.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:12 PM

Wish you were too! I can post better pictures in a few weeks when I sign the closing papers

Old 07-21-2008, 08:33 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,328,608 times
Quote:
I don't know why I didn't think of posting a picture of the wall earlier! I put red X's on the wall I want to remove. Can anyone tell from the picture if its bearing or not?

The blue lines point to the part of the wall that was leftover when it was taken down without permits. I think it looks terrible. It reminds me of the thin strip of paper that is left when you tear a page out of a notepad!

Do you think its decorative or is actually holding up the walls and ceiling?

Quote:
Ok you got it! Just cover your children's eyes because its VERY ugly!

The picture on the right is just to show that blank area on the bearing wall that is cut out of the left picture. I have no idea what is supposed to go there since the space for the fridge is definitely on the other wall .. Any ideas?

BTW, notice all the missing knobs and even the lousy 85 cent electrical covers!! The seller is taking every single thing that he can including the recessed lights in the kitchen! Too bad he isn't taking out the ugly tile, although he did break quite a few

I'm closing in a few weeks and I can't wait to see what he'll take by then. Maybe the garage!

This picture is the space next to the kitchen. Its a really weird space and I have no idea what to do with it. Its "behind" the door as you come in so it feels very awkward. I can't imagine hanging out in the area. Its too bad since the house is only 1400 feet so I hate to waste the space.

The last pic is the space to the left of the kitchen away from the garage. I think its a good space for a dining room table but I'm open if you can think of a way to add it to the kitchen!
Im having a hard time seeing it too. Do you have a floor plan. If you cant do the breakfast bar thing. How about some big windows . If you can use that wierd space behind the door for a built in hutch that would make up for removing some of your upper cabinets. For the hutch use the same cabinets and counter as in the kitchen but with glass door cabinets on top for display or solid if your not into display. Think of it as a fancy pantry. Not sure how big it is but maybe you could have a desk area too.

Also that blue wall/bearing wall thing is kinda blah. Maybe some faux pillars would help. Maybe in more ways than one if you use them for more support. And its too short. Since it cant be made flush with the X wall Id like to see it extended just a little so that your furniture isnt half exposed.

I forgot to ask. How old is your house and what style is it. .

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 07-21-2008 at 09:01 PM..

Old 07-21-2008, 09:55 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
By the angle of the ceiling and direction, the blue marked wall is almost definitly load bearing. The walls marked in red, may or may not be structual to holding up the blue wall. Get it checked by a contractor for a neater, more agreeable way to replace or move the walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House