Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:21 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times

Advertisements

Our walk-in pantry (maybe 5x5) has ventilated wire shelving. I hate ventilated wire shelving - the little bottle of vanilla extract falls over.

Any ideas on alternatives to this? The only obvious one is to install wood shelving in it's place...does anyone have an idea how much this might run?

I was wondering if you could theoretically just cover the shelves with veneer board and slap some molding or other veneer lip on the front - is this just absurd to even think about? Without knowing how much putting in actual wooden shelves would cost, I have no clue if it's even cost-practical to worry about alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 07:45 AM

604 posts, read 4,620,598 times
i used to have this problem when I had baby food jars all lined up. Now it's pudding cups. I used to use those little trays that can be added together for $1/piece. I think they are meant for cutlery.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:34 AM

955 posts, read 3,647,647 times
We have wood shelves in our walk in pantry and love it.... no idea about the cost though... If you can do it, they are much more practicle.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:46 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I wouldn't think that wood would be that expensive, and it certainly would be a do-it-yourself job if you can work a saw, a measuring tape and a drill. I hate wire shelves!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:59 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
We had the same problem. Bed, Bath and Beyond has plastic sheets that will fit over the wire shelving (we did this a few years ago, but they probably still have it). For our spices, we went to Home Depot and found shelving that would attach to the door and areas of the wall that would accommodate smaller shelving. There are all different sizes. These have worked well for us.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:39 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
I've seen some custom shelves put in walk-ins (and smaller) that flip this way and that, rotate, slide out.. Looks very modern and efficient. It was made in the style of modern cabinetry with metal hardware and glides with dovetailed wooden shelves, cubbies and knick-knack holders.

I'm sure it's $$$$'s..

We have a small closet in our kitchen. Standard door and some ill-designed wooden shelves. It really limits what you can store and makes access to items stored in the back pretty tough to get to. I think, time peremitting, I'm going to make some heavy wooden shelves on gliders and incorporate some cubbies for spices, small condiment jars, things like that.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:06 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
the plastic sheets work, I use them, and easy to keep clean if anything spills. I am not a fan of the ventilated shelving but that's what I have, even in the linen closets, i don't like it, the bottom towels always have the grid marks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
We had the same problem. Bed, Bath and Beyond has plastic sheets that will fit over the wire shelving (we did this a few years ago, but they probably still have it). For our spices, we went to Home Depot and found shelving that would attach to the door and areas of the wall that would accommodate smaller shelving. There are all different sizes. These have worked well for us.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:12 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,687 times
Default wire shelves

I thought I wanted the ventilate shelving, but have had the same issues with things that don't stand up. I found some baskets to keep small bottles, spices etc. inside. The shelves in my linen closet drive me crazy. I wonder if they're not level, 'cuz whenever I put cans of hairspray, bath cleaner, bottles of lotion on them, they fall over. I bought one of those "Sterilite" boxes and keep it on the "bathroom stuff" shelf to prevent the tipsys!. I had always thought it would be nicer, look nicer, but I admit I hate them!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 11:10 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
The ventilated shelves are a lot less expensive to put in than wood/plywood/particle board shelves. I too have them and don't like them. I got a roll of very cheap vinyl flooring to cut and fit over them which did help.

But then there's that problem of stuff getting lost in the back of the shelf. I ended up getting a bunch of fairly inexpensive Rubbermaid pull out bins to fit to the shelves. I used electrical cable ties to hold the slides to the shelves. It's not perfect but it makes the pantry work a lot better.

My next kitchen will have pull out everything.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:53 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
The ventilated shelving is good in pantries because any food or crumbs, etc, will fall through to the floor and can easily be cleaned. I have a huge pantry with these shelves. I would not want to have to wipe down the solid shelving. To solve the problem of small bottles, I have my "spice" bin, where I keep all my spices. Just look for a clear plastic bin that is the appropriate size for what you need. It actually works out quite well when cooking. You can just pick up the entire bin and keep it near the stove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House