Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 01:15 AM

2 posts, read 76,568 times

Advertisements

I apologize if I am posting this message at a wrong place…
We just moved into a new house which has a front door with two glass panels (one on each side) next to the door.
I just couldn’t help to think what would prevent a burglar to break the glass and reach over inside of the door and open the door?
Does anybody have a front entrance like this? If so how do you ensure the front door’s lock is safe from the concern?
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 06:15 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
I have glass panels in my front door as well. What is too keep burglars out: a big dog and a shotgun. Plus I live in a very quiet town in one of the quietest neighborhood in town, not much happens here.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:51 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
we do, but have never really worried about a break in. (Perhaps we should). I know some people who have the inner pane and an outer pane of glass that may help as a detterent?? That may be something to consider

Old 07-18-2008, 07:05 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,610,522 times
My answer to that is if a burgular wants to get into your house, he will, glass or no glass. I think a burgular breaking your glass by your front door would be quite obvious to your neighbors what he is doing though, that might be a deterrent. Hubby and I were looking at a house the other night that is being built. It has a walkup basement with french doors. I'd be more scared of something like that because a burgular could walk down the steps to the basement and never be seen as he broke the glass and got into the house. Forgot to say that my front door, doesn't have the side glass panels, but the top half of the door itself is glass. I just don't worry about it. I'd be more concerned if I lived in a rougher neighborhood/city. Typical crimes in my area, which are very few, are of people leaving valuables in unlocked cars.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:17 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer View Post
I apologize if I am posting this message at a wrong place…
We just moved into a new house which has a front door with two glass panels (one on each side) next to the door.
I just couldn’t help to think what would prevent a burglar to break the glass and reach over inside of the door and open the door?
Does anybody have a front entrance like this? If so how do you ensure the front door’s lock is safe from the concern?
Thank you in advance.
I am assuming all of your windows are glass and do not have bars on them?? Just busting your chops... as said- there is ALWAYS a way in- I think you are fine- if there was really a need to worry you WOULD have the bars on the windows and a steel door in front with more locks than the nearest prison. But if the door freaks you out that much get rid of it.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:37 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
we have always had the side panels and I hadn't ever thought of a burglar breaking them to get in. I guess, i just figure we don't have the kind of stuff that anyone else would want to steal! nothing fancy or extremely valuable. If you are worried about burglars, perhaps an alarm is in order.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:06 AM

764 posts, read 2,548,135 times
We were advised to install double keyed deadbolts on any exterior door with glass or sidelites so they just couldn't break the glass, reach in and unlock the door. Then again, if you or your kids have to leave the house in an emergency, you'd have to find a key to open the door from the inside.

We have double sided locks on 2 exterior doors and I must admit I rarely use them when we're home.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:11 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,451,672 times
I have always been a little leary of side windows too, altho I enjoy the sunlight that brightens the entry area when they are present.

We had those side windows in my last house and my partner installed transparent Lexan behind the glass. If you are familar with Lexan, you know that it is often used in banks to protect tellers, etc. It is extremely strong and not easily broken as glass is. Some say it is bullet-proof although I think that refers to the much thicker kind than the one we used. It sure would be hard to break what we used tho!

I always felt safer with the Lexan panels and they allowed me the appearance of normal glass in those vulnerable side windows. Just thought I would pass this along for any who want to consider it.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:12 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I have glass panels in my front door as well. What is too keep burglars out: a big dog and a shotgun. Plus I live in a very quiet town in one of the quietest neighborhood in town, not much happens here.
I prefer a small yappy dawg to wake the big hungry one up.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:36 PM

405 posts, read 1,769,873 times
Double-keyed deadbolts. That's what we have.

Though if a thief wants into your house that badly, what's to stop him/her from just breaking a window and climbing on in? Or a back patio/slider door?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House