Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 10:31 PM

58 posts, read 330,099 times

Advertisements

We bought a 15 year old house two months ago. We're still just moving in. Today I went into the garage and noticed a place where it looked like the tape was loose on the ceiling near the attic door. I opened the garage door for more natural light and was able to see that there is, in fact, a depression several inches long.

Since we have stored a few boxes up there, placed on the planks, my son went up to see where they were in relation to the places on the ceiling. When he stood where some of the boxes were, near the spot I described, a little place on the ceiling started cracking. He moved off that spot quickly, and moved the boxes to another part of the attic.

What do I need to do now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 08:01 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
First of all, I hope he was standing on the framing, or the planks and not the drywall.

Is the roof trusses (wood with metal plates at junctions) or stick built (regular lumber).
Is the attic ladder or hatch installed IN-LINE with the framing, or is it CROSSWAYS to the framing?

If someone installed the ladder or access perpendicular to the framing, then they cut the bottom chord of a truss, or ceiling joist and weakened the framing.
I have included a couple photos that show stick built, trusses, and a cut truss for a ladder.
Hope this helps. Feel free to DM me for more info.
Attached Thumbnails
Attic-cuttruss2.jpg   Attic-cuttrusses.jpg   Attic-stickframing.jpg  

Last edited by Barking Spider; 07-20-2008 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 07-20-2008, 01:00 PM

58 posts, read 330,099 times
Yes, he was standing on the framing and planks. That was the first thing I checked on while he was up there. I will go up to the attic and get the answers to the rest of your questions.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 10,978 times
We are trying to put floor-boards down in our Maronda Home attic. The access was already installed, and we added a small retractable ladder. This weekend we went and purchased our plywood. Now, the problem that we're having is that the insulation is too think. it comes almost 6" above the 2x4 joists! There's nothing to screw the floor boards into at this point. I noticed one of your photos showed that you had built the floor up over the insulation by connecting 2x4s to the diagonal supports. We were concerned that this would weaken the integrity of the framing system, and or not be "to code" for insurance purposes. It also seem like a lot more work that we intially thought. On the other hand, we feel like compacting the insulation to secure the floor boards to the joists will put too much pressure on the ceiling below. Any advice would be great!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:54 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Those photos are from inspections, and not my house by the way.

OK, first of all, you will not create a problem by ADDING lumber to the trusses. Just don't remove any or cut any. Second, the attic framing is not really designed to support heavy loads, so don't plan on putting a lot of stuff up there.

You can just screw some 2x4's across the trusses above the insulation to create a platform for your plywood decking. Just like the photos.

Just remember, DO NOT CUT ANY ROOF FRAMING!!!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:57 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
I have noticed that some stick-framed homes will not have very hefty ceiling joists above the garage. It isn't uncommon to just see 2X6's spanning the entire length of the garage ceiling without any bracing or supports (just the ends resting on the bearing walls). If that is the case, don't put much faith in their strength. They are only there to hold sheetrock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House