Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:52 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Agree. I do a lot of cooking and a lot of holiday meals and big family gatherings. Had a double oven at one time . . . very convenient for those occasions. This time, don't have one and don't even care, as I got a huge roaster (electric - made by Nesco) that will do a turkey over 35 lbs. I also have a smaller Nesco wh/ I use for roasts, pork butt/hams, chicken, etc. I save a lot on electricity costs, too. Plus - the meats are frankly much more moist and tender using this method. The roasters are so convenient - can plug them up anywhere, including out on the patio.

I opted for a warming drawer this go round and I would highly recommend this to anyone who really uses his/her kitchen and cooks a lot. Even for family meals, a warming drawer is nice if you have people eating in "shifts."

SO no, even tho I know it is the trendy thing to do - I have figured out a much better method for handling "my own style" of cooking . . . and don't care a thing about taking up the space for that oven - and I recommend spending the money on a warming drawer, instead (or just save the money and forget the double oven!) Again - that is my way of doing things - may not fit someone else's lifestyle or "cooking style."
Agree....I didn't take the time to mention it in my post, but I too use the Nesco Roaster for holiday meats...turkey, etc. and find it much more convenient. I use it in my laundry room which is adjacent to the kitchen. Makes it much more convenient and MIL watches over the turkey while I do the rest of the dinner. Works great for us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 11:38 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I would say it depends on the age of the double ovens and the features on the drop in. One thing you could look into is that there are ranges with a double oven. Maytag makes one (I think it is Maytag). It has a smaller top oven and a regular size bottom. They basically eliminated the drawer under the stove.

We are in the very early planning stages to remodel our kitchen so I can have a double oven .
Yes, the Maytag Gemini range has a double oven. We did our kitchen over 2 years ago, and installed a double wall oven. I will never go back to a single oven.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:09 PM

421 posts, read 3,223,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer1212 View Post
"How Important is a Double Oven to Most Women?"

That's the title of your thread. So my question is, do you want answers from women only? Or are you interested in responses from the cooks who actually use the appliances in the kitchen? Pretty sexist, dontcha think?

If I ever want to hide something from my wife, I put it in the oven. She'd never find it there. I do all the cooking in my house, and am finding that there are many men like me out there.

OK.....minor rant over. Double ovens are cool and useful on a regular basis. Yes, they take up space, but are worth it, IMHO. Your mileage may vary.

Streamer1212
PMS ???

I suggest you step out of the kitchen once in a while and get some fresh air!

Old 07-22-2008, 05:51 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
Just did a total remodel of our kitchen and specifically designed a double wall oven in. Never had that before and we do love it.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:25 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
I'm flip-flopping back and forth reading your posts

Maybe my eyes are just bigger than my stomach from living in a tiny apartment for years and this is plenty of counter space..what do you think? (ignore the ugly tile, I had nothing to do with it!!)

Looking at your kitchen, you have a decent amount of counter space. You could use more- but it seems ample enough on either side of your sink if need be. What I would want is more storage space... perhaps putting a pantry in insted because you are going to loose storage under the stove if you put a regular one pc oven/stove combo in. Is the oven the only thing you are changing? I am assuming not if you are talking about the tile and counters...

Old 07-23-2008, 09:20 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times
Hey I will stick with my single oven. If I had a double, then I would surely be expected to cook double the time I do now!! LOL

Old 07-23-2008, 09:34 PM

421 posts, read 3,223,039 times
Look at what I found today in a magazine! A range with 2 ovens! It comes in gas also.

I didn't know something like this even existed!

Wouldn't this be a good compromise? I know its easier to have an oven at eye level, but I think my kitchen really needs more counter space!

is this the best of both worlds or a waste of money? It costs $1600.

skbs, to answer your question, I do want to cahenge the cabinets and the tile but I'm trying to keep the layout as close to the original as possible to save money on moving pipes etc...

Old 07-24-2008, 07:24 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
Look at what I found today in a magazine! A range with 2 ovens! It comes in gas also.

I have this range - or something similar. Mine is the Jenn Aire dual fuel gas (propane) 5 burner cooktop and double oven with both self-cleaning and convection in the lower. I love, love, love this range and it doesn't take up any more space than the old one did. It has a tremendous range of heat (100 to 550F). It gives me so much versatility. I find I no longer use half the appliances I did before - even the yogurt maker is superseded by the oven. No need for a toaster oven or crockpot. Even the racks are great. The bottom oven is full size so no sacrifice there. The top oven takes up the space that useless drawer used to in ranges.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:48 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
Looking at your picture I'd put a smooth top stove with single oven where your cooktop is and a shelf above for a microwave. Take the space with the present dbl ovens and make that a huge pantry for storage as you don't have nearly enough.

I don't think the size of the kitchen warrants more than that.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:16 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times
Hey Panks! I love that stove. That one gets my vote The little stove on the top would be perfect. Now that is one I would consider. Love a gas cook top. Our house came with the one that is a gas /convection, but it has the stupid warming drawer on the bottom...seriously, a warming drawer??? Food doesn't have a chance of getting cold around here, when I do cook!

The one you show would be my ideal, and if it came in a dual fuel that would be utopia. (like the bigger oven be gas and the little one be electtic)

One thing though, is personally I don't care about having a microwave over the stove...I am always scared I will set myself on fire, if I am cooking at the gas top at the same time, and it never fails I spill stuff from the microwave and don't want it falling on the stove.

Good luck! I like your kitchen, those galley styles really save steps..I loved the ones I had....and the key is organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House