Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 06:26 AM

3,979 posts, read 6,540,456 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone - looking for your thoughts, ideas on possible colors for the trim surrounding our front door. I finished this project a few years ago and it certainly looks better (IMHO) than the before picture that I have included below (the one with the shutters is the before pic), but I was thinking it might be nice to make the trim stand out a bit more than it does since its white on white right now. What color would you paint it? Thanks!

Looking for your thoughts-front-door-before.jpg

Looking for your thoughts-front-door-after.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 07:12 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,433,521 times
Need to see a pix of the whole front in order to give an opinion. Also need to know the color of the front door. But yes good job on removing the shutters!!!

Old 07-25-2008, 07:26 AM

Okay - here is a pic of the house. The only thing that has changed since this was taken is the landscaping. The house itself looks the same. I can't remember the color of the front door, but it is like a deep slate kind of blue color. Thanks!

Looking for your thoughts-my-pictures0005.jpg

Old 07-25-2008, 07:39 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,137,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Hi everyone - looking for your thoughts, ideas on possible colors for the trim surrounding our front door. I finished this project a few years ago and it certainly looks better (IMHO) than the before picture that I have included below (the one with the shutters is the before pic), but I was thinking it might be nice to make the trim stand out a bit more than it does since its white on white right now. What color would you paint it? Thanks!

Attachment 24177

Attachment 24176
What color are the shingles on your roof, and do you have any shutters? You could try to use a color from either of those and paint the trim/door the same or different colors. Just an idea. Oops, just noticed the house picture. How about burgundy door/slate or dark grey trim. Might be too much!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:01 AM

Okay, The rule of thumb is the door facing is the same color as the trim on the rest of the house, although some paint it the same as the door. In your case I dont think I would paint it the same. But your entry does look alittle bland so this is my "first opinion". The side lights are to small for the entry, I would change them to black finish colonial style lamps and also stain the concrete stoop to bring more focus to the front. The landscape around the door which you said you have added, needs to be taller and fuller. Build some large planters on each side of the door and add lots of color, bring your landscape out away from the doorway also following the curves of the stoop. Also get your house numbers to the side of your door, in black or the newer ceramic plates which are expensive. This is a safety thing with me but it also can help with the look.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:45 AM

3,191 posts, read 9,164,765 times
ummmm,could you possibly add a little porch with some interesting columns?

Old 07-25-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
ummmm,could you possibly add a little porch with some interesting columns?
I could....but thats not in the budget

Old 07-25-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
Okay, The rule of thumb is the door facing is the same color as the trim on the rest of the house, although some paint it the same as the door. In your case I dont think I would paint it the same. But your entry does look alittle bland so this is my "first opinion". The side lights are to small for the entry, I would change them to black finish colonial style lamps and also stain the concrete stoop to bring more focus to the front. The landscape around the door which you said you have added, needs to be taller and fuller. Build some large planters on each side of the door and add lots of color, bring your landscape out away from the doorway also following the curves of the stoop. Also get your house numbers to the side of your door, in black or the newer ceramic plates which are expensive. This is a safety thing with me but it also can help with the look.
Interesting thoughts. I actually had a real hard time finding lights where the base of the light would fit within the confines of the wood block behind them...and yes i can replace the wood blocks with something bigger, but i really don't want to start messing with the siding so i was trying to stick with what was there. Maybe I should have looked harder, but this is what we have for now. I would definitley consider bigger lamps next next time and we had already thought we would go back to black so its interesting you said that. I like the idea about staining the stoop.... the planters we have now (which I don't have a picture of) are actually much nicer than the ones in the pictures. They are a little bigger and wider so I can check that off!

The landscaping beds actually came out about another 2 feet when we redid that and we have some hollies on either side of the front door which will eventually grow in. they actually shot up a foot this year so I guess it will look better over time. So I guess I should just leave the white alone then? Thanks for all the help

Old 07-25-2008, 09:36 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,192,872 times
Painter as always had excellent suggestions. When you can, I would definitely change the coach lights to something with an estate feel and in black. Your house numbers also need to be in the front - you can have beautiful plaques made with the house numbers and even the family name if you want it, that are also decorative and would add color.

You did a fantastic job on the door, it looks worlds better! I don't think the beautiful fluted surround/casing would look good painted anything but white - at least I can't envision it. Would it be too terrible to paint the door a different color? Something that would pop - perhaps a deeper toned red? I don't know how that would go with your blue shutters - but the door just seems to disappear and with white roof, white house, white door trim and what looks to be a dark blue door - you need a focal point that stands out.

I would definitely treat the stoop area. In fact my DH is out tiling our front porch right now. That makes a great option for us in Florida - it gives a much more finished look.
Perhaps slate or even thin pavers/brick would work for you. It looks like you may have a paver path leading up to your door - if so I would try to continue that onto the stoop area. If nothing else, at least use a concrete stain in perhaps a soft grey?

Your home is beautiful. The main thing it needs is color and a focal point. It sounds like you're already addressing the landscaping issue. When planning the landscape be sure to include plants that will help add the color you need. Your home has lots or potential -and you've got a great start. Good luck and have fun!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:26 AM

We have run into this problem with swapping lites. Next time out look at the lites that are on an arm and hang out further from the house. These normally can fit into the existing box. I dont know the name of these lites but they hang on something like an S hook. We have in the past "created" a wood block over the siding, it takes abit of skill and then caulk up the sides and paint. This will cause the wood block to fade away and the lites are larger so they are not noticable. I like the idea of a covered porch but now you are talking alot of cash to get one in purportion to your home and to have it done correctly so that it doesn't look like an after thought. I like to get more creative and spend less cash!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House