Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 06:31 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times

Advertisements

I had a Black & Decker Steam Advantage that served me well for 5 years. The heating coil just gave out this year.

I have a Shark. It does an excellent job at ironing - but it doesn't like any water except tap water. Using any other type of water causes brown water intermittent leaking.

I got both at Walmart (IMO the only thing Wally is good for)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 06:47 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
I guess I should have clarified that I don't have problems ironing (I'm quite good at it). Simply that of all the irons I have owned in my life, my Rowenta has been just awful. The auto-off seems to go off when I'm in the middle of ironing and it does not maintain heat. I don't know why I haven't just allowed myself to go back to a cheapy Black and Decker. I guess I just keep hoping that the Rowenta will suddenly be amazing. Ha!

Old 07-29-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I guess I should have clarified that I don't have problems ironing (I'm quite good at it). Simply that of all the irons I have owned in my life, my Rowenta has been just awful. The auto-off seems to go off when I'm in the middle of ironing and it does not maintain heat. I don't know why I haven't just allowed myself to go back to a cheapy Black and Decker. I guess I just keep hoping that the Rowenta will suddenly be amazing. Ha!
One thing I've learned about irons in my years: price means nothing.

Find an iron that is visually appealing and has the features you want. You might be surprised. I've never spent more than $60 on an iron and they've lasted an average of 5 years each.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:56 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
Thank you one and all for all the tips. And yes, I do need some advise on how to iron, that I am sure of. Maybe it's lack of patience but as I said I seem to create more wrinkles when I iron then I take out! I just get done with one area and it looks fine and then I go to do another area and wham--the first area has even worse wrinkles then it had before! I agree with the Rowenta--I seem to have a lot of problems with it and maybe I am getting frusterated. I am a grandmother so you'd think I could iron! Maybe it's an art I just can't figure out! I think I will try one more iron that I like the way it looks and the price is right and give it another try. I try to stay away from clothes that require ironing but hey, I love cotton too!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Thank you one and all for all the tips. And yes, I do need some advise on how to iron, that I am sure of. Maybe it's lack of patience but as I said I seem to create more wrinkles when I iron then I take out! I just get done with one area and it looks fine and then I go to do another area and wham--the first area has even worse wrinkles then it had before! I agree with the Rowenta--I seem to have a lot of problems with it and maybe I am getting frusterated. I am a grandmother so you'd think I could iron! Maybe it's an art I just can't figure out! I think I will try one more iron that I like the way it looks and the price is right and give it another try. I try to stay away from clothes that require ironing but hey, I love cotton too!
I'm an ironing master. It's folding that throws me off.

Anyway, the best thing I can tell you about ironing:
  • Slow and steady wins the race. Take your time with it.
  • You almost never will need full steam. Set it halfway and you should be fine.
  • Keep your heat at a moderate level. Most newer irons get plenty hot at setting 4, hot enough to iron 90% of what's out there without scorching.
  • IF you use starch, let it settle into the clothing for about 5-10 minutes before you start ironing, otherwise it will stain the bottom of the iron and flake onto the clothes.
  • Gently tug one side of the clothing while you iron. It'll help get the wrinkles out easier.
  • Before starting, lay the clothing as flat as you can and smooth it out with your hand. It'll make things easier for the iron.
  • Use tap water. Don't use bottled water. (hard lesson learned)
  • Clean the iron frequently, at least once a week if possible. Newer irons have a cleaning function that decalcifies the iron. If you don't do this the steam holes will get clogged quickly.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:05 AM

Thank you for you're help! All good ideas and I will do as you say. I can't ask for anyone better to advise me then a master!! Much appreciated!

Old 08-02-2008, 07:35 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I wonder if you got a lemon. I have had a Rowenta for 14 years and have never experienced these issues. I LOVE mine and after years of having a cheep one--and then using cheep ones at hotels, I am greatfull I bought a nice iron. Now, however, most of my ironing gets sent to the dry cleaner because I just don't have the time or desire to do it any longer.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:09 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times
I have a fairly cheap Black and Decker "Quick and Easy" 480 with an auto off feature that has worked just fine for me for quite some time. I always thought about upgrading to a Rowenta, but after reading this thread, I think I'll stick with my iron a while longer.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:58 AM

786 posts, read 3,925,153 times
Stop ironing - use Downy wrinkle releaser. You just spray it on your clean clothes and the wrinkles come right out. It is the best.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:11 AM

Really?? Do you spray it on them while they are wet or when they are dry? Now that sounds like a miracle to me. Does it even work on cotton? I'm going to check this out! Thanks.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House