Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 12:24 PM

170 posts, read 345,925 times

Advertisements

Last winter we froze...lot of heat escaping through vented chimney insert, have gas logs. So gas bill was huge. House cold (poor insulation, any contractors out there?). I'd like to trash the gas logs and put in a pot belly stove or electric heater or something instead. New to me. Any suggestions? Want to prep during off season.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 12:32 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingBackEast View Post
Last winter we froze...lot of heat escaping through vented chimney insert, have gas logs. So gas bill was huge. House cold (poor insulation, any contractors out there?). I'd like to trash the gas logs and put in a pot belly stove or electric heater or something instead. New to me. Any suggestions? Want to prep during off season.
Thanks!
Can you just install a blower w/ your gas logs? Or are you trying to get away from gas all together?

Old 08-04-2008, 12:40 PM

170 posts, read 345,925 times
sure would like to get away from gas. Would the blower stop the vent from pulling the heat out?

Old 08-04-2008, 03:37 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
I installed a NG fired fire place insert in one of our fireplaces. We had the builder installed fireplaces that are just for looks, and provide no heat at all. I believe they are rated at 5% efficiency. They actually take more heat out of the room than they put back in. Your gas lof unit will never heat the house, unless you set fire to the house, you need an insert..!
We bought a fireplace insert, and had it installed just last month, so I have no actual results yet, but it is rated at 90% efficiency. We have a large home with two FA units, and it costs a fortune to keep the house warm. I keep the heat set down to around 60 in the winter time, and turn it off altogether at night. I sleep in long underwear and flannel PJ's. In answer to your next question, yes, I'm the cheapest SOB that ever walked the planet..!
With my new insert, I expect to heat the center of the house to at least 75 degrees, and spend far less than the two FA units cost to run. The FA units will be used as secondary units, just to provide any needed heat to the rooms at the far ends of the house.
The unit I purchased puts out 40K BTU's, and has two blowers to blast the heat into the room. It is a sealed unit that works with a concentric chimney vent pipe. that is, one smaller pipe inside a larger pipe, so it draws fresh combustion air in one pipe, and exhausts hot air out the other. Therefore it has no detrimental affect on the inside air.
I live in the Hi desert of So Calif, where we get temp extremes from 17 in the winter, to 117 in summer, so it will be a few months before we can test it, but having done much research on it, I expect it to do a super job.
The same unit I bought is also available in a self standing unit, if you choose not to use the fireplace. It can also be purchased to use with wood, wood pellets, propane, oil, just about anything you might want, depending on what is available in your area. We chose NG because cleaning fireplaces and hauling wood isn't my idea of fun. Wood is more romantic, but after chopping and hauling a few loads of wood, the romance is gone..!
We purchased a Mendota - America's Luxury Fireplace | Gas Fireplaces, Inserts and Stoves , but there are other good brands. We went with this brand because they produced the larged unit I could find.
I have done much research on the subject before I put down my money, sio if you have questions, I can either answer them, or point you in the right direction.
If you live in the cold country, you must have a near by fireplace store....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House