Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:34 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,639 times

Advertisements

Hi, experts!

I just purchased a home w/ an ancient (25 yrs) heat pump. It's already living on borrowed time. Is it worth purchasing a maintenance contract w/ a local HVAC company? Even w/ a new heat pump - are those programs worth it? I'm a first time home owner, admittedly naive to many maintenance issues. Input would be good.

Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 06:00 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Ummmm...not on that old of a system. Spray the coils outside off with the hose and change the filter and start saving wuickly for another system.....a complete system....don't forget to account for the higher effciency of a new system when figuring on if it's worth it or not.

Yes maintenance contracts are worth the money. Make sure they spell out exactly what's included in the contract and make sure it covers labor....that labor is usually $100+/hr

Old 08-08-2008, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the input. I do have $$ put aside for a new one -- any idea how much it would run? I live in NC, and it's a tiny house (784 sq feet) so only need one unit. A friend said about $5000 -- does that sound right?

Old 08-08-2008, 06:58 PM

I can't say for specific companies have different pricing.

Do you already have central duct system?

Old 08-08-2008, 07:17 PM

Not quite sure what that is, so I can't say for sure. I have floor vents in every room, sometimes 2. Air return is in the hallway. Heat pump is HUGE and on the shady side of the house.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:20 PM

Sounds like duct work is central and underneath the house.

With that sq ft. don't go crazy big here in NC unless you have no insulation....you will probably be looking for the smallest available.

Do your research and look for good long standing contractors....after all if your not going to school for HVAC chances are you are going to need them again.

I would plan now and get the best effciency you feel fits your budget.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
It depends on where you live. HVAC work isn't near that expensive where I live and there are tons of certified people.No problem getting service at a reasonable rate.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:20 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
$5k for your sq ft is way too high. I would know off a couple grand on that.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:12 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Our maintenance contract is $11.95 a month..chump change..and it does save when I need a part replaced, etc. They clean and tweek the system for free once a year.
If I were you I'd ask the company what will save you in any given scenario. What if, with ongoing maintenance, your unit will hang in for another 10 yrs? How would the maintenance agreement save you if you decide to replace the unit?
It sounds as if you have a big old dinosaur of a unit, though. You'd probably save a bunch on electricity if you got a modern one. My feeling is that $5000. is way more than you'd need to pay for such a wee house.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:49 AM

None of us are there. I wouldn't expect anything but what you have in your budget. Your bids will come in really low all the way up to really high. I can promise you in HVAC price only shows you what the company needs to stay in business and make a profit. It's way more important to look at the contractor and find a really good one that you trust and knows how to work on the units.....what good is the best a/c in the world if the contractor is not knowledgeable. I would start getting bids now make it a 6 month to a year out decision. You can get some ideas from having contractors come out give you quotes....then you can find something like an HVAC forum or ask here what different things you need to accurately make a decision.

It's really hard to put a price on anything....what if the ducts are falling apart and need work...that alone can be a large sum of $.

best to do it and do it right the first time....although I can't tell you exactly what's right for you because that's your decision it's best not to be to picky about prices even though we all tend to be....the person who will be working on your system or company who is working on your system can make it the best exp. of your life or the worst.

How to select a contractor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House