Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:00 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
To my knowledge there is no guarantee of water quality when a person drills a new well. The same no guarantee applies as to finding any water.

I've seen many dug wells pass Coliform bacteria tests. And as I am sure, you know that a dug well can not be grouted, so why bring it up when this and many dug wells are still used everyday?

Chlorine is only one choice, and possibly not the best but certainly not the only choice, out of many disinfectants. Others are ozone, peroxide, UV lights etc.. Ceramic cartridge filters are a POU (point if use) choice. The list does not include RO. Most come with a caution against installing them on water of unknown microbiological content, the same as carbon filters.
Please provide documentation of a dug well passing the bacteria test. Link please, not I have seen.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:21 PM

286 posts, read 1,481,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
If that well hasn't been used in 2 years it will need some serious purging and cleaning before use.

It should also be inspected to make sure the walls and top are solid and sealed. You also need to make sure that the surface around the well-head is sloped away to assist in preventing surface water contamination. All in all, you might be better off with a new well.
To my knowledge none of that is required anywhere but why would purging and cleaning etc. be required? Why wouldn't shocking of the well and household plumbing be sufficient.

I really disagree with drilling a new well simply because this one is a dug well and/or has a bacteria contamination. I really think the OP only wants a bacteria test before using the water. And if there is a problem with the water quality, there are a number of ways to successfulkly treat the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
There is no "kit" that can test for harmful bacterial contamination. Bacterial tests must be conducted by a laboratory who can do the proper culture and count in the approved method.
There are a number of accurate Coliform/e-coli at home tests kits. The same kit materials are used by labs etc.. The colony count petri dish method is not the only type of test, presence/absent type tests have been approved for at least 10 years, they are used in the home test kits.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker
Those methods can disinfect water...but not the well itself, i.e. casing, related equipment. The other problem w/ those methods is that the average person will be unable to measure or tell if they are getting adequate disinfection. There are also the costs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
100% correct!!!!
Really? Then what are the tests we've been talking about used for?

I've shocked a few hundred contaminated wells, some of which was done under FHA/VA or state regs. and most follow up tests showed no continuing contamination although some failed and required POE (point of entry) treatment equipment including those types I've mention previously. And follow up testing was required; I had one failure and another shocking of the galvanized household plumbing was done and with follow up testing it passed.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
We have to provide water for the the intended use. This means potable water. 100% bacteria free.
But you don't disagree that there are no guarantees or water quality or even finding water, so I guess you're saying there is some regulation in MI that pushes you into using/selling/installing water treatment equipment. Am I correct?

Can you guide me to the MI State well driller etc. regulations requiring that?

Old 08-18-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
But you don't disagree that there are no guarantees or water quality or even finding water, so I guess you're saying there is some regulation in MI that pushes you into using/selling/installing water treatment equipment. Am I correct?

Hummmm.......I would think as much as you are an expert, you could find this information....I'll wait.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Please provide documentation of a dug well passing the bacteria test. Link please, not I have seen.
LOL.... that's like me saying: Please provide documentation of no dug well passing a coliform, e-coli or fecal coliform bacteria test.

BTW, I used to average 18 water tests per day 5 days a week. All on various types of wells of all ages. They were all done personally by me and all included a coliform bacteria test. That was when I worked under FHA/VA regs. for a two year period. I was actually approved those agencies to collect the samples and do the tests and the reports. Over 18 of the last 21+ years I did thousands of bacteria tests.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
LOL.... that's like me saying: Please provide documentation of no dug well passing a coliform, e-coli or fecal coliform bacteria test.

BTW, I used to average 18 water tests per day 5 days a week. All on various types of wells of all ages. They were all done personally by me and all included a coliform bacteria test. That was when I worked under FHA/VA regs. for a two year period. I was actually approved those agencies to collect the samples and do the tests and the reports. Over 18 of the last 21+ years I did thousands of bacteria tests.
Then documentation will be easy to provide. Still waiting.........

Old 08-18-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Hummmm.......I would think as much as you are an expert, you could find this information....I'll wait.
And if you could produce it, I'm sure you would.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Oh but, I did. Read the link I provided. BTW, Michigan heath departments will not write a permit for a dug well. A few crock wells are aloud in some areas.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:57 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:

Quote:
I'm with Driller on this one. I see lots of self-righteous preening here, but little real substance. I am by no means an expert on well drilling or regulations and it took me all of 30 seconds and 2 mouse clicks to find the link to the Michigan well regulations. This is all at almost 3 in the morning after a 22 hour day for me. I would think if you are really so good it should take half that time.

Quote:
Heck I could produce that information now... but I won't. Look it up yourself expert.

Have to also agree that if you have done so many tests over the years on dug wells, you should be able to produce at least one clear result in a matter of minutes. I am willing to bet that the reply will be like a fart to a constipated person; noise and hot air, but no substance behind it to clear the matter up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House