Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 03:42 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,357,968 times

Advertisements

We have a family in my neighborhood that sleeps with their windows open at night, or at least they did until someone came in through one of those open windows and robbed them.

We have some teenagers that break into peoples cars. I was made aware of this pretty early after we moved here. In my mind if your going to break into a car, its only a small jump to thinking they can get away with breaking into someone's house.

One thing I am really pleased about is we have a couple officers who leave their cruisers parked out front when they aren't on duty.

We have also had a peeping tom in the neighborhood. While I think it might be someone peeping on this ONE family, its still upsetting. This particular family has had a repeated occurence for them over a period of a year and a half. They have two teenagers, one of them a very pretty teenage girl. She has been in therapy she has been so upset about it. The family has actually walked up on this person as they look in through the smallest crack in a curtain, or standing in the shadows on the front lawn.

According to the police, this is the kind of crime that people escalate from. I am very careful in light of this problem. Also as a result of this, the police do drive throughs at night with their alley lights on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 03:52 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,526,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
We have a family in my neighborhood that sleeps with their windows open at night,..
I know lots of people that do this... no better sleep than that fresh air blowing thru the room.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:11 PM

217 posts, read 750,739 times
I live in PGC, MD. The offspring of the residents in the area are the perpetrators of most B&E, car theft and other robberies. It's a fact of life and if they are ever apprehended you can find out where they came from - Your neighborhood!
It's against the law to own a pit bull for home defense but the hoodlums all run around with them. That's like abolishing the second amendment - the everyday joe gets shafted while the crooks all run around with any firearm they want.

Before the knee jerk reaction to pit bulls takes place - be aware that a dog is a dog. I am speaking of one of the most human friendly breeds. They are quite intelligent and can be trained to do anything - how about diving to the bottom of a pool to retrieve a set of car key or going out to get your newspaper? All while being your best friend for his life. A real pet owner isn't looking to go out and make his dog fight - something that need be realized by society as a whole. If that were the case you would hear of Chihuahua, Yorkie, Jack Russel or Labrador retriever fighting rings. Duhh...gee, I wonder why you never do?

Again, a dog is a dog is a dog.

What does that say about the hoodlum teens in PGC? They are more dangerous than pit bulls.

So, yeah, I lock everything, everything and everything with more than one lock if possible.

In the 1960s my grandmother used to leave the key in her 1956 Chevy at all times. We live in a completely different America than what existed just 40-50 years ago. It is all up for grabs in the criminal mind and they get away with it.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:15 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,526,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfister View Post
Again, a dog is a dog is a dog.

What does that say about the hoodlum teens in PGC? They are more dangerous than pit bulls.
If a dog is a dog is a dog then a kid is a kid is a kid... on the other hand, if a certain group of kids can be hoodlums, then certain groups of dogs can be hoodlums...

Old 02-19-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
I know lots of people that do this... no better sleep than that fresh air blowing thru the room.
Well they thought it was nice as well, until they found someone had broken into their home. Instead of stealing their belongings, they could very well have raped their 10 year old daughter instead.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:47 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,648,197 times
have a 17 lb watch dog, no money, not much to steal, unless the TV-then the TV will
self destruct in Feb of 2009! The dog, the groom, pet mets etc.! then to take
my analog t.v to where all the old go? even if i do lock, not much to steal, and anyone really wants the old tv can just jimmy the lock! or call, and free!

Old 02-19-2008, 06:50 PM

392 posts, read 1,855,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
I would think most do in my neighborhood since A/C is not common here. Hot days and cool ocean breezes at night to cool things off.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:55 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,947,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
I would think most do in my neighborhood since A/C is not common here. Hot days and cool ocean breezes at night to cool things off.
Anybody here remember Richard Ramirez? He was a serial killer here in CA in the 1980's who sometimes came into people's homes through open windows while they were sleeping.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Anybody here remember Richard Ramirez? He was a serial killer here in CA in the 1980's who sometimes came into people's homes through open windows while they were sleeping.
OH, I remember that freak.

We have also had several cases where little girls were literally snatched from their beds and later raped and murdered.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:20 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,227,885 times
Wow, I came into this thread because the whole question "Do you lock your doors?" seemed to me to deserve the response "well duh...!!"

Of course it does seem to depend where you live. I lock my doors when I'm in the house, even when I'm downstairs, and also if I go into the garden for any length of time. Several years ago I was in the garden and my then-partner was upstairs and someone came in and stole our wallets. It's sad that so many of us have to live like this but once bitten twice shy I suppose.. Plus your home insurance is invalid if you leave free access and get anything stolen.

It must be lovely to be able to leave doors and windows open, especially in hot weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House