Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 04:18 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,620,439 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to get some feedback here this morning. We are having a moving sale all weekend and I have no idea how to price things. Can anyone give my any guidance with this? Furniture, toys, clothes...no clue.

Last edited by jeannie216; 08-15-2008 at 04:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 04:57 AM

38 posts, read 192,550 times
Get an agent,, He knows better,, if you can't, well, i guess it depends on how old your stuffs are, can the buyers still use it properly? or will cost something for repairs? there are lots of things to consider.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:03 AM

good idea. Okay, here is an example. Say you have a $50.00 lamp, a few years old for sale. Is it reasonable to ask for $25.00? Too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiov View Post
Get an agent,, He knows better,, if you can't, well, i guess it depends on how old your stuffs are, can the buyers still use it properly? or will cost something for repairs? there are lots of things to consider.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:08 AM

whenever i sell one of my things,, i always give it half the price of what it cost me.. but still depends on the item,, if i maintained it's brand new look well, i cut 25% off the price.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiov View Post
whenever i sell one of my things,, i always give it half the price of what it cost me.. but still depends on the item,, if i maintained it's brand new look well, i cut 25% off the price.
that helps, thank you. One more question if you don't mind. I have a set of 8 Lenox handpainted wine classes new in the box. What do you think?

Old 08-15-2008, 05:14 AM

One more thing, if you have an authentic item, and decided to sell it,, it's price depends on how old your item is,, the older the higher you get. Happy selling..

Old 08-15-2008, 05:16 AM

Give it a 100%.... or give it a 3-5% discount...

Old 08-15-2008, 05:26 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
good idea. Okay, here is an example. Say you have a $50.00 lamp, a few years old for sale. Is it reasonable to ask for $25.00? Too much?
Depends on how badly you want to sell the items- if you're OK with packing up whatever's left at the end of the weekend and moving it, price high and hope for the best. If you want to get rid of the stuff, price it much lower than 1/2 price- people are always looking for real deals at yard sales.

When we were moving, my wife had a yard sale about 4 months before the move, and she priced everything high. Her rationale was "I don't want to give it away". She ended up making about $20. A few months later, we put out the same stuff, and I did the pricing- we made around $200, and got rid of tons of stuff that we really didn't need and now didn't have to move.

While it'd be nice to sell the stuff for top dollar, you've really got to ask yourself "regardless of what I paid for it, I'm looking to sell it, so I obviously don't need it. So, better to sell it cheaply to someone who needs/wants it, or better to have it sit around collecting dust in the new house????".

Old 08-15-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
"regardless of what I paid for it, I'm looking to sell it, so I obviously don't need it. So, better to sell it cheaply to someone who needs/wants it, or better to have it sit around collecting dust in the new house????".
Great thoughts here Bob. I guess girls are more sentimental.. but i will still stick to mine, I mean I will try to sell it with the price i really want, and if it doesn't work then i'll do your move.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:11 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
First only individually price things that cost at least $20 to begin with. Everything else price in common price points.

I've found that anything that is brand new can be often sold for half what the original price was, but also that some things simply won't go for that high.

Things that are basically in good shape, but not new still 75% off the original price is usually a good starting point.

Things that are no longer new or not expensive to begin with are best done by common price points. Like...all coffee mugs or paperback books for .50....stuffed animals or hard back books for $1....blankets or towel sets $2...etc.

Things that you think could bring a good price you need to do a little bit of research. Check Ebay or Craigslist to see if you find the same things there offered and at what prices. An example would be a Little Tikes yard toy. Those you can often get a really good price on even if they are a number of years old. I bought a toddler climber 5 years ago from a yard sale for $10 and could sell it for the same price today easily even though it's many years old.

The more prep you put into it the more money you will make. However the lower you price things the more you will get rid of. The better organized and displayed you have it the more people will stop and the more you will make and get rid of!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House