Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:33 PM

119 posts, read 865,400 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have had my house in Chepachet, RI (two bed, two bath, w/office) up for sale for three months and am thinking that the pooper in the front yard may be the problem for lack of interest.

Supposedly it is a state of the art high tech pooper. It had to be more than 50 feet from my well, and there you have it, right in the front yard. It doesn't bother me, and I am sure Cousin Eddie would love it.

Does anyone have any ideas to make it less noticeable. I am not too fond of the bushes surrounding it.

Any advice would be appreciated as I have this house listed below cost and am not sure what to do. I was even thinking of renting it out as a last resort.

Thank you.

Last edited by Chris M; 09-17-2008 at 06:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 09:46 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
You're saying its a septic system? It has a lot of gravel over it- does it have to be open to the air? Aren't most septic systems less obvious????

If you can't change it, about all you can do is landscape around it or maybe over it? Your current plantings are nice but don't do much to disguise the center part. What about a big raised deck surrounded by some ornamental trees? Or if that's too expensive, a raised platform with dirt in it to make a raised planting bed for flowers or a vegetable garden? I'm flying blind here but hope this helps....

Old 08-16-2008, 10:20 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
How about trellises surrounding it with nice vines climbing them? Of course, you'd likely need to leave a way for access, but maybe a trellis door?

Old 08-16-2008, 10:44 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
Actually, the raised deck someone suggested would be easy to improvise, too. Just put boards over the existing frame.

The bushes around the perimeter draw more attention to it. Make it look planned instead of like an empty space surrounded by bushes. Maybe put a fountain, a bench and some potted plants.... You could easily make it look like a garden area.

I can see a trellis there too. It would make it look inviting.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the ideas.

Hollytree, I was trying to be funny with my reference to Cousin Eddie in Christmas Vacation. Yes, it is a self-contained septic system. The holding tank is under the upper structure and the lower part is the drainage field. It had to be constructed like this due to the soil's lack of drainage. The liquid is filtered and sent out to the contained drainage bed to evaporate.

Thanks again.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:38 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
The bushes around it draw attention to it. I'd make it a deck and add more bushes and gardens around the property. That way you would see several areas of bushes or seating, garden areas of flowers and bushes. make it look like just one area of garden that is part of many areas.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:53 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Ah.....it sounds like you have bad soil that will not leach liquid. So what is required is to raise the leach field using loose gravel and sand. The tank is separate and likely not under that raised bed.

You can not plant anything that has hard roots near that bed. Small bushes are ok. If a tree's roots were any place close to that bed then during any dry spells those roots will seek out that leach field for a drink. Those roots will break those perforated PVC pipes and then you are in for some trouble.

Most of these ideas are good but do not put any wood root trees near it.

It is in the damndest place I will say.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:05 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
You could always put a few tombstones in the gravel area to disguise it...

Too bad the house doesn't look oriental. The gravel could be topped to look like a Japanese rock garden. The angle it is at and the position makes a lot of possibilities impractical.

I think you'll need a pro landscape architect to get you out of this one. I'm thinking renovation of the drive, some boxwood hedges, and specimen plants to distract attention away from your pooper.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:58 PM

Thanks again for all the responses. I plan to remove the bulky looking trees around it. Maybe little pines would look nice. I could lay some lumber across the top and put my grill up there. But the septic isn't as disturbing as some of the local yocal's yards.

You should see the guy at the end of the street whose junk car from the 50s or 60s is parked halfway into his garage and the garage door with broken windows is resting on the roof.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:14 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,752,493 times
I like the idea of a deck, although you might need to check codes. I don't know about that kind of septic system, but I know around here, you can't put anything permanent within 10 feet of a well or over the footprint of the septic tank. And a deck counts as permanent. But thats Maryland for ya LOL

The rock garden idea sounds neat, too. Can you walk on this area? Could you just stage it like a patio as is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
You should see the guy at the end of the street whose junk car from the 50s or 60s is parked halfway into his garage and the garage door with broken windows is resting on the roof.
Sadly, this may be something keeping people away and there isn't anything you can do about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House