U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 08:27 AM

2,310 posts, read 1,788,014 times

Advertisements

I am having several contractors come out for estimates on our master bath remodel...what questions should I ask?

I don't want things moved around...I just want a new shower (I suspect we are starting to get mold underneath and want to nip it now than wait and have it be a real problem), new tile in shower, around bathtub (new bathtub as well), tile on the floor (we have vynil or something now), new vanity, and new light fixtures. So it is all new, but everything will be in the same place. (Our lighting is weird now...it is recessed inside a soffit looking thing...I feel this really dates the home)
I am in northern virginia. What price tag do you think I should expect? Nothing crazy for the tile...probably ceramic or porc or something with one or two decorative strips...The vanity is very long, so I am expecting to pay a $1K or so...it is 108" long...I guess 3 36" cabinets. I don't want granite, but I don't want the cheap looking marble either...I am thinking a nice solid surface...
And...I watch Holmes on Homes and he said something about backerboard for under the tiles instead of just drywall...do I have to ask for this or is this standard?
I just want to be informed and know a bit ahead of time so they can't take advantage of me. I have only called Better Business places...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 08:43 AM

1,922 posts, read 4,436,955 times
As you suspect mold underneath, make sure they can remediate that. If they are pouring concrete on top of shower pan make sure they stress test it plenty for leaks, but if they are licensed bonded and insured you should be ok. Definitely ask for and check references if you are paying a good amount.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:16 AM

2,269 posts, read 5,429,676 times
I would definitley ask for references. We did ours about 2 years ago. Took everything to the studs. I also did some homework before having contractors come out so I knew some questions to ask and some specifics that I wanted done. Some things you may or may not have thought about....

Are you keeping anything in your bath - and I mean anything. Make sure you clarify with your contractor. Things to think about...are you keeping the existing door? Windows? Accessories? What about any heating? We replaced our baseboard heater with a new one - thats something that the contractor may or may not think about. I removed our door before the remodel to make sure it didn't get all dinged up.

What do they do to protect your home? Will they lay down drop cloths? Put up plastic while they are working to keep the dust and mess down?

Will they get a dumpster for demo or do you have to?

Do they do it all....plumbing, tiling, electrical, etc or will you be left to paint or install light fixtures?

Yes to backerboard, they should know that, but it doesn't hurt to ask. We did backerboard behind our tile and all other surfaces were done in greenboard.

Will they help you select finishes?? Not all vanities, tile, toilets and tubs are made equally and if you don't do some leg work you'll end up going with what the contractor wants and you may not neccessarily be happy.

Do they have a warranty on their work?

I'm not sure what prices may be in VA. We paid (overpaid) for ours, but the place we used came highly recommended, we were able to work with a designer and we went mid to upper level on most of the materials we chose - we paid $20K for a modest bath. They did an excellent job for us.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:58 PM

2,310 posts, read 1,788,014 times
thanks
we are not taking everything to the studs...just want to replace the vinyl flooring with ceramic, new vanity, new countertop, new light fixture, new bathtub and some tile around the bathtub. I don't think anything should be major unless they find mold.
Oh, and I don't want cheap stuff, but a middle of the road remodel. I am hoping not to spend more than $10K...is that even a reasonable amount? I would expect to spend $30K on a kitchen, but a bath seems less to me as there are not a lot of cabinets...just the vanity

Old 08-30-2008, 07:05 PM

431 posts, read 1,129,863 times
I'll give you this advice, go buy everything you want to be changed including tiles, and then hire the contractor for the rest of the job. Sometimes they charge you for time and transportation.
You could save money this way. If you have mold, then take off the walls. While there is treatment for mold, this is not permanent and can come back and force you to spend more money.

Since you take all the appliances out, ask the contractor to install wall to wall membrane, with 4-6 inches to spare up the wall on all sides.
http://humphreyunlimited.com/photos/...brane_690w.jpg
This prevents the water to seep into the subfloor.
If the floor is plywood then you need to add 2 inch concrete layer over the membrane. A sturdy floor prevents the tile from breaking easy.
Tiles on a plywood floor, a major NO-NO.

Backer board is the best you can have in a bathroom. If you can put it all over, then do it.

Do nothing without a signed contract, certified. Specify in the contract a date for completion. If not, they can drag the job to whenever. Ask the contractor for proof of insurance.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:39 PM

12 posts, read 62,149 times
ok you don't say your age and how long you will stay in the home. If you plan to stay in the home in to your 50+ age range then change the bathroom door to a wider door or a pocket door. Do a mid to high end shower with a seat. Forget the tile in the shower and look at solid surface products great high end look with less maintenance. You can get it made with its own base solveing future water and mold problems. Change the ceiling fan to a new 110 cfm silent model, this will also help with mold problems. You can also get the solid surface product for the vanity top. Consider a custom made vanity if you need some more storage space. You said it was a long vanity so use double sinks and mirrors and remove the sofit and rewire for new lights. expect to spend your 10K or just a little more for good work. Check out my web site for links to solid surface products. Welcome Enjoy your project and if I can answer any questions as you proceed drop me an e-mail.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:59 PM

10,428 posts, read 47,168,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clark View Post
ok you don't say your age and how long you will stay in the home. If you plan to stay in the home in to your 50+ age range then change the bathroom door to a wider door or a pocket door. Do a mid to high end shower with a seat. Forget the tile in the shower and look at solid surface products great high end look with less maintenance. You can get it made with its own base solveing future water and mold problems. Change the ceiling fan to a new 110 cfm silent model, this will also help with mold problems. You can also get the solid surface product for the vanity top. Consider a custom made vanity if you need some more storage space. You said it was a long vanity so use double sinks and mirrors and remove the sofit and rewire for new lights. expect to spend your 10K or just a little more for good work. Check out my web site for links to solid surface products. Welcome Enjoy your project and if I can answer any questions as you proceed drop me an e-mail.
David welcome to CD but you are responding to posts so old they are growing fur. Some posters have long since passed away, some have stopped particapating in this forum. You are also advertising which is against policy here and will get you canned faster then Obama can ruin the USA.

If you were not as nice and polite as you are I would have hit the red panic button and say bye bye to you.

Have fun and your knowledge is welcome but mention your business here and..............................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House