Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following activities would bother you, if your next-door neighbor was to do them?
Hang clothes outside 37 12.33%
Leave kid's toys outside 49 16.33%
Work on trucks / cars in the open 51 17.00%
Plant a vegetable garden in plain view 18 6.00%
Plant a vegetable garden out of plain view, but within your view 7 2.33%
Change their shades to an unconventional color 20 6.67%
Change their house color to an unconventional color 103 34.33%
Install lawn ornaments 50 16.67%
Install a large roof-top antenna 58 19.33%
Install a ham radio antenna tower (50 - 70' tall) 129 43.00%
Leave a car or RV parked outside 49 16.33%
Leave a boat parked outside 66 22.00%
Leave a non-running car in their yard, out of plain view 71 23.67%
Leave a non-running car in their yard, within plain view 181 60.33%
Regularly run a loud car audio system with heavy bass 245 81.67%
Run a small cafe from their house 159 53.00%
Shoot off rifles / guns for target practice during daytime hours 217 72.33%
Shoot off rifles / guns for target practice at night 250 83.33%
Install political protest signs in plain street view 79 26.33%
Put up a flag in plain street view 9 3.00%
Drink on their front porch 30 10.00%
Smoke cigarettes on their front porch 39 13.00%
Smoke weed on their front porch 153 51.00%
Hang clothes outside 37 12.33%
Have a garage sale 15 5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 12:00 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

American pride does not rest on a piece of cloth. If it did, we'd be in a lot more trouble than we are right now, and the country wouldn't have lasted for as long as it has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 12:13 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Loud car radios
Non running vehicle within view..out of view wouldn't bother me at all
shoot off rifles day or night
Ham radio tower

Other then that there is nothing on that list that would make me stress
had to laugh at the unconventional paint color....for 25 years our house butted up against 30 acres of woods....then came the tree clearing to build a neighborhood of McMansions...I pleaded with hubbie to let me paint the side of the house that would face that neighborhood day glo purple with a big peace sign and maybe a profile of Hendrix or Morrison...dam the man would not listen ,,,lol

Old 09-03-2008, 12:17 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
You left out placing garbage cans/recycle boxes outside within sight
Unless they're inside, they're within sight. No way in hell am I keeping my garbage cans inside.

njkate, if I were your neighbor, I would have joined in on the paint caper! A few years ago, I changed the trim color on my house from mint green to forest green. Unfortunately, the paint chips were way off and I got a lime green instead, and decided to keep it. I got so many compliments from my neighbors! Bright color is not a bad thing.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:38 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Unless they're inside, they're within sight. No way in hell am I keeping my garbage cans inside.

njkate, if I were your neighbor, I would have joined in on the paint caper! A few years ago, I changed the trim color on my house from mint green to forest green. Unfortunately, the paint chips were way off and I got a lime green instead, and decided to keep it. I got so many compliments from my neighbors! Bright color is not a bad thing.
HAha..lol....hey the nosy neighbor gets my knickers in a twist as well
One of the new McMansion owners had the freaking nerve to ask me one day why on occasion there is a police car in my driveway??? Were my hubbie & I having issues..I swear I wanted to coldcock her one..just glared at her and said Are you like for real???

I'm sure the nosy beoatch knows by now my son is a cop in town and he can stop at my house for dinner breaks etc

Old 09-03-2008, 02:13 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
I am so glad my neighbors are rabbits, deer, birds, goundmoles.....

Old 09-03-2008, 02:16 PM

126 posts, read 299,700 times
Another thing that really bugs me is my surrounding neighbors LOUD music(mostly Tejano,or rap).However I do understand 1wanting 2 enjoy themselves after a hard days work,or at a fam. get together,B-day(we get alot of those),etc.,so I never say a word&wouldn't even think of calling the police,unless it's 2am or later in the am hrs.I just wish they'de give us fair treatment.Seems like everytime we crank up our guitars(outdoors) a cop car drives down our street.Yet they have live(loud)bands play quite often.?

Old 09-03-2008, 02:22 PM

730 posts, read 2,888,232 times
I live in a city and my house is only about 5 ft away from my neighbors. Every few days or so when I am at my kitchen sink I look out the window and see a dirty gross towel hanging out of their window, directly across from mine. It will stay there for a few days then disappear. A few days later, it's back again.

I couldn't figure out why they would dry a towel outside on the side of a dirty city house.

I'm putting curtains up this weekend.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:41 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
I live on a state highway, and there is a house down the street (around the bend) that has a constant garage sale going, sign says "tag sale open" There is obviously more stuff for sale there than anyone can possibly own, it is being carted in by someone with a trailer. It annoys the hell out of me, and I've told my husband that I will call the police to see if there is a bylaw in our town. He says I'm being mean, but I am so sick of driving around the bend in the road and finding cars all over the place, illegally parked on a road where cars are going 50mph.....
plus it looks trashy in my opinion for someone to have a tag sale every friday, saturday and sunday! Argh!!

Believe me, I've no problem checking out my neighbor's tag sales, but enough is enough!
Why does it bother you so much?

I know somebody who does stuff like that (he's doing it now, and did it last year). Puts a bunch of stuff outside and waits for people to take it.

Personally, I think huge parking lots everywhere, areas with no sidewalks, and cookie-cutter subdivisions are uglier.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:35 AM

764 posts, read 2,549,250 times
God, I am so glad I don't live in a development! We are fortunate to have 6 acres in what used to be a rural area, but has rapidly built up into an upscale area. Fields that were once full of cows and manure are now being turned into lush landscaping for the upper middle class and their McMansions. They live with rigid HOA rules that tell them how long they can leave their garage door open and what type of fencing to install and it just KILLS them that they can see my house, have to drive by it and have absolutely zero control over me!!! LOL!

I especially love that my back field abuts one subdivision and they have a habit of throwing sticks and trash over my fence. We've had words with them and they've all cleaned up their acts over the past few months, but it's a serious thorn in their side that they have nowhere to take yard debris except across the freaking county to one particular landfill and their HOA won't allow burning. They like to gather and gawk when hubby and I light up our burn pit every now and then. We have a lot of yard waste and it's perfectly legal to burn out in the county if you're not in an HOA.

Oh, they don't like that I don't keep my field mowed, either. The HOA has very strict rules on lawn height and my field is very unsightly to them. Too bad! I love that my overgrown field blocks my view of their overcrowded lots and I still have plenty of yard I keep mowed around my house so it looks nice.

As for the items on the list, obviously there should be no shooting of firearms in a heavily populated area, but the only areas I checked were the target practice at night because most of us sleep at night and the loud noises from a stereo/boombox 'cause that's just obnoxious and invasive! Everything else is fair game on privately owned property as it darn well should be.

My personal offenses are: a garden in plain view, kid toys left out, work on cars in the open ( not daily, but when I need to change oil or something), camper parked outside, shoot firearms for target practice during the day (HOA people HATE this one), flag in plain view, drink in front (actually, I get with non-HOA neighbors across the street and we hang out with a glass of wine while all our kids play together after dinner - it's great!) and have a garage sale once a year or so. If people don't like it, they are free to move far, far away.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:40 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
I voted for both firearms, I dont want people shooting guns around the neighborhood. The rest of it, I do about half of the questions. I have kids toys, sometimes there are clothes hung out, sometimes my radio is loud, sometimes someone is working on a car. There is alot of every day things on the list. My neighbors house is a awful color, some have loud parties sometimes. Garage sales always, drinking, smoking, flags, signs, gardens, its part of life. Oh well, life goes on. The OP must be uptight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House