Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:09 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,162,707 times

Advertisements

Hi folks -
We are in the process of getting a home that is a new construction.The home is already built, and we are going to the design center on Wednesday to pick stuff out.

I am curious to know if basic builds generally come with the walls already painted, or if that is something we will have to pay extra for...

Thanks for any insight you might have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 08:12 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Obviously your mileage might differ, but every new home I have seen was painted. The basic building code covers painting, but builders can work out just about anything they want with potential buyers until it is fully signed off.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:10 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
Usually, you will just get the "builder paint" typically white or off-white that they have just sprayed on. it is a flat paint, gets really dirty etc. You might want to consider having a real paint job done before you move in, if you can afford it. It will make your life easier; of course, if money is an issue, you can usually live with the builder paint for quite a while depending on if you have kids or not!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:25 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
Hi folks -
We are in the process of getting a home that is a new construction.The home is already built, and we are going to the design center on Wednesday to pick stuff out.

I am curious to know if basic builds generally come with the walls already painted, or if that is something we will have to pay extra for...

Thanks for any insight you might have
It really depends on a couple things. One what state you live in and two what builder you use. Generally the entire home is painted in builder white (sometimes beige or one neutral tone). Some builders will let you pick out a paint color for the formal dining room. Most national builders (chain builders) do not include paint choices. Most custom builders do.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:40 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,162,707 times
Great information. Thanks folks

Old 09-09-2008, 07:44 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,443,053 times
Most custom builders normally will let you pick 3 colors of your choice, dark colors they will charge more, added colors are also extra. Track builders may let you choose a color from their 3-4 choices, and yes they will be shades of white or beige. Our custom builders use high quality paint and the others use builders grade. The initial paint job is included in the price.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:51 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
In hindsight, I would suggest waiting for a year or so before painting over the builder's paint. We did just that and when it was time for the one year walk through, they would not fix nail-pops over something you painted, and they will be there. In about a year and a half, the house would have settled enough that nail pops won't be too evident even if they did not appear until after the walk-through.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:08 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
I was just about to write the same thing as bibit...Nail pops. We were told to wait a year to paint as they would come and fix nail pops, but then we would be left with touching up the nice new paint. We waited the year and then painted. I know how exciting it is to get in and have it the way you like it, but I think you will be much better off to wait a year, have them come fix the nail pops, and then paint. Good luck

Old 09-09-2008, 10:33 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,687 times
Default paint

and fwiw..... builders may not paint the garage....one I talked to said it would be $ 900.00 just to put 1 coat on the interior garage walls. I almost lost it!!!

Old 09-09-2008, 11:48 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
Nails popping? I didn't know that there are areas of the U.S. where dry wall installers are still using nails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House