Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 09:14 AM

192 posts, read 437,833 times

Advertisements

Ok, we bought a house with a nice, bright 13*13 dinning room.

Other than put a dinner room table set in and leave it collecting dusk for 7 days/per week, 365 days/per year. Does anyone have any creative ideas on how to acutally using that space for something meaningful.

How's a 7 feet pooltable sounds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 09:19 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,855,535 times
sounds good, it would be easy to change the light for a pool table light too.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:50 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
It wouldn't be the first time I've seen that.
What's the layout of the house? There could be a lot of other ideas- depending on the flow of the house.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:13 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,728,087 times
Default Game room........

Mine is sort of like that. Place for games, do the puzzles, play the cards, dominoes. Rarely actually eat in there. Put in a big TV, play the Wii in there. GF wanted to put up the dart board which has steel darts, nope drew the limit there. Would love to have one of them indoor basketball loops but probably not big enough. Could put some exercise stuff in there. Semi eating place, game room, entertainment place.

Could also turn it into a library or computer room. I like a room for that, usually use a bedroom for that function.

The best dining room I've seen in a while was actually a log cabin. This guy is building a new house. Woman had a one room old log cabin that was on land they were going to start mining coal on. Told the dude he could have it, if he tore it down and moved it before the coal company got there. So he did, piece at a time. Roof was shot anyway, so he wasn't going to reuse that.

Then built all the walls of the cabin into a new house, exactly like it had been in the wild. Interior walls are left like you would see in the old cabin. From the outside once he gets finished you will not have a clue it is there. Very dramatic, walk into what looks is going to be a modern house, huge pass thru opening from the kitchen and you are in an old log cabin for the dining room. Don't know what they will finally do in there, have a bar between two planks, skin animals in one corner, dance hall, the sky is the limit.

Having the bar in there might not be a bad idea. My old pup could run to the fridge but she is dead now.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:33 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhrambull View Post
Ok, we bought a house with a nice, bright 13*13 dinning room.

Other than put a dinner room table set in and leave it collecting dusk for 7 days/per week, 365 days/per year. Does anyone have any creative ideas on how to acutally using that space for something meaningful.

How's a 7 feet pooltable sounds?
I don't believe that would be enough room for a pool table...you would need to use the short sticks. That's funny I am looking forward to this exact room in a new house. I will be putting a buffet and a table, flat screen tv, maybe a sideboard and or a loveseat. The key is comfortable chairs. This room is at the front of the house so it will just look pretty with the buffet lights and nice china showing through the windows.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:40 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,498 times
As we don't need a formal dining area for any time other than Thanksgiving, we turned the dining room into an office. Come Thanksgiving, we'll push all the furniture in the living room out of the way, rent some tables and chairs, buy some tableclothes and have a lovely time.

In the meantime, a previously never used, dust collecting room became the hub of our home business. The kids know they're not allowed in here and so it's the perfect solution for us.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
You can actually get a pool table with a dining table top that can be put over it for when you need a dining room. They are expensive, but cheaper than buying a pool table and a dining table seperately. If they are made right, they make a beautiful dining table. Just make sure it does nto expand or have a joint of any kind in the middle. If it does, it needs to be leakproof. Otherwise you may have spills leak onto your pool table.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:21 PM

192 posts, read 437,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It wouldn't be the first time I've seen that.
What's the layout of the house? There could be a lot of other ideas- depending on the flow of the house.
here is the layout of the study/dinning room area of the house.
The dinning by itself is 13*13.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Document3.pdf (29.1 KB, 349 views)

Old 09-23-2008, 06:49 AM

604 posts, read 4,620,775 times
I've known a lot of people who've done that. I've got a dining room that's useless. Our formal living was made into study with doors. Similiar to yours. My final home will no dining room.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:17 AM

786 posts, read 3,923,847 times
The June 2008 issue of Better Homes & Gardens featured a make-over of a formal dining room into an informal breakfast area with additional casual seating. You can probably get a copy from your local library if you are interested.

I also think the pool table is a good idea. Make the space fit your needs whatever they may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House