Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 11:38 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,243,152 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am having a tough time making a decision on whether to make an offer on this house. It has the best neighborhood, location, and "drive up" of the houses I've seen, very tranquil/quiet cul-de-sac with a nice private backyard.

It's in very good condition as well. This is my first house and I live alone. The only catch is the living room and kitchen layout. The kitchen is a so-called "galley" kitchen and a little dark. The living room is a little on the small side and the layout is a bit awkward. At least I feel it might be. Good staging of the furniture, a rug, and decent custom lighting might help.

I'm hoping to get a few opinions from people who have lived in houses (it's been thirteen years in apartments for me). What do you think of this floorplan for a single person?

Summit Parc Community - D.R.Horton - America's Builder

Thanks for any opinions. Originally I was looking for the most open floorplan I could find, but the benefits of the backyard and peaceful neighborhood and location for this house really make it a strong contender. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 11:46 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,672,075 times
Default Don't see anything wrong with it.....

What do you want? 1800 sq ft / 4 bedrooms for a single person and you want a bigger living room. Are you serious. If anything it is too much house for one person. Oops, I forgot, today, each person wants 6000 sq ft with room for future expansion.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:09 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,334,213 times
This floorplan would not be to my taste as I do not like the layout. Some of the other plans are better and one is just the reverse, I believe, of this one.

Consider what you feel is going to make you happy and comfortable - then think about the resale factor. Master bedrooms, large closets, are important considerations, as well as kitchens, etc.

I think you want to look at as many communities as possible. If this is your first home, do not buy off of a floorplan until you have had a chance to walk through the model and visualize yourself living in that space. Good luck!!

Old 09-19-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
What do you want? 1800 sq ft / 4 bedrooms for a single person and you want a bigger living room. Are you serious. If anything it is too much house for one person. Oops, I forgot, today, each person wants 6000 sq ft with room for future expansion.
Understood. This is among the smallest houses I've looked at, although I agree I'd prefer a wide open three bedroom or even a two bedroom with the same square footage. The extra bedrooms won't be used all that often.

Houses tend to be quite inexpensive in this area I've observed. We've seen brand new construction for $42/square foot (for example). My commute is only a few miles now and I want to keep the same length of commute, so in the area where I'm looking, 1800 is considered relatively small.

The question really concerns the main living space -- the living room and the kitchen -- and its layout. Do they raise any red flags with people who've owned houses with features like these (galley kitchen and smallish living room)?

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2008, 12:11 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,157,730 times
IMO Awfully 'big' house for one...unless you plan to marry and have kids someday, or want the resale...
I personally like galley style kitchens, very step saving. But I don't care for the big wide open floor plan of the living room...I can't 'see' where to put furniture...guess I am more old fashioned and like more walls to anchor it. Another thing I don;t care for is the laundry area away form the bedrooms, where more of the laundry comes from.

But that said, if you like the house and especailly the setting...I think you woudl have a real sense of 'home' when you sand in there looking around, if it IS for you!
Good luck!

Old 09-19-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I think you want to look at as many communities as possible. If this is your first home, do not buy off of a floorplan until you have had a chance to walk through the model and visualize yourself living in that space. Good luck!!
Thanks. I guess I forgot to mention that this is a house that is already built (in 2006), I've already been inside it three times. I didn't want to post the actual listing (with the street address) but I did find the floorplan on the web.

I appreciate the feedback on the floorplan itself!

Old 09-19-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
IMO Awfully 'big' house for one...unless you plan to marry and have kids someday, or want the resale...
I understand. I guess I didn't perceive it as being a big house, really. I would mostly use the living room, kitchen, master bath/bedroom, and sometimes the office, plus the backyard. They don't really make houses for single people (no resale?) so you have to adapt!
Quote:
I personally like galley style kitchens, very step saving. But I don't care for the big wide open floor plan of the living room...I can't 'see' where to put furniture...guess I am more old fashioned and like more walls to anchor it. Another thing I don;t care for is the laundry area away form the bedrooms, where more of the laundry comes from.
Interesting points! I think not seeing where to put the furniture/no anchor points is the crux of the matter. I'll have to think about it. This is where I thought maybe a rug would help define it.
Quote:
But that said, if you like the house and especailly the setting...I think you woudl have a real sense of 'home' when you sand in there looking around, if it IS for you!
Good luck!
This makes sense too. While waiting for the realtor outside this house one day, I felt that the neighborhood itself was very well-kept, calm, wide open, and peaceful, and that really contributed to the sense of home that you refer to. The backyard also is a nice private oasis.

Much appreciated!

Old 09-19-2008, 12:29 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,480,102 times
The dark kitchen can be resolved using a Solar Tube Learn More About Solatube Daylighting Systems and why they are the smart alternative to skylights

That's an efficient kitchen. The work triangle is small, there is plenty of counter space next to the refrigerator for when you bring in groceries (a short walk because of the position of the garage/kitchen), next to the stove, which is nice and close to the sink, and past the sink for drying dishes, placing prepared food for carrying to the dining room, etc.

The rooms are well laid out, with good closet space and the shared bathroom is nice.

Open living areas are always odd, even larger ones. Use a sofa or chairs and a small shared table to "define" the wall between the family room and dining area if you need to. Leaving the space between them open would make the area feel larger.

I like where the washer/dryer are. It's away from the bedrooms, but that's also a good thing if someone is sleeping and someone else wants to do laundry. How lazy are we getting that we can't carry laundry 30 feet? Also acts as a mud room before walking into the kitchen.

I like it. I also like your description of the lot. Private, quiet yard on a tranquil cul-de-sac? Gimme.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:15 PM

6,864 posts, read 11,999,380 times
If a single person wants and can afford a 2000SF, 4000SF or 6000SF house, who's business is it?
Living room should be at least 14 feet wide 15 or 16 would be great for today's size of TV's otherwise you will feel like you're sitting in the first row in a movie theater. To save on building costs, too many homes are built with a narrow living room. It looks like a railroad car. And usually a door or window is in the wrong place.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:25 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,299,706 times
Would you have any funds to remodel at all if you wished?

I've just found most places, people seem to congregate and hang out in a couple of rooms only .. usually the kitchen being one.

For that reason I personally prefer a large open area rather than smaller, closed off spaces. Then you seem to make use of the whole place, rather than just a small portion. just my opinion of course ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House