Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type of fireplace do you prefer?
Gas 19 38.78%
Natural wood burning 30 61.22%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 02:03 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times

Advertisements

I prefer wood, but for a quick room warm up in the morning gas sure would be handy. Of course a space heater will do the same...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 02:51 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,876,449 times
We just installed a natural gas insert in our fireplace. I want no part of the trouble wood causes. Buying, hauling, cleanup, i'm agasinst it all. I like picking up my remote and cranking up the heat.
We had it installed in July when it was over 100 degrees out, so haven't tested it yet, but it's rated at 40k btu's and heats up to 2000 sq feet. Our house is double that size, but it should keep the center warm, and cut way down on have to run our two F/A units, which suck fuel like it's free.
In the past, we just wore several layers of clothes. Hoppefully those days are over.
As far as free wood, we live in the desert, so the only trees around are Yucca trees, illegal to cut, and it would be like trying to burn a water balloon. We should know in another month or so if our investment pays off...
I do love the sound and smell of wood, but too old and lazy to do the work. The romance factor only lasts past the second or third load of wood you chop and haul...

Old 09-28-2008, 06:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
What is the point of gas? You already have a gas furnace, just turn that on. A fireplace is for atmosphere and for some people delaying in turning on your furnace. Gas serves neither purpose.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:33 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,360 times
Well for me, gas fireplace is the only type available. And although I realize it is not as appealing to some as natural, I have stayed in hotels that have gas fireplaces, and it was a nice touch and better than nothing at all.

As far as the issue of replacing furnace, I agree that both sources use the same heat source, but because the fireplace is suppose to add heat to a room for a certain square footage, I thought I could keep the thermostat down and thereby not heating the upstairs rooms to 70 degrees, yet still feel comfortable downstairs because of the fireplace.

Why heat the entire home if you are only using certain areas during certain times of the day?

I think a separate thermostat would be idea. Not sure that I will get that. That is something I will find out in my precon meeting I guess.

But if I don't have a separate thermostat, I was thinking the fireplace may help me conserve heat. presently, my husband will turn the thermostat down to 65 or 62 when we are not at home and when we return, the house is chilly. Then he cranks up the thermostat to 74 and it is an hour or more until the house is comfortable. A fireplace would add instant warmth to our sitting area, and at the same time, would not need to warm up the rest of the house.
At night, blankets and warm sleeping clothing would be used to keep the thermostat to 68.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:29 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,504 times
Gas all the way here...love that remote and instant gratification!

Old 09-28-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
What is the point of gas? You already have a gas furnace, just turn that on. A fireplace is for atmosphere and for some people delaying in turning on your furnace. Gas serves neither purpose.
As I already explained, A high efficiency gas fireplace insert, will do a better job of heating, for a calculated saving of 60-70 % over the F/A units....
The standard "Builder installed" fireplace is rated at 5 -10 % efficiency, MAX, and is good only for atmosphere. My last two homes both had two of those useless units, and were never turned on. they served no purpose.
Now, with an insert rated at 90 % efficiency, I can heat my home much warmer for far less money. Not only will it save a huge amount on the gas bill, but the electric bill will also go way down.
I crank up two F/A units and it sucks gas like crazy, and the big blowers use a lot of electric. By using the gas fireplace, which uses two small blowers, to heat the majority of the house, the F/A units will be used as secondary units, and will run little, if at all.
Much warmer house, much less spent in gas and electricity.. No brainer..

Old 09-28-2008, 03:34 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,360 times
oh, well I guess I will have to ask the effiency of the fireplace I will be getting. Since this is a builder install, I bet it will be a non efficient one. LOL

Old 09-28-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
oh, well I guess I will have to ask the effiency of the fireplace I will be getting. Since this is a builder install, I bet it will be a non efficient one. LOL
If you are having a home built, you can specify that you want a real fireplace, not one to look pretty. The two homes I used to live in with the cheapo's were in OC, So Calif, where no fireplace was necessary. Now I live in the high desert, where temps can get down in the 20's, and occasionally the teens. Being the cheapskate I am, after much investigating, I figured it was worth it to invest $5k in a more efficient unit.
If you live in the cold country, you must have a fireplace store near you that can advise you. If you are building new, make sure you get a real fireplace. There are numerous manufactures who can do the job, we chose Mendota because they had the biggest unit available.
Examples....
Mendota - America's Luxury Fireplace | Gas Fireplaces, Inserts and Stoves
Blaze King Gas products (http://www.blazeking.com/gas-products.html#GAS_-_BURNING_INSERTS - broken link)
Welcome to Napoleon Fireplaces' Fireplace Design Studio
Regency Gas Fireplace Products - Gas Fireplace Inserts

Old 09-28-2008, 07:38 PM

83 posts, read 259,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Although wood has that wonderful smell and crackling sound, it burns my eyes, dries my skin, it's dirtier and more dangerous.
Hmm.. i thought gas is more dangerous? anyways, i prefer wood for my fireplace..

Old 09-29-2008, 08:08 AM

140 posts, read 859,433 times
They both have good and bad aspects.
Where I currently live I have a natural gas fireplace in my family room (which is 2 feet below ground level) and it does a nice job helping heat the room without making the upstairs overhot like the furnace would, trying to keep the family room warm.
My last house had a big stone fireplace that heated the family room very well also.It also had an outside wood boiler. At that house I had pleanty of wood 3 acres 3/4 wooded . My current house has only a few young trees and is only 1/4 acre with other homes very close by.
My next home will be on 5+ acres with lots of woods and I will have a woodstove and/or an outside wood boiler. With natural gas prices rising year after year, I think wood is the way to go if you have access to plenty of "Free" wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House