Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What kind of flooring do you prefer?
Hardwood floors (or other hard surface) 22 81.48%
Carpet 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:09 AM

156 posts, read 270,497 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for the pros and cons of both hardwood floors (or similar) and also carpet. My husband refuses to have any carpet in the house, and I grew up with carpet and would like carpet in the living room and/or the bedroom. I also think it'll keep the house warmer in the winter... So how about it?? Which do you like better and why? What makes you dislike the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 10:41 AM

15 posts, read 36,496 times
As an architect & an allergy sufferer who has to do all my own house keeping, I prefer hardwood floors with washable rugs. Use the non-skid shelf-liner material to keep rugs in place. They are machine washable/line or rack dry.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:50 AM

414 posts, read 1,862,575 times
We have carpet in the bedrooms and hardwood everywhere else. Just a personal preference, but it does well with the dogs. For resale, hardwood is definitely the way to go. Do real wood, no laminate.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:51 AM

3,463 posts, read 7,305,283 times
Definitely no carpet in my houses...and I don't want any carpet! I have hardwood floors with area rugs (mostly oriental rugs and runners) along with ceramic tile in the kitchen, laundry, baths and sunroom. Hardwood floors look a lot better than carpet. And when you add rugs it adds to the good looks and gives you the softness and warmth you might want in certain rooms, like a bedroom.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:00 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,522 times
I like both if they are tasteful,

I just sold a house with hardwood floors downstairs in the "main" part of the house and carpet upstairs in the bedrooms and thought it was perfect. I tend to like lighter colors and light carpet shows every speck of dirt, so it wouldn't do as well in the main living areas.
The hardwood was so easy to clean and the mat by the door caught the worst of the dirt we tracked in. My only issue was that the floors were cold in the winter. I plan on installing a radiant heat floor under the hardwood in my next house.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:32 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
We have laminate floors in the hall, kitchen, living and dining rooms (they're actually all one area in an open floor plan) with area rugs, and carpet in the bedrooms. The bathrooms have porcelain tile.

We originally planned to put in hardwood when we built our house, but our budget wouldn't allow it. We ended up with a really nice quality laminate, and two years later, I'm glad we have it rather than hardwood. With two dogs, I would have constantly worried about scratching. Our laminate has held up beautifully, and is so easy to take care of.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:32 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,190,973 times
I prefer carpet in the bedrooms, and bare floors covered with area rugs in the living areas. We currently have carpet in the LR/DR areas, and laminate in the kitchen/office & nook. We'll probably rip up the LR/DR carpet & laminate and stain the concrete slab. When done properly, it looks beautiful. Then I'll have to invest in a few nice area rugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House