Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:36 PM

6 posts, read 17,202 times

Advertisements

I really HATE first floor masters and ranch houses, for the most part.

My husband and I found a great ranch house once though, and it was in our price range. It felt right, for some reason. It didn't have everything I saw in my dream home, but it was affordable and in an excellent neighborhood- the area was quiet, and it had a big kitchen, and it was energy star certified. All the things we were lacking in our rental. It also had a fenced yard for our dogs and had a great view from the dining room window- we were on a corner lot across from a huge neighborhood park (not a public park, this was for residents only).

While I typically hate ranches, this house was a huge exception.

Our master suite was sort of off the living room, but it had this little nook with an archway right before it to give it more privacy. You couldn't see our bedroom from the couch, but you could see it from my recliner if the door was open. I kept the house spotless most of the time, so it wasn't a huge deal. It was separate from the other two bedrooms, so it had a good amount of privacy. The master bath was also heavenly. I loved my jacuzzi tub. It was a wonderful first house for us.

Someday I hope to have a two story with a second floor master, and a big living room with a stone fireplace and vaulted ceilings, and a balcony. Whenever we can afford it. Currently we moved out of state and we are trying to sell our cute little ranch.

I will never again buy a house with a first floor master- because it won't be nearly as nice once we have kids. For a couple without children it's great, but when I have kids I want to be on the same level as them. Also, I don't like the idea of people being able to jump the fence into my yard and look in my bedroom window. I have to keep the blinds shut all the time, which I hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 07:25 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,531 times
We are actually considering a house with a first floor master and I am wondering if this is the reason the house has not sold yet. We don't see many like this in our area, but the master is down a short hall off the foyer so I don't think noise would be an issue. The house is in great condition, 10 years old, 3400 square feet, 3 large upstairs bedrooms, 2.5 baths - its a large cape style home with a wide front porch. I think the first few years will be a pain since we have young kids and we'll be up and down a bit, but in a couple of years and in the later future I think we will welcome the seperation and having the first floor master. As far as burglers??? I don't get the difference if you are on the first or second floor sleeping how that has any impact on if someone breaks into your house?? I would feel no safer on a second floor versus a first floor bedroom sleeping. Perhaps I am less paranoid, but concerns about that aren't even top of mind on my list of pros/cons.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,319,638 times
We have a large first floor "master" - technically, because we actually use it as a guest room/office. We just didn't want our room to be away from our daughter's, and an office space downstairs is much more practical. My point is a "master" doesn't have to be used as a "master", any bedroom does the job (unless you don't have enough bedrooms for the whole family and don't want one or two of the kids to have the "master").

Old 03-26-2013, 08:56 AM

69 posts, read 246,450 times
First floor master suites in a two story home are very common in Texas. I see those more then all room upstairs. I have one and have three kids and its very beneficial to my hubby and I for privacy. The only draw back is, in my home at a certain angle you can see into the bedroom if in the living room.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:37 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayceesmom View Post
couldn't agree more.. no matter how nice they get
i always feel they are second-rate.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:24 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
When we retired we wanted all one one level but we would have looked at a two level if the master was on the first floor. If so, we would have simply shut down the 2nd floor unless guests.

We ended up with 2400sq ft, 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, all on one level.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,760 times
I like first floor masters since it can allow for one floor living. That makes it even better as you age. Then again, I have an elevator and every bedroom has a bathroom, so it wouldn't matter what floor the "master" is.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:18 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,871,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayceesmom View Post
couldn't agree more.. no matter how nice they get
i always feel they are second-rate.
I guess it really depends on the area. Like was said, down south especially in Texas, it is my experience that the cheaper houses have the master upstairs and are on smaller lots, (homes under $140K) while most of the more expensive two story homes have the master down and other bedrooms up. In our neighborhood, there are only a handful of homes with all bedrooms upstairs. The other 98% of two story homes have the master or even two bedrooms down. We really like having the master down since we don't have to go up the stairs everyday multiple times. Once our kids are all gone, we can literally turn off the upstairs.

I can see the point with little kids, but it was not a problem with us as our twins were born in this house. We did install a stackable washer/dryer upstairs in the wet bar area though to handle all of their laundry and my wife spent a lot of time upstairs with them in the gameroom.

A co-worker had a home with all bedrooms up, and in her neighborhood that was the biggest complaint when she was selling. No one liked the master up. They ended up dropping their price about $25K below other 4br 2-1/2 ba homes were selling for around them just to sell it. I guess it really depends on what you grew up with and probably what is considered normal where you live. I personally could never stand to live in a home with a second floor master!

Old 03-30-2013, 05:20 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Growing up I always slept on the second floor. Now as an adult I'd feel too vulnerable if my bedroom were on the first floor. I live, and have always lived, in fairly-to-very safe areas. But, sleeping downstairs I'd fear waking up with some burglar standing over me, or worse. If I'm on the second floor I like to think I'd have more time to react to something like that....hear someone coming in, or up the stairs.

For me (young enough that stairs aren't an issue) -- it's strictly a 'perception' thing. Before I chose my current house I looked at one rancher that had the BR on the first floor near the front door. I walked into the BR sat on the bed, walked into the master bath, and noticed both, master bathroom door and BR window were at or near windows on the front of the house -- oh, He11 no. I knew when the realtor said we were going to a rancher I'd have a bias against it -- so I really needed to see how I'd feel in that bedroom. I sat closed my eyes, to see if I could feel comfortable. Nope!

MAYBE if the first floor BR were at the back of the house (fenced yard) we could TALK about it....MAYBE.

But after saying all that whenever I'd visit family (as a child or adult) in a very rural area who had ranchers -- or staying in motels where you can park outside the door -- sleeping on the ground floor never once bothered me. I know...it's strictly psychological. In that very rural environment crime is just so NOT an issue that I can't perceive of anyone breaking in the same way I could imagine it happening in a more populated/suburban/urban area. (It is after all more likely, so I'm not THAT crazy and off the mark about it)

Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymbd View Post
First floor master suites in a two story home are very common in Texas. I see those more then all room upstairs. I have one and have three kids and its very beneficial to my hubby and I for privacy. The only draw back is, in my home at a certain angle you can see into the bedroom if in the living room.
You're right - I live in Texas and used to sell real estate here. Texans in general (I know there are exceptions) for some reason MUCH prefer the master bedroom downstairs. In fact, around here an upstairs master bedroom is definitely considered less than desirable - a negative in the sale of a home.

I am in my early fifties. No kids at home. My husband and I are in great shape. Even so, we will not consider a home with an upstairs master. One bout of an Achilles tendon injury made a believer out of me - I cannot IMAGINE having to navigate a flight of stairs on crutches! Hey - it can happen to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House