Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 07:07 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,659,836 times

Advertisements

When we bought our house, we weren't too worried about not having a formal dining room. Now we see that most homes here do seem to have one. My question is: How important is it to have a formal dining area when it comes to resale? Do any of you realtors out there have a approx. percentage of how many perspective home buyers have a dining room on their "must have" list. Any info. is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 07:12 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,175,641 times
I like having a formal dining room primarily because I now have a dining room set I love. If I didn't have my dining room set, it wouldn't be nearly as important to me. The living room however I could care less about.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:15 PM

43,031 posts, read 76,548,777 times
Don't stress about it.
If it is a smaller home, many formal DR's are about useless and a waste of SF.
Now if you are in the 2800+ SF range, it might be different.

If your home appealed to you, it will appeal to someone else when it comes time to sell it. Until then, enjoy it!

Location, Location, Location, and Condition, Condition, Condition...

Old 02-18-2007, 07:30 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,659,836 times
Wow! Thanks for the quick replies! It's nice to know that I can rely on people in this forum for help.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:00 AM

50 posts, read 272,389 times
Formal dining and formal living rooms were on my don't want list so it all depends on the buyer. They always just seem like wasted space that rarely gets used.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:19 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,389,068 times
This was sorta discussed briefly on the "what will you compromise on a home" thread, recently.

There seems to be two very different approaches with formal living rooms and formal dining rooms.
Some say they prefer a modern big open floor plan, where kitchen, dining and den are all one giant open space.
Others prefer the traditional separate formals. Kitchen, dining room and living room all in separate rooms.
It really depends on your entertaining style probably. I've also been told one's family unit can play into it as well...with families preferring the open floor plan and singles/childless couples/empty-nesters preferring the separate formals. (But that's probably just a guess.)

I'm in the latter camp myself. As I mentioned in that other thread, I don't want my dinner guests eating within sight-view of the mess I just made in the kitchen cooking the dinner! I just don't find it appetizing.

Some of the biggest and best parties I've ever been to was at this friend's historic Victorian house in the Oakwood neighborhood downtown. Not only did it have a separate formal dining and formal living room...it even has an old-fashioned parlor! What we liked about this set up is that if you have a large number of guests, people break up in smaller "conversation clusters" in each room...and shuffle themselves every hour or so...which can be pretty fun.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:35 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,727,090 times
We're one of those families that eat dinner in the dining room almost every night. It's not fancy dinner but the dinning room just feels like a good place to gather. Plus who can relax at the kitchen table while dirty pots stare at you. We tried the kitchen table for a while but dinner never seemed to be as relaxed as it is in the dining room.

We eat breakfast at the kitchen table. My the kids work on projects or homework there. But we do use our dining room daily.

I do have friends who have turned the dining room into:
1) a library (they are childless)
2) a game room (they have 3 kids)
3) a craft room for mom (they have 2 kids)
4) a ROCK CLIMBING WALL (They are childless. But they invite all the neighborhood kids over to climb with them.)

It's just a space .... do whatever feels right for you and your home. Unless, you plan on resale... then don't wallpaper. I'll accept a rock climbing dining room over a wall papered one. LOL! But thats just me.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:01 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,440,962 times
Ninety five percent of people use their formal dining room about four times a year.

Seriously, who the heck would sit in here?
http://www.efofurniture.com/img/diningroom_formal.jpg (broken link)
If a home has a family room, 95% of people use their formal living room about, yep, four times a year.

Looks like a museum and uncomfortable too.
http://www.margaretdonaldsoninteriors.com/images/CREEKSIDE%20LIVING%20ROOM.jpg (broken link)

Waste of space.

My guess is that when builders perform market research, people's responses are affected by their images of what a home should be like (television).

Same with the realtor calling a backyard "an entertainer's dream" to take advantage of a prospective buyer's vision of a big entertainer.

"I can picture me...."

Old 05-17-2009, 11:30 AM

22,261 posts, read 47,190,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ninety five percent of people use their formal dining room about four times a year.

Can you cite a credible source for that?

Here in western PA, separate dining rooms - whether they are formal or informal - are still very much the norm.

We use ours a lot, and we would not consider a house that did not have a separate dining room.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:34 PM

878 posts, read 2,726,797 times
I am somewhat torn on this...while I may only use mine 4 times a year...I would never buy a home without one...so take that for what it's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House