Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 11:14 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
Why would anyone buying a home ask the seller if all proper permits were in order when the deck was built? For all they new, the deck was built when the home was built and covered under that permit...who would even ask for that? It is natural to assume that all things done by the prior owner were done according to the law.
Experienced buyers, realtors and real estate lawyers who know how non-permitted work can create expensive problems, that's who. I don't know what it's like where you live, but around here permitting is so expensive and the bureaucracy is such a b*#ch to deal with that it's not uncommon at all for people to try to skirt the permitting process. In fact, it's how one of the tenants in my last apartment building got out of her lease and got her security deposit back: she threatened to call the city and tell them about non-permitted work the landlord was doing on another unit at the time.

It is a naive and potentially costly assumption that everything has been done according to the letter of the law. Maybe first-time buyers don't think about this, but savvy buyers do. Realtors certainly should, and if they don't, they're not doing their job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 11:40 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It is a naive and potentially costly assumption that everything has been done according to the letter of the law. Maybe first-time buyers don't think about this, but savvy buyers do. Realtors certainly should, and if they don't, they're not doing their job.
I agree with you on this point. When I was purchasing my home, the first thing I did was to go the City and check their records on file for any permits. I didn't want any surprises.

I think at the time, any job costing over $400 required a permit. So it wasn't too hard to figure out what had been done to the house that may require a permit. I was prepared to redo the things I found if I had a problem with the City over lack of permit. But I have never had a problem. Neither the previous owner or the real estate agent provided any information to me on any upgrades to the property. I think you have to look into City records and see what is on file. You can't trust others to give you all the skinny. Do some of the homework yourself.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:54 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I agree with you on this point. When I was purchasing my home, the first thing I did was to go the City and check their records on file for any permits. I didn't want any surprises.

I think at the time, any job costing over $400 required a permit. So it wasn't too hard to figure out what had been done to the house that may require a permit. I was prepared to redo the things I found if I had a problem with the City over lack of permit. But I have never had a problem. Neither the previous owner or the real estate agent provided any information to me on any upgrades to the property. I think you have to look into City records and see what is on file. You can't trust others to give you all the skinny. Do some of the homework yourself.
Also, is there is a well or septic check with the health department.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:28 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
City/County records are not always complete or the structure may pre-date permit requirements.

Sold a home with a small detached cottage built as a photography studio in 1941.

The Buyers made it living quarters and the neighbors complained. I was dragged into it because the buyer's relative was an attorney an alleged I had sold a non-permitted cottage.

I got it all straightened out with a visit to the Code Compliance Officer after searching county records. Only additions after WWII had been converted to digital format and included on the building Departments Data Base... so only a physical document search could provide the proof.

Anyway... I produced the documents for the photography studio to the inspector had said the problem is the bathroom.

The Bathroom was added by the Buyers and had nothing to do with me

Old 11-02-2008, 09:01 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
City/County records are not always complete or the structure may pre-date permit requirements.

Sold a home with a small detached cottage built as a photography studio in 1941.

The Buyers made it living quarters and the neighbors complained. I was dragged into it because the buyer's relative was an attorney an alleged I had sold a non-permitted cottage.

I got it all straightened out with a visit to the Code Compliance Officer after searching county records. Only additions after WWII had been converted to digital format and included on the building Departments Data Base... so only a physical document search could provide the proof.

Anyway... I produced the documents for the photography studio to the inspector had said the problem is the bathroom.

The Bathroom was added by the Buyers and had nothing to do with me
I live in a home that was built in 1918. Obviously City records are not available that far back, especially permits. But if you are purchasing a more recent home built in the last few decades, these records are probably available to you. In the case of the original poster, a new deck was built in 2005. City records would show whether a permit was taken out or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House