Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 04:02 PM

464 posts, read 1,742,072 times

Advertisements

If so, which brand did you use , did it stick good, how long does it last before repainting, and...do you think it helped make the inside of your house cooler ? Have you done anything else to reduce the Cooling Load thru your roof if you own a Mobile Home ? Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 09:41 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
There is a house in my neighborhood that had the radiant barrier paint on top of the shingles (about 40% of the shingles were lost to Ike). My major complaint with the stuff is that it is hideously ugly, but I'm inclined to believe that any "easy" efficiency solution is probably a scam.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:44 PM

Silver Reflective Paint for shingled roofs has lots of benefits. Reflects thereby reducing the cooling load on the roof equating to money saved in a/c operating time, seals well against leaks, prolongs the roof decking from reduced heat buildup, and I think it looks neat.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:52 PM

622 posts, read 3,113,157 times
Isn't there a paint for the underside of the roof? Researching reflective foil applications, I've briefly come across the paint-on reflective surface for a similar effect as the foil.

I think it works about the same or slightly less than the actual foil.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
Isn't there a paint for the underside of the roof? Researching reflective foil applications, I've briefly come across the paint-on reflective surface for a similar effect as the foil.

I think it works about the same or slightly less than the actual foil.
There might be for conventional homes with an attic space , but a Mobile Home doesnt have an attic .

Old 11-05-2008, 05:41 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,989 times
Henry products: "henry 280" silver reflective material, and "henry 220" which is the same stuff but has fiber in it. good product, check for use on asphalt shingles. I have only used it on flat comp roofs.

If you do go the 280 route, get a large paint mixer that attaches to your drill. Its much easier to mix the fiber into the liquid.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:36 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Sealing a shingle roof with any coating can cause big problems. Coatings are for flat roofs that are watertight.

Shingles shed water & coating then with anything can trap water as its trying to run off causing it to move laterally under a shingle & leak. If you want a reflective shingle roof replace your shingles with a white shingle or there are asphaly shingles coated with metal foil too.

I'm a coppersmith by trade but we do alot of roof repairs as well & a large part of our work is the result of someone coating a shingle roof with tar or some other sealant that creates dams which prevents runoff & causes leaks.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Sealing a shingle roof with any coating can cause big problems. Coatings are for flat roofs that are watertight.

Shingles shed water & coating then with anything can trap water as its trying to run off causing it to move laterally under a shingle & leak. If you want a reflective shingle roof replace your shingles with a white shingle or there are asphaly shingles coated with metal foil too.

I'm a coppersmith by trade but we do alot of roof repairs as well & a large part of our work is the result of someone coating a shingle roof with tar or some other sealant that creates dams which prevents runoff & causes leaks.
It would seem this major supplier would disagree with you : Roof Coatings & Foundation Coatings from Gardner-Gibson . In fact, they say it helps seal against leaks.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:08 AM

1 posts, read 10,503 times
Tin Knocker is correct. I installed several layers of the Henry solar reflecting product to my shingled roof. All was fine during the summer. But during the rainy wet season, the roof began to leak due to dams and the sealant preventing run offs. We ended up replacing the entire roof and it was an expensive lesson to learn that coating for shingle roofs is NOT a good idea.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:31 AM

54 posts, read 237,177 times
I would suggest installing a metal roof over the existing shingles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House